Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    I tried to resist even looking at this thread because I did not notice this before...and usually when I notice things like this it will drive me crazy. Mine does it..but there is no noise and I doubt I would have ever figured this out.
    Mine doesn't do it. Solid back. 32GB by the way.
  3. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    looks like you're pressing down mighty hard to get that effect to me....don't know what the case is sticking to but I bet you can get the same result from any tablet, minus that sticky sound, if you press as hard as you are doing on the back.
    mine does that. Sticky sound also. Didn't do it out of box. Took a few days.

Okay, Update, My 16gb one does it, My wife's 32gb one doesn't.
    Last edited by batcountry; 09/02/2011 at 03:24 PM.
    Mine does it too, same sticky feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    I am replacing my unit. I was able to use another one and it did not exhibit the same behavior is mine.
    osu9400, my wife's TP has the exact same issue (mine does not). Wondering if and how you replaced your unit (through HP directly? through who you bought it from? if through HP did you have any problems getting them to acknowledge it's an issue?)
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colorebel View Post
    osu9400, my wife's TP has the exact same issue (mine does not). Wondering if and how you replaced your unit (through HP directly? through who you bought it from? if through HP did you have any problems getting them to acknowledge it's an issue?)
    I replaced mine through the company I purchased mine from. But, this was pre fire sale.
    This is one of the reasons I stay away from items that have been displayed in stores or are refurbs or used. People will put them through the toughness test to satisfy their curiosity...yikes!
    Sure, except my wife's TP, and from reading about osu9400's original TP, was brand new. I'm wondering if hers only acted this way after sitting on the Touchstone, perhaps heat generated by the Touchstone caused this to occur? She just started leaving hers on it doubling as a digital photo frame.

osu9400, did you use a Touchstone with your original TP and then noticed this? Or, did you notice the flexing right out of the box?
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    What's a normal defect rate for mass produced consumer electronics? What's the MTBF on consumer electronics like these? I don't know these answers, but it would add more substance to this thread if I did.

Most of us don't question that hardware defects exist in a product launch like this, but if it's not a widely reported issue & it does not adversely impact the function of the device, I'd spin it & say it's not a build quality issue, but rather a user defined design inconvenience. I think it's right to post this thread & these things need to be heard, but make it productive. Some questions for you & HP:

1. Did it adversely affect the function of the device or compromise the integrity of other parts?

2. Is it intended to perform/behave in that manner?

3. If No to #2, what percentage of units failed to perform/behave to the intended quality standard?

Sorry, too much 'work' on the mind. But I really don't think there are many folks who don't believe there are legitimate defects, it's just that most users in this forum have not experienced the same issue, or simply haven't been concerned with it. Would you prefer rigid, non-flexible surfaces that would crack, break, or crease? You already did the right thing & took it back, so what's the point now in taking a presumptuous shot at the precentral community?
    I don't think he's specifically only referring to this issue. It's funny you mention the "rigid, non-flexible surfaces that would crack". Not sure if you haven't seen the thread about the case cracking near the speakers or not... but it's obviously an issue.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    It was out of the box before my touchstone arrived.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slingster View Post
    This is one of the reasons I stay away from items that have been displayed in stores or are refurbs or used. People will put them through the toughness test to satisfy their curiosity...yikes!
    I see what you're saying, but I did NOT put this through a "toughness" test -- unless you consider simply holding it in my hands a "test." The unit was defective. The back case was squishy and flexible as, well, a cheap piece of plastic that wasn’t fastened to anything for reinforcement.
    Not saying these aren't real (and yes I have seen the crack threads and posted in them)... this does very much remind me of "OREO" for those of us that have been around the last 2 years.

Really happening? yes
    everybody "testing" it exacerbating the problem? YES
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    The back of my TP flexes... I assumed the open space was for the benefit of the speakers and the sound they produce so well, like open space in a subwoofer. That was my uneducated guess anyway :P

Palm Pre build quality issues? lol, look at my sig

TP build quality issues? Nah... people drop stuff and don't like to admit it :P hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    TP build quality issues? Nah... people drop stuff and don't like to admit it :P hehe
    Man I dropped by uncased un screen protected Veer a couple weeks back, my wife got on me super bad. Hit of a curved curb and shot under my moms car (screen up thankfully)... this is why I insure my phones. Also good thing I bought a black one, as the only damage is a lil rough spot on the front of the ruberized plastic around the front bezzle.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Really happening? yes
    everybody "testing" it exacerbating the problem? YES
    Well in my case, I just picked up one and felt it give unlike another one. I'm not going to try to replicate it for fun and tempt fate that it breaks.

At the same time I think it's totally appropriate for people to post on here and discover what they're finding. Are these isolated instances or systemic? Don't know, but that's partially why I'm here. Especially if there's consensus and discovery that this is a product defect -- I may have a small window of opportunity to seek a replacement given the uniqueness of the product availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorebel View Post
    Well in my case, I just picked up one and felt it give unlike another one. I'm not going to try to replicate it for fun and tempt fate that it breaks.

At the same time I think it's totally appropriate for people to post on here and discover what they're finding. Are these isolated instances or systemic? Don't know, but that's partially why I'm here. Especially if there's consensus and discovery that this is a product defect -- I may have a small window of opportunity to seek a replacement given the uniqueness of the product availability.
    My point being, that if you go back a few months and it sure looks like we are getting ready for another of these threads... People were "testing" their devices for flex and pushing the screen into the device. Now go back 2 years and people were "testing" for oreo. The problem with these intentional "tests" is of course they are going to lead to a higher failure rate.

Here's a thread I found with a quick search, I am sure there was others.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-included.html

Another, about people pushing in the screen, etc
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 09/09/2011 at 04:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Man I dropped by uncased un screen protected Veer a couple weeks back, my wife got on me super bad. Hit of a curved curb and shot under my moms car (screen up thankfully)... this is why I insure my phones. Also good thing I bought a black one, as the only damage is a lil rough spot on the front of the ruberized plastic around the front bezzle.
    I missed the boat on all the $50 veers so I'm watching ebay for the price to fall to about $60. I'll buy one and cancel my insurance
    Build Quality Issue?

Because of Flexing you blame build quality? Ok so then because my:

*Printer
    *Car Door
    *Shoe Sole
    *Cupboards
    *PC Tower
    *Tupperware Bowl
    *Toilet seat (Couldn't Resist)
    *Etc.

All afford a little flex instead of cracking in half there is a build quality?
    I feel like I have to be on the defensive here if your comment refers to me. Nowhere in my posts am I specifically questioning build quality. I have two TPs. One exhibits a behavior that the other doesn't. If you had two brand new cars, the same models, one of them had a car door that flexed and the other had none, wouldn't you at least be questioning things?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast