Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Something I have noticed is that when I put the TP into sleep mode and then wake it up, the screen seems to be so very much brighter for a few moments. Like iPad2 Bright. After a minute however the brightness seems to then settle back to the old maximum for some reason.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Like the patch on the pre that allows you to lower the brightness value, is it possible to make a patch that can be made for the Touchpad to allow us to increase the max brightness value? I do find it a bit dark compared to the iPad2 I just sold so I could get the TP.

Cheers.
    I suspect it's your eyes adjusting. Like when you step outside from a dark room.
    Try turning off the auto-dimming in the screen & lock app. The ambient light sensor may be automatically lowering brightness because of that setting being turned on. When the device first turns on, the screen will be bright until that sensor adjusts it. By turning it off it will keep your screen brightness up all the time.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Try turning off the auto-dimming in the screen & lock app. The ambient light sensor may be automatically lowering brightness because of that setting being turned on. When the device first turns on, the screen will be bright until that sensor adjusts it. By turning it off it will keep your screen brightness up all the time.
    Ah ha. I didn't know about the auto bright level. I suspect that may be the culprit. I will try that tonight.

Still, it would be interesting to know if a patch could increase the maximum brightness. It was one of the sticking points in the reviews.
    In my experience, that is not the issue, I have turned it off (I am on my second TP) and have the same issue. And it isn't eyes adjusting, on my first one, nothing made it come back, EXCEPT shaking it a bit, touching the screen didn't, nothing did, unless you shook it, with my second one, that doesn't work, but it will sometimes just randomly get really bright again.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Turning off auto brightness did the trick... Thanks HelloNNNewman.
    I've seen a number of references to the auto dimming setting (there's no setting called "auto brightness") and the general comment is that this setting actually makes no difference to anything (even after rebooting after changing the setting).

The help text for "auto dimming" is as follows:-

"By default, your screen dims after a period of inactivity. You can turn this feature off".

However, with the setting in the off position, the screen still auto dims after a certain period whose length relates to the screen-off time setting.

As for the auto brightness function, that appears to be pretty buggy in terms of its response to brightness changes, and determining whether the auto-dim function makes any difference to auto-brightness requires quite some time to test, as the response to changes in local illumination seems much too slow and coarse grained at best.

Edit:- further experimentation here shows that the auto dim setting does affect auto brightness. So the bug is in the description of the control and in the help text.
    Last edited by Ozpeter; 10/04/2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    I turned off the Auto-Dimmer.

The difference between Night and Day!

Now, if you were untethered from your TouchStone for very long this might be an issue, but the TouchPad now shines with the ipad 2.

I believe they both have expensive LCD screen provided by LG.

Last edited by dna550; 10/04/2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: off-topic comparison stuff removed
    <thread cleansed>

Please stay on-topic.... this thread isn't a TP vs iPad comparison thread. Thanks