Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Have you all been watching the Twitter posts from webos-internals about Ubuntu running via X on the touchpad? I've scowered the internet looking for a comprehensive tutorial. I was able to follow webosi tutorial to upgrade my VZ Pre+ to 2.1.0 with flash and would really like to get Chromium (among other things) onto my touchpad. Anybody out there willing to create the tutorial? I think the community is sitting on the biggest thing since sliced bread and card stacks with this stuff. I've only had my Touchpad for a few days and I can't stop talking about it to everyone! Phew ok rant done. Tutorial- please help! Thanks.
  2. #2  
    can they make us a open office pdk app we can launch from webos? If so that would be cool....editing!
  3. #3  
    Chrome on a TouchPad is pure Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That to me is pretty Epic. I don't have a TouchPad yet, but when I get one, putting Chromium on it will be one of the first things I do.
  4. #4  
    I would like the ability to install and run Linux apps from the Debian repository but not Ubuntu itself.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Have you all been watching the Twitter posts from webos-internals about Ubuntu running via X on the touchpad? I've scowered the internet looking for a comprehensive tutorial. I was able to follow webosi tutorial to upgrade my VZ Pre+ to 2.1.0 with flash and would really like to get Chromium (among other things) onto my touchpad. Anybody out there willing to create the tutorial? I think the community is sitting on the biggest thing since sliced bread and card stacks with this stuff. I've only had my Touchpad for a few days and I can't stop talking about it to everyone! Phew ok rant done. Tutorial- please help! Thanks.
    You're getting a little too excited there. If this was the biggest thing since sliced bread, someone would be selling ubuntu tablets, but no one is.
    65fastback likes this.
  6. #6  
    I think instructions are already on the webos-internals wiki. Also, the guy that installed chromium installed it with just one command through Ubuntu, something similar to "apt-get install chromium" (this is not accurate. I'm just implying the simplicity). Also, Rod showed screenshots of OpenOffice running in Ubuntu on the Touchpad.
  7. #7  
    if you want Debian, just add Debian repos
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    if you want Debian, just add Debian repos
    How?
    Devices

    -WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
  9. #9  
    I wouldnt mind seeing libre office. Oo.o is more machine now. Twisted and evil.

    -- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
  10. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    #10  
    Just think if it works, then like windows forums, then every problem thread here will be full of

    "you shoud install Ubuntu instead" responses rather than helpful replies. :-)
  11. #11  
    What's much more interesting to me as someone who doesn't know anything about programming is this: webOS is a custom UI (Luna) running on top of a Linux kernel. Wouldn't it be possible to take LibreOffice, which is open source, and modify it so it uses the same processing backend with a different user interface coded in Enyo. Or write an Enyo interface that makes use of the LibreOffice backend, showing what a hybrid app can do.

    I don't know if this has never been done because it's not possible, because it's far more difficult than someone who doesn't have a clue (like me) would imagine, because it wouldn't be OK due to lawyerin' licensing legalities not obvious to the layman, or simply because nobody capable ever just sat down to do it, but QuickOffice editing update coming soon or not, it would be very nice to have an open alternative like LibreOffice around.

    In fact, if anyone from HP reads this - maybe assigning a few good webOS devs on HP's internal development team to a new project of porting LibreOffice to webOS could prove useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.libreoffice.org/download/license/
    LibreOffice is licensed under the terms of the LGPLv3 (or later). This means you're free to use it for personal and commercial use, you're free to copy it and give copies away, and you're free to modify and redesign the source code, and to create derivative works.
    (Then again, I wouldn't laugh if HP weren't even willing to do that because they don't want to have a reputation of competing with their own developers. Might not be such a bad thing, even.)
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 07/18/2011 at 05:51 AM.
    de_great and jahjahlove like this.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    can they make us a open office pdk app we can launch from webos? If so that would be cool....editing!
    Let's push for Home LibreOffice instead of open office.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    You're getting a little too excited there. If this was the biggest thing since sliced bread, someone would be selling ubuntu tablets, but no one is.
    I think he meant that it was the biggest thing since sliced bread FOR NERDS. If you really want a tablet running ubuntu, pick up an exoPC, and set it up to dual boot. I like mine a lot, but it will probably see VERY limited use now that I have the touchpad.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  14.    #14  
    Did anybody find a tutorial? Or did anyone figure out how to use meta-doctor to create a partition on the touchpad?
  15. #15  
    Open the Makefile for meta-doctor and uncomment the line having to do with making a 2gb ext3 partition. Once you take a peek inside it's pretty easy to see where you make the changes. Might as well take the opportunity to have it auto-enable dev mode, auto install preware, and auto install the preware testing feeds while you're at it.

    Then run the meta-doctor as directed and go nuts.
  16. #16  
    I'm assuming it takes away space from the USB drive? Could someone make a video of ubuntu is action? I want to know if it's worth doctoring and everything. Also what's the deal with the VR KB I heard it's borked. Can we use an ubuntu keyboard and that solve the issue?
  17. #17  
    I'm using the debsmall.img route because I didn't want to DR before the OTA comes out. It works great! Running LibreOffice, Vinagre & using Samba to connect to my LAN!
  18. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I'm using the debsmall.img route because I didn't want to DR before the OTA comes out. It works great! Running LibreOffice, Vinagre & using Samba to connect to my LAN!
    screenshots?
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    screenshots?
    Here's a couple: LibreOffice in a Card & the LXDE Window Manager.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  20. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #20  
    So the chrooted OS is essentially using a X11 display:0 into webOS's card WM? I'm so confused. It's really cool though. How snappy is debian/ubuntu on the TP?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions