Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Is there a way to display your emails in HTML format? When I get emails from my hotmail account, I see them in Rich text and not HTML ... so it comes out all distored...

    Anyway to change this?
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  2. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #2  
    Check your hotmail settings.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Check your hotmail settings.
    Could you be more specific? I looked at the email preference and more specifically hotmail.. but could not see any preferences which have to do with format.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  4. #4  
    I think this is a bug that you should report to HP. It also happens to my Exchange emails, except, they are not even RTF, they are plain text. Although someone mentioned that my issue may be related to the Exchange server not supporting HTML on mobile devices. I can't imagine that same Exchange issue would affect Hotmail but who knows.
  5.    #5  
    I believe the problem is due to having Hotmail setup as an exchange account. It would seem that the Touchpad does not support HTML when using it as an exchange account.

    Can anyone confirm this?

    For those who don't know how to set this up and want to try, use the following manual settings when adding the account:

    Email address:
    address@hotmail.com

    Server address:
    m.hotmail.com

    Domain:
    blank

    Username:
    address@hotmail.com

    Password:
    ******
    This server requires an encrypted SSL connection.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
    iamhives likes this.
  6. #6  
    you are correct. HTML is not supported for exchange.

    Don't know when they will or not have it available

    Quote Originally Posted by benleroux View Post
    I believe the problem is due to having Hotmail setup as an exchange account. It would seem that the Touchpad does not support HTML when using it as an exchange account.

    Can anyone confirm this?

    For those who don't know how to set this up and want to try, use the following manual settings when adding the account:

    Email address:
    address@hotmail.com

    Server address:
    m.hotmail.com

    Domain:
    blank

    Username:
    address@hotmail.com

    Password:
    ******
    This server requires an encrypted SSL connection.
  7.    #7  
    Can this be patched? I would love to know if it can...

    I find it silly that it doesn't support HTML... using Hotmail as an Exchange account is so much more practical than a POP3.. which supports HTML I bet.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  8. #8  
    The problem with Hotmail not showing in HTML when using exchange is Microsofts fault. Microsoft uses EAS 2.5 for hotmail which doesnt support HTML officially. webOS follows that setting strictly which is why it doesn't show as HTML, neither the pres nor the TP. I really want HTML support as well for hotmail, so I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can patch it.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDizzAR View Post
    The problem with Hotmail not showing in HTML when using exchange is Microsofts fault. Microsoft uses EAS 2.5 for hotmail which doesnt support HTML officially. webOS follows that setting strictly which is why it doesn't show as HTML, neither the pres nor the TP. I really want HTML support as well for hotmail, so I'll have a look tomorrow to see if I can patch it.
    I think that would be a popular patch indeed.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  10. #10  
    Can't patch this, as I have to explain to people all the time at work. With exchange, this is happening "server" side, it is based on exchange settings.

    Now you *could* setup a gmail account and use push from gmail. Then have gmail pull your POP3 from hotmail. This was how both the wife and I have transitioned from hotmail to something with proper mobile support (we still keep our hotmail for the stuff we didn't want to have to update to gmail, and gmail pulls it all and syncs it nicely).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Can't patch this, as I have to explain to people all the time at work. With exchange, this is happening "server" side, it is based on exchange settings.

    Now you *could* setup a gmail account and use push from gmail. Then have gmail pull your POP3 from hotmail. This was how both the wife and I have transitioned from hotmail to something with proper mobile support (we still keep our hotmail for the stuff we didn't want to have to update to gmail, and gmail pulls it all and syncs it nicely).
    If it's happening server side then how does the iOS email app bypass that server-side restriction?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If it's happening server side then how does the iOS email app bypass that server-side restriction?
    This is iOS with hotmail access setup as exchange? Shouldn't be a way to bypass the EAS setup on hotmail, since hotmail controls the EAS support version not the end user.

    Looks like it's iOS modifying the way it looks at EAS 2.5. Since EAS 2.5 by is not designed to handle HTML, iOS is not staying strick to the 2.5 standard. Wonder what the downside of this is.

