Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I often check the new app section of the HP catalog and I usually notice that the apps I already have installed or on that list which means there is an update for that app. So I go and check with system updates and nothing, it tells me no updates.

like I heard about the kindle update, ran systems updates and nothing. I had to manually look for the update myself

anyone else notice or have that problem?
    restart your device, and it should check for updates on start up. Hopefully this will be fixed in the update.
    try looking in the software manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    restart your device, and it should check for updates on start up. Hopefully this will be fixed in the update.
    Restarting the device helps in getting the notification, one time. But that does not help in actually downloading the update, since when you click on the update notification, it only opens the 'software manager', which blinks once and then shows an error message stating "This action cannot be completed. Try later." This is a problem being faced by several people in the forum, including myself. The fact is that there is a bug in the 'software manager' and or in it's interface with the app catalog, which is preventing many people from being able to update apps on the TouchPad. Fortunately for some of us, somehow the 'App catalog' got updated and since the new vbersion of the 'app catalog' shows the "updates" option, we have been manually searching thru the 'app catalog' for avaialble updates and updating via that route. Ofcourse this is a tedious and rather unsophisticated way of updating apps, but atleast it's working for now. But then again as the 'app catalog' get's larger, this work around too may not be effective any more.

PS: I even doctored my TouchPad, simply to try and resolve this issue which by the way seemingly appeared around the time of the update to the 'app catalog'.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Quote Originally Posted by carr76013 View Post
    try looking in the software manager
    'software manager' shows you nothing.

these are known issues, and i'm really hoping the are fixed in 3.0.2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Not true for everyone. My software manager does not always automatically notify me of app updates, but it does sometimes. For example, yesterday morning I received a notification of 6 app updates.

This morning the software manager on my Pre 2 notified me of one app update.

The Software Manager clearly still needs work but it is working for some people.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    My touchpad did not tell me I had an update for the Kindle app, but when I ran the software manager there was a notification at the bottom of the page stating updates were available. I can't say for sure there was a problem, as someone else may have ignored the notification.
    I'm having this problem too. The only way I was able to get the updated Kindle App was to delete it and download it again. The app catalog didn't even have the update listed for me - I only had the launch button. I occassionally will get a notification that says i have updates available, but as soon as I touch the notification I get the message saying that they can't be downloaded at this time. I have yet to see any update notices when I open the Software Manager. As of today I was able to see some updates in the App Catalog. I hope I don't have the same issue with the expected webOS update.
    Quote Originally Posted by krisnicaj View Post
    I often check the new app section of the HP catalog and I usually notice that the apps I already have installed or on that list which means there is an update for that app. So I go and check with system updates and nothing, it tells me no updates.

like I heard about the kindle update, ran systems updates and nothing. I had to manually look for the update myself

anyone else notice or have that problem?
    You mean you got the Kindle App update in India? Why hasn't Canada gotten it yet?? !@#$
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Not true for everyone. My software manager does not always automatically notify me of app updates, but it does sometimes. For example, yesterday morning I received a notification of 6 app updates.

This morning the software manager on my Pre 2 notified me of one app update.

The Software Manager clearly still needs work but it is working for some people.
    True. It's my software manager that advises me most times.
    I've been having the same problems as well (having to manually update through the App Catalog.) There's a problem with the Software Manager. Most of the time (if not all) I will receive a notification. But when I act on it, I get a message stating "cannot be completed at this time." I had a couple of live chats with support (through the Software Manager help menu.) After repeating myself several times (I knew more about webOS than both of them) I was told they needed a few minutes to look into this issue. I was told to do a "Erase Apps & Data" through the Device Info App to correct the problem. I have not done this yet...it's too "inconvenient" to sync all my e-mail accounts again, setup FB, lose all app data & wait for everything to download & install from the cloud. If the problem is not corrected with the next webOS update I'll try this route.

But one thing I noticed is that if I wait for awhile after I receive the notification, then updating through Software Manager works for me. I think the problem may be that the notification is coming when Software Manager is not ready yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    these are known issues, and i'm really hoping the are fixed in 3.0.2
    3.0.2 is here and unfortunately the issue is not fixed. In fact, HP claims they are not even aware of this issue.

The software manager is working well for me in 3.0.2. I've received notifications for the past 2 days of several updates each day.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The software manager is working well for me in 3.0.2. I've received notifications for the past 2 days of several updates each day.
    For me, I can get software manager to show notifications of available updates by simply rebooting webOS. The real problem is after I click on the notification, the software manager opens up, but does not actually show me the avaialble updates and simply always ends with an error message stating that "This action cannot be completed. Try later."

By the way, I am not alone in facing this issue and in fact several others have complained about having the same issue with webOS 3.0.0 and now also with 3.0.2.

Good news or so it seems. HP may have finally gotten around to fixing this issue. Today, all on it's own, that is without my rebooting the touchpad, there was a notification from software manager for 'one' available update. As usual I clicked on the notification, expecting 'software manager' to open and then give the error message, but to my surprise, the 'software manager' showed the application available and I clicked on the update option and it successfully updated the app. Let's hope the problem is finally gone for good and that this was not just a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Actually it does. Go into "software manager" and scroll down through your apps. As your flicking down the screen, the # of updates that you have will suddenly show in the bottom of the screen (before you actually reach the bottom). I just checked and mine showed 1 update available.
    affected by same bug. In software manager now and flicking around - no updates show (though I know what you mean since similar behavior works on my 2.1 phone). /var/log/messages shows an error and I posted that on palm developer forums. Hopefully they'll acknowlege error and get it fixed in a post 3.0.2 build. For now, just go to the app catalog and look for apps with "update" next to them or if you know one has an update. Annoying agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    affected by same bug. In software manager now and flicking around - no updates show (though I know what you mean since similar behavior works on my 2.1 phone). /var/log/messages shows an error and I posted that on palm developer forums. Hopefully they'll acknowlege error and get it fixed in a post 3.0.2 build. For now, just go to the app catalog and look for apps with "update" next to them or if you know one has an update. Annoying agree.
    Did you have any updates after you flicked on screen, in software manager, and didn't see any? Sorry about the bug. Software manager worked for me since they first started updated. Initially it loaded the updated list right away. As more stuff got added, I found flicking on the screen gave the system time to see the updates.
    This happens to me also. Updates in the App Catalog, buy not in the Software Manager.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast