Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 24 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #21  
    LOL I don't doubt it, at work we are migrating from MS on site EAS server to MS "cloud" EAS server. I think it's gonna be a rough transition as we are losing some network resources in the process.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  2.    #22  
    The problematic of this thread is not if your internal MS Exchange is pushing HTML or not but rather how Hotmail, when configured as a Exchange account on the TP, comes out as TEXT rather than HTML which the iPad doesn't do ( I get full HTML )...

    I has been confirmed that this is due to how Microsoft implemented their EAS ... but my original question is why the iPad is able to view these emails as HTML.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  3. #23  
    Because the iPad is NOT conforming to the EAS standard. The EAS 2.5 standard is to not support HTML.

    I said this in another thread, that not conforming to MS standard may make some IT departments unhappy. Before anyone says it, yes I know lots of IT departments allow apple products, but I also know lots of departments may not like the device not conforming to the standards set by the manufacturer.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  4. #24  
    True, but I'm posting what worked for me since we discussed the Exchange issue was discussed here too.

    Anyways, after submitting a help desk ticket asking whether touchpad was on the "not supported" list and explaining that I was getting text emails, I got back a "resolved" ticket with the resolution field stating "migration completed successfully" After that I lost all email access...boy was I ****ed. So I did the simplest thing first and removed and then re-added the Exchange acct on my iPhone....turns out they migrated me from outlookmobile.company.com to outlook.company.com. Now all my emails come in as HTML on my Touchpad. Hope this helps someone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions