How do I take a photo with this thing?
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    You don't....
    65fastback likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    How do I take a photo with this thing?
    Right now, you have three choices:

1. Wait until the photo app is updated and operational.
    2. Use your phone or digital camera.
    3. Use your phone or digital camera, but take the picture of the reflection of whatever you're trying to photograph bouncing off the touchpad's screen.
    at the moment, there is no camera app in webOS 3.0.

But everybody is suggesting, that there will one coming down the road with an update.
    What about this thread here?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

copy the com.palm.app.camera folder to /media/internal
    go into usb mode and copy folder to desktop
    modify appinfo.Jason with "uiRevision": "2", on line before last
    use palm-package and make the ipk
    use palm-install to install the IPK on your Touchpad

Works pretty well.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Thanks for the replies. I think my expectations were unfairly too high for this device. Shipping this device without a camera app is bizarre. I have seen it in pre-release forms since February and though it would be more "mature" than this. I understand the 3.0.2 update is coming this week. I will reserve more judgement until that is applied.
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osu9400 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I think my expectations were unfairly too high for this device. Shipping this device without a camera app is bizarre. I have seen it in pre-release forms since February and though it would be more "mature" than this. I understand the 3.0.2 update is coming this week. I will reserve more judgement until that is applied.
    You do realize that the only camera on the TP is the front facing one that was designed for video calling. There is no rear facing camera. I have often thought it amusing that anyone would want to take a photograph with a 10" device, seems very inconvenient. IMHO HP made the right decision with no rear facing camera.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    You do realize that the only camera on the TP is the front facing one that was designed for video calling. There is no rear facing camera. I have often thought it amusing that anyone would want to take a photograph with a 10" device, seems very inconvenient. IMHO HP made the right decision with no rear facing camera.
    That still doesn't excuse no camera app. I agree that the rear facing camera probably wouldn't have been that helpful, but I still think HP should have shipped with a camera program for the front facing camera that can do videos or photos.

Really, they should have software like Photo Booth on the Mac and iPad 2, that can also add effects and backgrounds to your photos and video, and maybe add in a digital zoom or face tracking modes too.

Of course, I don't see that happening ever, but it'd be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    That still doesn't excuse no camera app. I agree that the rear facing camera probably wouldn't have been that helpful, but I still think HP should have shipped with a camera program for the front facing camera that can do videos or photos.

Really, they should have software like Photo Booth on the Mac and iPad 2, that can also add effects and backgrounds to your photos and video, and maybe add in a digital zoom or face tracking modes too.

Of course, I don't see that happening ever, but it'd be nice.
    +1 Alot of the younger generation (myself included) like to take funny photos or self photos and post them as Facebook profiles. plus their fun to mess with. idk why this generation likes looking at themselves so much but without a camera app, alot of the youngins will be dissapointed.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    I found out how to take a photo with the TouchPad.

1) Hold the TouchPad near your face
    2) Have a friend use a digital camera to take a photo of you WITH the TouchPad

It is like magic!

:-)

It's not about "taking photos," (at least not in the traditional sense of photo-taking) it's about sharing what you are seeing with someone with whom you are on Skype or Facetime.
    Exactly... I have yet to take a pic with my rear camera on my ipad2 but I have very often used the rear camera during face times to share what was happening around me.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    It's not about "taking photos," (at least not in the traditional sense of photo-taking) it's about sharing what you are seeing with someone with whom you are on Skype or Facetime.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Yes I realize the only camera is on the front and I think that is a huge mistake. I was at an HP event in Dallas last month and they said they didn't see a use for it. If they don't see a use for it, then why does the HP Slate 500 have dual cameras? Their job is to anticipate what others may want and they got it wrong with the TouchPad. True, not everyone will want/need/use this, but I would. Heck, even my Kids Nintendo DSi has dual camera.

Regardless, it shipped this way. The big issue now is why is there no camera app? That is nearly inexcusable and needs to be fixed with the 3.0.2 update this week!