    Just guessing here, but a device modifying the way it view EAS rules could give pause to some IT departments.

    So maybe this could be patched into the E-Mail client, this is where my input on this one ends unfortunately, not sure if you can just patch the EAS settings.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 07/22/2011 at 02:30 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  13. #13  
    "This is iOS with hotmail access setup as exchange?"

    In my setup, it is iOS accessing a 2007 Exchange server account directly. The emails I get through the iPhone are formatted html. But those same html formatted emails show up as text on my Touchpad.

    So there should be something that can be patched on the Touchpad to get it to retrieve/display the emails as html if the iOS can.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jobsqeu View Post
    "This is iOS with hotmail access setup as exchange?"

    In my setup, it is iOS accessing a 2007 Exchange server account directly. The emails I get through the iPhone are formatted html. But those same html formatted emails show up as text on my Touchpad.

    So there should be something that can be patched on the Touchpad to get it to retrieve/display the emails as html if the iOS can.
    2007 has html built in, so this is a separate issue from the Hotmail Exchange.

    This could be software side or server side. I would check with your IT on this to confirm the Exchange server is sending HTML e-mails to the TP. If they can confirm this then it is the e-mail app. Of course, if they can't confirm, then it doesn't rule out the e-mail app.

    So before looking at a patch for your specific issue, you would need to confirm what the server is sending. EAS included with 2007 has the ability to determine devices, so it could be that they have "unsupported" devices listed to receive plain text.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 07/22/2011 at 04:00 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Can't patch this, as I have to explain to people all the time at work. With exchange, this is happening "server" side, it is based on exchange settings.

    Now you *could* setup a gmail account and use push from gmail. Then have gmail pull your POP3 from hotmail. This was how both the wife and I have transitioned from hotmail to something with proper mobile support (we still keep our hotmail for the stuff we didn't want to have to update to gmail, and gmail pulls it all and syncs it nicely).
    That's what I said exactly. I said it's Microsoft's fault, so yes it's serverside. Doesn't mean we can't try so that webOS ignores the html part. I want to patch the email app so that it handles it as html instead of plain. Tried a couple of things, didn't work yet, but I know it can be done. As another poster said, iOS does it.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This is iOS with hotmail access setup as exchange? Shouldn't be a way to bypass the EAS setup on hotmail, since hotmail controls the EAS support version not the end user.

    Looks like it's iOS modifying the way it looks at EAS 2.5. Since EAS 2.5 by is not designed to handle HTML, iOS is not staying strick to the 2.5 standard. Wonder what the downside of this is.

    Just guessing here, but a device modifying the way it view EAS rules could give pause to some IT departments.

    So maybe this could be patched into the E-Mail client, this is where my input on this one ends unfortunately, not sure if you can just patch the EAS settings.
    Yep, my iTouch will display emails from Hotmail's Exchange server as well as my work's Exchange 2003 server as HTML formatted emails.
  17. #17  
    I get HTML emails from my Exchange server (2010) on my TouchPad. There is a setting in Exchange to "Allow HTML-formatted e-mail" and I believe this is turned on by default for the Exchange ActiveSync Mailbox Policies.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDizzAR View Post
    That's what I said exactly. I said it's Microsoft's fault, so yes it's serverside. Doesn't mean we can't try so that webOS ignores the html part. I want to patch the email app so that it handles it as html instead of plain. Tried a couple of things, didn't work yet, but I know it can be done. As another poster said, iOS does it.
    Yes! it would be amazing if you can do this.

    thanks
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by rstark View Post
    I get HTML emails from my Exchange server (2010) on my TouchPad. There is a setting in Exchange to "Allow HTML-formatted e-mail" and I believe this is turned on by default for the Exchange ActiveSync Mailbox Policies.
    that's the difference between 2007+ and 2003 and prior. Previous eas didn't support html.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    that's the difference between 2007+ and 2003 and prior. Previous eas didn't support html.
    Well I guess the 1-1/2 year migration it took me to go from 2003 to 2010 paid off! You would not believe how many hours and support cases with M$ I spent!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions