Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Weaser999
  • 1 Post By marclh1992
  1.    #1  
    Duh I just thought of this now. I was a bit irritated that when playing a movie, I would have to orient the screen to have the speakers facing down. Now I know why. They are stereo speakers. If you have a movie playing and have the screen facing with the speakers up, then the stereo sound would be in reverse! Now it makes sense!
    JayhawkOne, Rennat and k4ever like this.
    Herp derp

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Siah1214 likes this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    What? Why don't the speakers change left/right channel orientation when you flip the touchpad. I'm really disappointed that HP overlooked this detail...

J/K lol....
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    What? Why don't the speakers change left/right channel orientation when you flip the touchpad. I'm really disappointed that HP overlooked this detail...

J/K lol....
    I would actually really like this feature, to allow more flexible viewing... Suppose I'm using headphones (channels should stay the same, but video should flip) or want to bounce the sound off a wall behind the tp (i do this with my pixi and a cupped hand to redirect the sound)?

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Is this thread sarcasm? This is stereo, not surround sound we are talking here. It doesn't matter if the speakers are reversed or not. The reason the speakers probably need to be facing down is because it results in a higher volume for the user.

I don't have a Touchpad so take that last bit with a grain of salt, but it makes sense.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    Direction still matters with stereo. it would be weird to have action going across the screen from left to right and having the sound go right to left.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    or they could just flip the speakers accordingly. Shouldnt be too hard to write code for that.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I think we're all missing an opportunity to request quadraphonic sound.
    It's also because down-firing speakers have a bigger and richer sound. My hdtv also has down-firing speakers. Huge improvement.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    Yes or 3D sound!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    the sound server behind WebOS is PulseAudio, which is IMO the best sound server available for linux, it lets you "route" different audio sources and apply different effects to each source, mix and process them, and route to different outputs
    switching channels is somewhat easy, there is a module for that Modules
    but doing that dynamically is a bit complex mainly because the pulseaudio asynchronous API is not that friendly, still is something that can be done but dont think its high on the priorities.
    Last edited by moris; 07/18/2011 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    As long as we are making reasonable requests, I am personally holding out for googolphonic sound which is the highest number of speakers before infinity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    It's also because down-firing speakers have a bigger and richer sound. My hdtv also has down-firing speakers. Huge improvement.
    This right here, imo, is the reason. Without a solid surface for the sound to resonate against, there isn't as much oomph to the sound. Sure it sounds good with the speakers in the air, it sounds better with some reflection.

Not arguing the case on "it should be able to switch the speakers on a flip" because I totally agree with that as well, or as the other suggested with the headphones.

I think it just comes down to the Beats, they want you to hear it in the best quality possible and in order to do that, you need that oomph.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    sound above about 80hz (which is what the speakers in the touchpad will play) is directional.

Forcing it to lock the screen rotation with the speakers at you does 2 things

1) forces the sound at you (for best volume and clarity)
    2) keeps you from forcing sound at others and bothering the crap out of them.

Can you imagine say like on an airplane someone pointing the speakers away from them. would be so annoying.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)