Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE SECOND PAGE OF THE ARTICLE!

Take care,

Jay

Amazon in frame as breakthrough partner for webOS

Former Palm chief Rubinstein waxes lyrical about merits of Amazon as a licensee for HP's cloud system, though no talks confirmed
    By CAROLINE GABRIEL

Amazon in frame as breakthrough partner for webOS - Rethink Wireless

The game of intrigue about which mobile operating system will dominate the emerging breed of cloud devices gets more interesting. With some clouds on Android's horizon thanks to successive patent attacks, new contenders - specifically tailored for the new browser/cloud environment - are seeking to establish their hold. Chrome OS, MeeGo and RIM's QNX are among the players, but there is real weight behind HP's effort to put webOS at the heart of the cloud. Last week it reorganized the executives behind the platform, and one of them is even hinting at a tie-up with cloud major Amazon.

Jon Rubinstein, former CEO of Palm, gained a broader role within the new personal systems division last week, but was effectively removed from direct control of webOS, signalling the death of Palm or a serious smartphone strategy at HP. Instead, the OS will underpin a far more interesting push to be the cloud client OS in every kind of device from printers to tablets, with a few flagship gadgets, like the new TouchPad, to showcase the software capabilities.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    mobilover likes this.
    I am so praying for this to happen!!
    While I had hoped that HP alone could bring webOS to the top, I would not be against this in any way as long as HP follows in Microsoft's footsteps and creates minimum standards for devices so we don't end up with a fragmented ecosystem ala android.
    I dream of World Wide webOS.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilover View Post
    While I had hoped that HP alone could bring webOS to the top, I would not be against this in any way as long as HP follows in Microsoft's footsteps and creates minimum standards for devices so we don't end up with a fragmented ecosystem ala android.
    Partnering with Amazon is not the something as what Android does.
    I'm a big fan of Amazon services and if HP partners with Amazon it would be awesome.
    Could a E-Ink webOS based future tablet be possible?
    I think Amazon is a great choice when it comes to partners. This would not only mean a significant leg up for both platforms, but also a solid option for both player (ebook and mobile/computer space). Not sure if anyone agrees, but Android is getting ugly and the competition is not showing any signs of fixing the problems for both mobile and tablets.

Either way, HP and Amazon have my blessing (like they need it) and I think it would be very cool. Sorli...
    bb147 and Rnp like this.
    i hope Amazon realizes that they could really build a true iPad competitor with webOS and the Touchpad family, because of the integration of hardware and software... something that Android tablets will never be able to offer.
    did anyone notice something about no more serious smartphones with webos?

?????

isn't that why all of us came to sites like treo and precentral?

I for one don't care about webOS' success on tablets and printers and the cloud only. I will always need a phone that I can carry, a smartphone. A webOS smartphone is what I want and desire, one that has HP's full support...not one that's an afterthought like the veer and pre2 have become, soon to be joined by the pre3.
    If the Kindle app is any indicator where things are heading with webOS...it's 2:24am, listening to Queen "play the game" via Moodagent (btw great app) in the background, and finished reading my first book on Kindle (Harry Potter's Collector Handbook - introduction was very informative).

My life and free time just got more complicated! ;-) Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

?????

I for one don't care about webOS' success on tablets and printers and the cloud only. I will always need a phone that I can carry, a smartphone. A webOS smartphone is what I want and desire, one that has HP's full support...not one that's an afterthought like the veer and pre2 have become, soon to be joined by the pre3.
    I didnt catch that and thanks for the heads-up. HP where's my Pre 3 on Sprint (had to say it before someone else chimed in) and yes we want phones. Android Sucks! Sorli...
    Wouldnt mind seeing something along the lines of an "Amazon Tablet by HP" but I do want HP to maintain complete control of WebOS on phones and Tablets.

That said, I want more phones with WebOS. I WANT MY PRE3!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I didnt catch that and thanks for the heads-up. HP where's my Pre 3 on Sprint (had to say it before someone else chimed in) and yes we want phones. Android Sucks! Sorli...
    My may interest in WebOS is smart phone, too. A phone is a must have, an tablet is a nice to have thing. I would be very disappointed if HP slows down phone development.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    if no more serious phones with webos, sadly the touchpad will be my last webos/HP purchase. I want an ecosystem with powerful hardware for each aspect of that system, smartphone, tablet, printer, etc. I'm losing hope each day for future webos innovation in all forms amid concerns that HP is mainly focused tablets and toasters. We shall see I guessc

oh I want pre 3 on sprint plz ;-)
    I just read the article again...and HP did not signal the death of Smartphones or Serious Smartphones...the writer is interpreting the Tea Leaves as most Journalists do.

