Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    ...but I wonder about people who say they've always been fans and jumped on buying a TouchPad...
    Why? That pretty much sums me up perfectly...just sayin'

I had the original pre, and I loved webOS, but the phone's hardware was just dreadfully awful. I am very impressed with people that are still holding on to it. I moved on to an HTC Evo, then an Epic 4g (yes, I buy too many phones, I am now on a Droid Charge), and the growth of Android has been phenomenal, the community at XDA and Rootzwiki is awesome (if sometimes catty, it's like a soap opera for nerds sometimes). I am completely happy with Android. But I still love webOS.

When the iPad was announced, I decided I wanted the form factor, and that webOS was perfect for it. So I decided, basically the day the iPad was announced, that I would buy the webOS tablet that I knew would, at some point, be in the works. It gave me what I was looking for, the device that I wanted to be running webOS, because there are just too many limitations for the OS on phones (for me).
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    I have had my TP since day one and have had only one wifi issue. I had my home router set to use 802.1 N only and the TP would not hook up to it. Switched it to g only and have not had a single problem since and have connected to my android phone, a couple different public sites and my home network without issue.
    sent via my Touchpad and Webos 3.0.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I seem to remember hearing that webOS devices don't work well with D-Link routers. What kind of router do you have?
    No wifi issues here using my home wireless n and g networks (tried both) and had it since July 1. I have had two pretty poor experiences with the Butler service and the two people I spoke to both sounded far away as in a delay and had heavy accents that sounded like Indian to me. To the poster who said they are not based in India, I am curious how he or she knows this and where they are based?

They had good attitudes but could not provide help for me. They clearly search a database and make you hold for a while--but again very professional and friendly.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Took a while for it to find my wireless n network but it did and no problems once it found it. You may want to try again and give it more time.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Works fine with my D-Link DIR-615, so maybe there are issues with some D-Link routers.... I haven't encountered any with that one.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    did you try other access points? Mine has been great on a buffalo router at home and the 802.11x at work. Zero issues!
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Works fine with my D-Link DIR-615, so maybe there are issues with some D-Link routers.... I haven't encountered any with that one.
    That's the same one I have. I have it on "mixed mode g & n" and it works great.
    No problems on my end with Dlink routers as well. Both at work and home.
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    @^$#*@! this thing I tried to open my garage door with it and the <bleeping> thing woudn't do that simple thing. Dumb *#*!@$ thing!

duncanjameshill likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    @^$#*@! this thing I tried to open my garage door with it and the <bleeping> thing woudn't do that simple thing. Dumb *#*!@$ thing!

I'd prefer you use instead of exposing us to all that profanity........
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    It's always the same. Some Wifi Clients (Wifi chips) have problems with some other Wifi Hotspots (Wifi chips).
    Even though Wifi is a standard it's well known that there are problems with some combination of Wifi chips.
    First thing I would do if I had problems is searching for the latest firmware of the Hotspot/Router.
    I had problems with pre- not staying connected while sleeping. Flashing the latest firmware fixed it (German AVM FritzBox).
    Who is to blame? The router or the TP? Nobody knows.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Well, because I have a life outside of this forum I am unresponsive. Jeez, I only posted this yesterday. I had posted the wi-fi and other issues in the bug forum several days ago and kept trying to make the TP work. When I first found Precentral I thought it was a pretty positive, helpful place. I guess it's just like most other places on the web - there are always a few people who have to make personal attaks on other posters. It's not like I was making this up, and the three tech people I spoke with were not proficient in English and had a distinctly foreign accent, so if it's not India then it may be the Phillipines. But the fact is I spent a lot of my hard earned money on something that didn't work, I tried to make it work, and finally gave up.

As to the specific wi-fi issues, which I posted elsewhere: on three different wireless routers (only one encrypted) and my hotspot I experienced the same problems - the TP would show a signal, I would connect, or try to connect, and it might really be connected or just say it was and not be able to get on any websites. Sometimes it would connect fine and when I would change web pages it would disconnect. Even when I was able to use the wi-fi it was significantly slower than my wife's iPad, which was a drag after preaching about how much better webOS is than the other options. The third level tech guy agreed that something was seriously wrong with the unit because we couldn't even get it to reset.

