Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JayhawkOne
  1.    #1  
    Stopped by Office Max today to pick up some printer ink, and hoped to play with a TP while I was there. They had one on display, but it wouldn't turn on. I quickly realized this was because it was plugged in, but the micro-USB metal part of the plug was bent all to heck. I tried to bend it back but it didn't want to work. I'm guessing the TP was out of juice, and that's why it wouldn't turn on.

So, after looking around for someone to tell (and not finding anyone) I went about my shopping. While looking at USB keyboards, someone did ask if I needed help. I said no, but told him about the Touchpad. I suggested they just get a micro-USB cord and replace it, since it doesn't HAVE to be an HP plug. They weren't aware of the problem, despite the fact that the TP faces the front door. He also said they probably didn't notice because they couldn't get the TP up and running because there's no wifi in the store. I suppose that means they couldn't get a profile signed in.

It's shocking to me that the individual stores aren't getting more help. The cord issue was understandable ... someone turned gorilla on it. However, not even being able to get the unit signed in so it can be properly demoed is inexcusable. There needs to be a regional rep for each area who can come in, bring a mobile hotspot, and fix these issues.

With all of this said, they did also have a Galaxy Tab for sale, and it was locked down with a password, and thus couldn't be demoed. So ... it wasn't just the TP. I guess this is what happens when an office supply store tries to sell something other than printer cartridges and paper.
    did you let them tether to your Pre long enough to activate the touchpad?
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    Office Max

Enough Said
    Interesting report, I went to my local best buy on sunday to grab a touchstone for my TP and while I was there I told a customer that was tablet shopping that the TP was the bomb... I also have an Acer Iconia running android..... He said, let me check it out... Upon trying to get the thing to turn on we realized that the battery was dead and it was not charging? We made sure everything was plugged in correctly but then I noticed the metal prong inside the charging port was all effed up, the Best Buy employee said its already the 3rd TP they have had on display and they also had to replace one usb cable... Needless to say, the customer was not too impressed:'( I asked why they dont just put a touchstone up there to really show off and he said they couldn't. Anyway, not a good sign about the quality of this thing if the demo model cant stay up and running, hard to sell TP when you cant play with it but you can play with 15 other tablets....
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you let them tether to your Pre long enough to activate the touchpad?
    Would have, if the TP would turn on. No juice because the charger plug was busted.
    Sabotage?!
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    Sabotage?!
    This thread isn't the first time people have mentioned this issue for demo units.

It really makes me wonder.......
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    toy4x4 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    This thread isn't the first time people have mentioned this issue for demo units.

It really makes me wonder.......
    May sound wacky, but I had the same thought before reading your comment and the one you replied to. If the vitriol against the TP I've seen on these
    and other boards is any indication, it's not that far-fetched.
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    He also said they probably didn't notice because they couldn't get the TP up and running because there's no wifi in the store. I suppose that means they couldn't get a profile signed in.
    Same thing at a best buy I went to. They had wifi but had been unable to get the TP onto it so it wasn't able to do anything.