webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > [HowTo] Force Remove Album from Photos App
[HowTo] Force Remove Album from Photos App
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille

Old 07/19/2011, 06:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Legend

I noticed a particularly bad issue, where empty albums wouldn't be stuck in the photos app.

Myself, I've had this happen 3 times, twice with facebook albums. So I did some digging and came up with this command-line based solution:
  1. Enter this command:
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 -a com.palm.app.photos luna://com.palm.db/find '{"query":{"from":"com.palm.media.image.album:1"}}'
    That will list info on all albums found. It could be a LOT of data, depending on the amount of photos/videos on your TouchPad
  2. In the returned data, look for an entry who's "name" value is the album you want to delete
  3. Notice the "_id" value from that entry. Write that down somewhere; it's a critical piece of info you'll need.
  4. Using that "_id" value, enter this command:
    Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.service.photos/deleteAlbum '["putthevaluehere"]'
    And naturally replace "putthevaluehere" with your "_id" value, though keep it in quotes. This command will force-remove the album.

Repeat steps 2-4 for additional albums you want to remove

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 07/19/2011 at 06:16 AM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by catallah likes this.
Old 07/19/2011, 06:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thx Jason!
Confirming to work as advertised!
T.
Old 07/19/2011, 06:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks Jason,
it's good to know. but i have too many of those phantom albums since my nephew logged into facebook using my TouchPad and i can't go one-by-one.

those teenagers have too many albums.

I guess i'll have to wait for the OTA...

WritePad HD - http://goo.gl/8RQmn
Coloring Book HD - http://goo.gl/XgezU
Animal Baby Piano - http://goo.gl/Y5UXg
Four in a row - http://goo.gl/tHF63
avnera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2011, 01:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I also was going to try this...but there is way too many of them. Thanks for the info though Jason!!
catallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2011, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have this issue with only one album I created. So I assume I would need to get into developer mode to do this?

Up until now I have very little experience with preware, but have a feeling it will be useful to know on the tablet.
miles4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/19/2011, 03:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
I have this issue with only one album I created. So I assume I would need to get into developer mode to do this?

Up until now I have very little experience with preware, but have a feeling it will be useful to know on the tablet.
you would need developer mode yes. Just use WebOS Quick Install, and choose the Linux Commandline option. That'll bring up the commandline window you can enter all the commands into

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Old 07/19/2011, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow! I was able to delete 20 FB garbage albums. Somebody logged into FaceBook with his account and left me those pain in the *** leftovers. I finally know how to run a query from ssh! Thx Jason!
thedizzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2011, 10:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alternative - USB mode

Connect to computer - delete album (or just the photos, if the folder is a keeper)

If the folder was emptied via the TP, there are a few more steps...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3016420

-rayray
until swiping-to-delete photos becomes a reality...
rayraypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/26/2011, 11:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayraypre View Post
Alternative - USB mode

Connect to computer - delete album (or just the photos, if the folder is a keeper)

If the folder was emptied via the TP, there are a few more steps...

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3016420

-rayray
until swiping-to-delete photos becomes a reality...
Unfortunately, that doesn't work with empty facebook albums afaik

Old 07/27/2011, 03:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Not sure if this is the same issue you guys are talking about or not. I added about 8 gigs of music to my TP using USB and drag and drop. So each album (or maybe artist) had its own folder. When I got back on, my Photos/Videos app generated a separate folder, for each album cover. I had hundreds of folders, each containing a thumbnail and a larger image of each cover. It makes scrolling through photos/videos daunting. I tried every way I could think of to delete these files, and whenever I went back to the photos/videos app, they always regenerated. I even deleted all of the music, and all of the folders that contained the music (via usb), and then I deleted all of the images, and when I got back on the device, they all regenerated again!!! Help!!!
fyzzixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/21/2011, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

For the love of god, that has to be a simpler way to delete photo albums from Facebook on the TouchPad.