As I said, I will probably wait a few months until HP can work out the bugs and try again.
    dmglouis and AZ8 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobrodan View Post
    Well, because I have a life outside of this forum I am unresponsive. Jeez, I only posted this yesterday. I had posted the wi-fi and other issues in the bug forum several days ago and kept trying to make the TP work. When I first found Precentral I thought it was a pretty positive, helpful place. I guess it's just like most other places on the web - there are always a few people who have to make personal attaks on other posters. It's not like I was making this up, and the three tech people I spoke with were not proficient in English and had a distinctly foreign accent, so if it's not India then it may be the Phillipines. But the fact is I spent a lot of my hard earned money on something that didn't work, I tried to make it work, and finally gave up.

As to the specific wi-fi issues, which I posted elsewhere: on three different wireless routers (only one encrypted) and my hotspot I experienced the same problems - the TP would show a signal, I would connect, or try to connect, and it might really be connected or just say it was and not be able to get on any websites. Sometimes it would connect fine and when I would change web pages it would disconnect. Even when I was able to use the wi-fi it was significantly slower than my wife's iPad, which was a drag after preaching about how much better webOS is than the other options. The third level tech guy agreed that something was seriously wrong with the unit because we couldn't even get it to reset.

As I said, I will probably wait a few months until HP can work out the bugs and try again.
    I'd definitely take that one back. I don't blame you!
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    If you like TP in general why don' just return faulty one and take new? If you are experiencing some other bugs beside WI-FI issue you can again take new one and wait till end of the month to pick promised OS update. But if you didn't enjoy TP experience than its ok to take it back to store.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    Why? That pretty much sums me up perfectly...just sayin'

I had the original pre, and I loved webOS, but the phone's hardware was just dreadfully awful. I am very impressed with people that are still holding on to it. I moved on to an HTC Evo, then an Epic 4g (yes, I buy too many phones, I am now on a Droid Charge), and the growth of Android has been phenomenal, the community at XDA and Rootzwiki is awesome (if sometimes catty, it's like a soap opera for nerds sometimes). I am completely happy with Android. But I still love webOS.

When the iPad was announced, I decided I wanted the form factor, and that webOS was perfect for it. So I decided, basically the day the iPad was announced, that I would buy the webOS tablet that I knew would, at some point, be in the works. It gave me what I was looking for, the device that I wanted to be running webOS, because there are just too many limitations for the OS on phones (for me).
    Don't take this the wrong way, you're a device junky. There is no legitimate purpose for these tablets. They're nice, but most of us are finding things for them to do that we previously didn't do.

If I didn't have four Pre's in the family and I didn't already reside on PreCentral, I wouldn't have known about or purchased a TouchPad. I never wanted an iPad. My previous laptops were on 1 to 3 lbs. I saw no reason to get a tablet that didn't give me the performance of my mini laptops.

I now have the tablet, and I'll give it a chance. If it gets doc editing soon, it will be worthwhile. Otherwise, I give it to a family member and grab a mini-laptop that gives me the functionality I want.

The mini laptop also comes @ the premium price of 2K extra so there's hope. I won't be able to use Quicken, but I'm using excel and mint.com for my on the go banking. Because of the TouchPad, I'm doing a lot of nifty things that I should have done all along. Thus, it was worth the initial purchase; but I knew what the device lacked before I purchased it (except the Kindle) which has now been fixed.

Right now my doc editing is through Google, but that means I can't edit a doc if I don't have access to wifi. That piece needs to be changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    If you like TP in general why don' just return faulty one and take new? If you are experiencing some other bugs beside WI-FI issue you can again take new one and wait till end of the month to pick promised OS update. But if you didn't enjoy TP experience than its ok to take it back to store.
    Yeah, this was my point. You clearly have a effective unit, but there are bound to be some. Instead of sitting on c/s and getting all frustrated (since customer support is almost always frustrating) just take the thing back and exchange it for a new one. Lots of people have TIps that don't have this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, you're a device junky.
    Yes. I mean, I prefer "gadget junkie," but I wiuld never deny this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    chalx, my sentiments exactly. This problem is only effecting that particular Touchpad. Why not take it back and get another one? There is something else driving the OP away from the Touchpad.

Edit: No matter what the issue is it's the OP's choice on whether or not he wants to keep the device.
    Last edited by k4ever; 07/19/2011 at 08:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
    the webos butler service is NOT operated out of India.. fyi.
    Sounds like it to me. I called them last night for a browser issue and it seemed to me it was an international call for sure. Complete with static and delay on the lines.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12