I guess in any given moment, you can listen to someone and figure a way to make something sound like worse then what it is. HP isn't leaving Smartphones anytime soon...they are the foundation that makes webOS possible and without them is simply a harder in-road. Sorli...
    The author needs to get serious and do their homework. HP's strategy would go nowhere if they abandon smartphones. Recent research has clearly demonstrated that the masses are becoming more dependent on smartphones for web access, and mobile devices in general. PC sales have gone down.

It is no accident that HP bought Palm. Had they just continued to focus on PCs and printers they would start to lose market share. They could read the writing on the wall and needed an OS that could compete in the market. HP's overall strategy would be without foundation, if they abandoned smartphones.

It is my belief that now that Ruby has been laterally transferred, we will see more of a serious strategy for smartphones, not the reverse. Think about it, the focus of HP's old Palm division has been too diffuse over the past year (changing OS systems, trying to put out a tablet as well as smartphones, integrating companies, etc.). The tablet future has already been moved over to the laptop folks (e.g. the folks that made the Envy). This leaves the division to focus on Smartphones. It is my belief that once the Pre 3 hits, we'll start to see more offerings of phones. This could be enhanced further by the possible licensing of the OS to third party companies such as Samsung.
    Last edited by Treo Musketeers; 07/19/2011 at 01:06 PM.
    All for One and One for All!
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post

?????

That was the authors take.. I'd venture to speculate seriously against that conclusion...

Smartphones, as a market, is a HUGE one, and HP will want to be a significant part of that.

What the author does get, though, is that WebOS is MORE than just a smartphone OS, and HP's efforts to increase its use to many hardware platforms will be serious and far reaching...which will, in effect, help the WebOS smartphone products gain mainstream recognition, whether HP branded or built by Samsung, HTC, Motorolla, etc...

BTW, the Amazon connnection is one we have speculated on since JR was invited to join their BOD months ago... this stuff doesnt happen for no reason.

HP has huge hardware sales channel breadth, and Amazon has proven to be one of the most powerful online retailers in the world...

THAT, is a partnership that would give most any single product some huge commercial exposure... it would be very interesting if HP and Amazon were building a single hardware product line based on WebOS, wouldnt it?

(sorry, it just had to be said..)

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I'm a big fan of Amazon services and if HP partners with Amazon it would be awesome.
    Yep, it would be an incredible partnership. These are the two companies out there who I think just "get it" when it comes to the next evolution in computing which is, in my opinion, is cloud technology and device synergy. To bring the powerhouses behind both of these technologies together would be a thing of beauty for consumers.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jahjahlove View Post
    Could a E-Ink webOS based future tablet be possible?
    If e-ink's redraw performance could be improved (judging by how long it takes for my Kindle to display a new page), imagine what that would do for readability and battery life.

But can they make it fast enough to play Angry Birds?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    The author needs to get serious and do their homework. HP's strategy would go nowhere if they abandon smartphones. Recent research has clearly demonstrated that the masses are becoming more dependent on smartphones for web access, and mobile devices in general. PC sales have gone down.

It is no accident that HP bought Palm. Had they just continued to focus on PCs and printers they would start to lose market share. They could read the writing on the wall and needed an OS that could compete in the market. HP's overall strategy would be without foundation, if they abandoned smartphones.

It is my belief that now that Ruby has been laterally transferred, we will see more of a serious strategy for smartphones, not the reverse. Think about it, the focus of HP's old Palm division has been to diffuse over the past year (changing OS systems, trying to put out a tablet as well as smartphones, integrating companies, etc.). The tablet future has already been moved over to the laptop folks (e.g. the folks that made the Envy). This leaves the division to focus on Smartphones. It is my belief that once the Pre 3 hits, we'll start to see more offerings of phones. This could be enhanced further by the possible licensing of the OS to third party companies such as Samsung.
    I always thought getting rid of the Palm name is a bad idea. What I thought they should do is rebrand webOS to being an HP product (since it will be on a lot of different devices) but keep the Palm name for phones. HP, afterall, has such a great history with phones...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast