Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By dnbernar
  • 3 Post By k4ever
  • 1 Post By ksom
  1.    #1  
    I've been on the fence trying to decide between the Touchpad and the iPad2. It's been frustrating not being able to view the app store or have access to the new facebook app on the touchpad so I've been waiting for the software update to make my decision. I'm one of those people that likes to do a lot of research to see how electronics will function for my use before I take the plunge.

My main uses for the touchpad will be web surfing, facebook, email and chat.

Having chat integrated with the pre3 is a big bonus, or it would be if the Pre3 were availaible--on sprint. The HP rep said it would be coming to Sprint when I rant into him at Bestbuy, but we will see.

I love the way my Pre- handles email and the email app on the touchpad looks great, so I don't have any worries there.

I've heard good things about the facebook app that HP created for the touchpad so that is a plus over the ipad2 as well.

Now here is where the touchpad really shines. The web browser's flash capabilities and printing. I tested out several web pages over the weekend and compared the experience to the iPad2. Try these out for yourself. (I'm in the interior design industry so this would be my main use.)

Gunkelmans Interior Design :: Residential/Commercial
    This website is not viewable at all on the iPad2 so it doesn't really exist to an iPad user, but it is at least viewable on the touchpad even though the gallery is not entirely functional.

Welcome to Gabberts | Gabbert's Design Studio & Fine Furnishings
    Check out the smoothness and speed of the animation. It works on the iPad2, but looks a lot better on the touchpad.

Bel Air Apartment Sofa - Sofas / Loveseats - Furniture - Products - Ralph Lauren Home - RalphLaurenHome.com
    Try clicking on the print icon on the bottom of the page. The iPad2 tries to open another window then goes back to the original and I can't print off a tear sheet. I have to print the entire webpage with extra information. I printed the same page using the touchpad and it printed just the way I wanted.

STICKLEY - Collector Quality Furniture Since 1900
    Now this is a big one. I can totally access this room planner using the Touchpad. It's not the most ideal way to create a floor plan, but it sure is a great way to make some minor adjustments or to be able to view plans you have created on your desktop. The program can't even be accessed by the iPad2 because it's all flash. What a dissapointment for me on the iPad2. I know they have an app called LivingRoom that I'd like to see on the touchpad someday, but for now I can use icovia on my desktop and access it on my touchpad for free.

Minneapolis Interior Design | Gallery
    You can view the photo gallery on the Touchpad, but not on the iPad.

I just thought I'd share my findings. If you have any other great examples of why flash is so important please share them. I can't believe all of the iPad users are okay without flash. I just feel like I would have to go to my laptop or desktop all the time with the iPad. I wonder when they will make and app for that?
    Waiting for webOS...
    Rnp likes this.
    the facebook app has been called the best facebook app on any device. I concur, it is outstanding.
    If your priorities are email, chat, facebook and web browsing then there is no better option than touchpad. It has the best browser I have used, it has the best facebook app, BY FAR the best email client (not necessarily features wise, but user interface wise), and it has synergy for all your chat clients so you dont need to worry about information all over the place.

I think touchpad is a perfect fit for you.
    dnbernar,

You mean there was not an app in the iOS store for those websites that provide more "functionality" or the developers did not take the time to recode them in HTML5? Say it isn't so!

I'm kidding! I also think the Touchpad is a perfect fit for you or anyone else that likes to browse the Internet on his/her tablet.

I recently was looking online for a new car. Almost all of the major car brand sites have elements written in flash. There was some glitches but I was able to access all of these sites on the Touchpad. I needed information about the Miami Zoo. The front page of the site is written in flash. I was able to see it on the Touchpad. Almost every major media and information site has flash elements built in. It is so ubiquitous that I think you are getting cheated browsing without it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    dnbernar,

You mean there was not an app in the iOS store for those websites that provide more "functionality" or the developers did not take the time to recode them in HTML5? Say it isn't so!

I'm kidding! I also think the Touchpad is a perfect fit for you or anyone else that likes to browse the Internet on his/her tablet.

I recently was looking online for a new car. Almost all of the major car brand sites have elements written in flash. There was some glitches but I was able to access all of these sites on the Touchpad. I needed information about the Miami Zoo. The front page of the site is written in flash. I was able to see it on the Touchpad. Almost every major media and information site has flash elements built in. It is so ubiquitous that I think you are getting cheated browsing without it.
    But honestly, Jobs is right. Flash sucks. Really bad. After YEARS upon YEARS of updating (and lagging on them too), Adobe has not managed to make flash very usable on a touchscreen. It requires "hover," which is only enabled with a mouse. All they need to do is design flash to do a tap and hold thing and they can get it. Its either that, or wait until every device has one of those touchscreens that can sense how close your finger is to the screen so you can "hover" on top of the screen so that flash can respond.

All that flash is good for is videos, which HTML5 can do BETTER. I really dislike Adobe when it comes to flash. The only reason they don't work harder at updating it is because they have little to no competition. They need to be kicked out because Flash is no goo for touch screens.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    HP and Adobe should gang up and run a commercial to show case some of these Flash sites. Run an iPad vs. TP ad like the PC vs. Mac ad. Or do something like the Droid, can do compaign.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    dnbernar likes this.
    although i love flash, you guys are totally right. flash is hard to use on a touchscreen. Adobe needs to come out with an easier method optimized for mobile touch devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    But honestly, Jobs is right. Flash sucks. Really bad. After YEARS upon YEARS of updating (and lagging on them too), Adobe has not managed to make flash very usable on a touchscreen. It requires "hover," which is only enabled with a mouse. All they need to do is design flash to do a tap and hold thing and they can get it. Its either that, or wait until every device has one of those touchscreens that can sense how close your finger is to the screen so you can "hover" on top of the screen so that flash can respond.

All that flash is good for is videos, which HTML5 can do BETTER. I really dislike Adobe when it comes to flash. The only reason they don't work harder at updating it is because they have little to no competition. They need to be kicked out because Flash is no goo for touch screens.
    Same thing Linux users said a long time ago, except for the touchscreen comment, so you proved my point. I've had the Touchpad since launch day. 19 days and counting and flash has not crashed the browser on the Touchpad yet. There are definitely some minor buggy elements (just like with all software) but it is the poster child for stability. Flash takes down my desktop browser almost once a week and my Android tablet at least once an hour. If HP can work with Adobe to make flash better for webOS why can't Apple do the same? Are HP's engineers just plain better than Apple's?

Besides we are talking about one user's needs and clearly if he needs to view these site the iPad is not the way to go. No flash equals no viewing of the sites he wants to view.
    The only problem that I have with Flash is menu navigation with fat fingers. If someone has a flash menu system you basically have to brush the heading to make the sub-menu appear to click the option that you are looking for. Other than that, I can watch my Red vs. Blue beautifully on my TP in full screen, so that makes up for a minor menu problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdini View Post
    The only problem that I have with Flash is menu navigation with fat fingers. If someone has a flash menu system you basically have to brush the heading to make the sub-menu appear to click the option that you are looking for. Other than that, I can watch my Red vs. Blue beautifully on my TP in full screen, so that makes up for a minor menu problem.
    I have had issues with entering data, like zip codes, into some flash dialog boxes. I also have problems with video ads for movie sites and for Hulu choking (not playing and causing delays or showing a blank screen). Flash definitely needs some polishing in areas but at least HP and Adobe prioritized stability first on the Touchpad or even added it at all.