I might just wipe it completely at this point.

Last edited by hawt; 08/21/2011 at 03:41 PM.
liamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/28/2011, 05:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

I had enabled Facebook photos and then later disabled this feature. It removed the albums from the Photos app but I noticed their was an entire folder structure under /media/internal/.photosapps devoted to thumbnails and resized versions of the facebook photos. I deleted that but then figured there would be db entries for these.

Thanks to the command in the OP, I see them. The command to delete them doesn't seem to work though. It reports back that they have been deleted but after a reboot they are still listed in the database. Has the 3.0.2 update changed this method somehow?
jtfolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2011, 04:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

I've got this problem too... Jason, if we backup our USB partition, could we then run a command to just delete all albums? Then wanted albums (like Camera, Downloads) could be restored to the USB partition from the backup...
dadueler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2011, 09:52 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzzixman View Post
Not sure if this is the same issue you guys are talking about or not. I added about 8 gigs of music to my TP using USB and drag and drop. So each album (or maybe artist) had its own folder. When I got back on, my Photos/Videos app generated a separate folder, for each album cover. I had hundreds of folders, each containing a thumbnail and a larger image of each cover. It makes scrolling through photos/videos daunting. I tried every way I could think of to delete these files, and whenever I went back to the photos/videos app, they always regenerated. I even deleted all of the music, and all of the folders that contained the music (via usb), and then I deleted all of the images, and when I got back on the device, they all regenerated again!!! Help!!!
The Music Album covers is exactly my problem! I would like to be able to specify which folders on my device have pictures that are included in Photos and Videos. Right now the device appears to simply add every image file it finds to an album. Even better yet, just include folders that are in a specific folder, e.g. Pictures in the device folder hierarchy.

BTW, I just had a lengthy chat with Live Chat on this subject and the individual had no clue what to do. At one point she told me to erase my device and start over. How can we get HP to provide better support?
jmichaelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2012, 08:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

This album art fiasco on the Touchpad is ridiculous. I am not going to use it as a music player.
J.Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/04/2012, 11:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

I had a similar problem with albums the Media Indexer somehow created for the graphics files in apps stored on the /media volume.

I deleted the DB8 entries using Impostah, which is easier than doing it from the command line.

Thanks Jason!
Old 10/16/2012, 03:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

Actually, I was just reseaching this and came across this thread. There is an fairly easy fix.

The problem is that Windows Media Play makes extra files when discs are ripped. Several album art files that are downloaded for the album as well as a few system files. The issue is really in Windows Media Player and not the Pre.

After the album folders are copied to the Pre these additional files go with them. I think it's easiest to copy all the albums you want to the Pre. Go to Widows Control Panel and type "Folder" in the Search Control Panel box. Click Show Hidden Files and Folders. In the advanced settings window click the button that says "Show hidden files, folders and drives." Click OK

With the Pre still in USB mode open the folder where all the audio files are and in the search box type ".jpg" Select all (ctrl+A) and then delete all that are found. You can also delete the .ini, .ptn and ,db files if you want too.

You can reset the Folder Options back to not showing system items if you want.
maxmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

my way to delete the folder album that have pictures:
1/ tap the PENCIL icon @ the lower right corner
2/ tap "Select All" @ top right >>> tap the TRASH CAN icon below >> tap "DELETE"
3/ (QUICK) tap another folder on the left column

That album will be deleted together with all of its contents.

If you don't do step 3 right, you will have to tap "delete the empty album" button.
Mokonabaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2012, 01:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokonabaka View Post
my way to delete the folder album that have pictures:
1/ tap the PENCIL icon @ the lower right corner
2/ tap "Select All" @ top right >>> tap the TRASH CAN icon below >> tap "DELETE"
3/ (QUICK) tap another folder on the left column

That album will be deleted together with all of its contents.

If you don't do step 3 right, you will have to tap "delete the empty album" button.
I thought albums such as Facebook ones are stubbornly hard to remove?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0