1.    #1  
    I am having trouble pairing my TP with my phone (HTC Desire). Neither device finds the other irrespective of what order I use. Am I being silly again?
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I think you need to have a webOS phone in order to pair it with the Touchpad.

I've paired a set of bluetooth speakers, a bluetooth headset, and my Sprint Pre.
  3.    #3  
    Interesting, thank you. There is certainly an option to pair with a web Os phone, but there is also an option for 'other' devices. I did manage to pair TP with my partner's Galaxy Tab. Just seems strange that TP will not pick up HTC phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee McKillop View Post
    I am having trouble pairing my TP with my phone (HTC Desire). Neither device finds the other irrespective of what order I use. Am I being silly again?
    Desire with stock ROM I presume? You set visibility correctly on Desire?
  5.    #5  
    Too technical a question - I think so! Option 'make device visible' enabled - still no luck (remember I'm new to this).
    You need to set visible for BOTH devices for first bluetooth pairing.
    I tried a week ago and I couldn't pair my Nexus S 4G with my TP so I'm guessing you can't. Hopefully just yet.

Sent from that Nexus S 4G via Tapatalk
  8.    #8  
    I eventually managed to call the UK Touchpad Technical Support number (after trying 4 other incorrect numbers) only to be told that it is NOT possible to pair an android phone to my TP. The agent that I spoke to could not tell me of this was a technical fault (that would be fixed by an OTA update) or if it is just a 'limitation' of web os. This is NOT impressive and I am really disappointed at the level of 'technical support' that was on offer. Not a deal breaker but will certainly not help in the TP sales pitch.
    that seems odd, I would have thought the touchpad would connect using standard Bluetooth protocol for headsets, therefore allowing any bluetooth enabled phone to connect, obviously not how they're doing it.
    although you're not missing much by not pairing to your phone. The caller can hear them selves when you answer via TP, its very off-putting to them
    That is odd. My car stereo (Sony MEX-BT2900) will fully control my WP7 with over BT. It even notifies of new text and email messages and shows signal strength and battery charge. I wonder why this isn't done on the TP.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I don't think there is any technical reason why the TouchPad can't pair with pretty much any Bluetooth-capable phone for transferring calls to the tablet. Instead, I suspect that HP made the conscious decision to limit that pairing only to WebOS devices as a tactical decision to try and drive sales of the tablet/phone combo.

Assuming HP doesn't change their mind on that, I wouldn't be too surprised if we see a Homebrew patch for it sooner or later...

-Jeff
    I'm thinking that some missing functionality in Bluetooth may get fixed in the OTA. It makes no sense to have a Bluetooth device that only pairs with devices from the same manufacturer. My Touchpad won't pair with my Kenwood stereo in my truck or with my wife's blackberry, yet it pairs to the Pre and my headsets. I can't see HP doing this on purpose just to sell phones. That would be completely stupid on their part. I'm waiting rather impatiently for this update.

Maybe we should start a thread on what the TP does connect to on Bluetooth?
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    It makes no sense to have a Bluetooth device that only pairs with devices from the same manufacturer.
    I'll bet it would explode in their face
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamKillerJKFFL View Post
    That is odd. My car stereo (Sony MEX-BT2900) will fully control my WP7 with over BT. It even notifies of new text and email messages and shows signal strength and battery charge. I wonder why this isn't done on the TP.
    I HATE sony decks, but that is a nicely priced deck for the amount of features, more features than the clarion we currently have in one car.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...