Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    It feels pretty fast to me. Some limitations but very handy on occasion.

Chromium is very snappy, although the flash support is pretty sketchy (it works on simple *.swf, but not full video). LXDE has a problem with running a terminal window (but has a "run" line, like a Win machine). Mostly it's nice to have LibreOffice when I want it! I'm still using an debsmall.img file because I really don't want to Doctor until I see what happens w/the OTA.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Chrome on a TouchPad is pure Win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That to me is pretty Epic. I don't have a TouchPad yet, but when I get one, putting Chromium on it will be one of the first things I do.
    Have you actually used Chrome? Google sent me a CR-48 ChromeBook a couple months ago and the OS is awful. WebOS is much better and (dare I say it) has more useful apps.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    If this works as well as it sounds, it could solve my issue with the two missing apps I NEED: An ssh client and an RDP client. So if the Ubuntu apps run in a card, it's pretty neat, but does it take a while to boot the underlying Ubuntu VM? Sort of reminds me of the AndLinux project running in Windows (If I'm understanding it right).
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    If this works as well as it sounds, it could solve my issue with the two missing apps I NEED: An ssh client and an RDP client. So if the Ubuntu apps run in a card, it's pretty neat, but does it take a while to boot the underlying Ubuntu VM? Sort of reminds me of the AndLinux project running in Windows (If I'm understanding it right).
    no, it is instant
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Can somebody point me in the right direction on how to do this? I haven't used PreWare since my Palm Pre about 2 years ago, so I am severely out of the loop. I poked around the WebOS Internals site but I didn't see anything TouchPad specific. I also googled for Ubuntu and TouchPad but that was no help. I'd love to try this out.
    You don't see anything touchpad specific since it works the same on all webOS devices.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    It's not a VM is a chroot
    Quote Originally Posted by JerkyChew View Post
    Can somebody point me in the right direction on how to do this? I haven't used PreWare since my Palm Pre about 2 years ago, so I am severely out of the loop. I poked around the WebOS Internals site but I didn't see anything TouchPad specific. I also googled for Ubuntu and TouchPad but that was no help. I'd love to try this out.
    I'll try this again (I screwed it up last time.)

Start Here:
    Ubuntu Chroot
    @kayphoonstar
    How did you manage to hide the virtual keyboard? I see that its hidden in your screenshots.

Thanks,
    Sahil
    Quote Originally Posted by sahil0984 View Post
    @kayphoonstar
    How did you manage to hide the virtual keyboard? I see that its hidden in your screenshots.

Thanks,
    Sahil
    screenshots were pre-ota.
    can someone try Citrix under xecutah ubuntu
    I have citrix working on mine. Went to citrix website, dl'd the citrix client for linux arm tar.gz file, and installed using the standard paths.

My work used a web based way of accessing citrix, and the stupid touchpad browser tried to download a file instead of running the citrix receiver. I should probably ask citrix or hp about why it works as it should on ipad but not on touchpad.

after it was installed I used chromium to hit our webpage that lets me launch the citrix applications, but chromium, like the stock Touchpad browser tried to download a .ica file instead of launching the receiver. I then tried firefox, and it worked like a charm!!!
    @pezman726 wow awesome I'd like to follow whatyou did. So I get xecutah first? The install ubuntu? Can you write up a step by step how to citrix? I desperately need this for work and can ditch the laptop if it works
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 08/06/2011 at 03:42 PM.
    it'll have to be on Monday. My TP is at work, as it is technically work property because I got them to buy a few to test out.

first thing though is to metadoctor with the ext3fs, and get ubuntu chroot up and running. If you need help with that, I'll be more than happy to help out Monday!
    ok thanks I'm following this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ouchpad-3.html

looks like that will keep me busy for a while. This recipe here is a nice step by step: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...ml#post3053193

@pezman726 = how was the citrix performance? will the BT keyboard work or will there be a virtual keyboard. I am currently waiting for TP to charge and already got the metadoctor built!
    Last edited by cyberprashant; 08/06/2011 at 03:45 PM.
    performance is good, only used virtual, so I don't know. Be advised though, cap letters don't work with virtual keyboard!
    @pezman726 ok I've got it all installed. When I start ubuntu chroot I get a bunch of mount commands and then I am at a root@hptouchpad command prompt. DO I do a apt-get install for the citrix client?
    nope
    first do an apt-get install lxde and apt-get install firefox, to start lxde type 'startlxde' then download citrix from the chromium browser, or firefox..but chromium is faster. Get the arm tar.gz one, and follow the instructions from citrix to untar and install.

good luck!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    nope
    first do an apt-get install lxde and apt-get install firefox, to start lxde type 'startlxde' then download citrix from the chromium browser, or firefox..but chromium is faster. Get the arm tar.gz one, and follow the instructions from citrix to untar and install.

good luck!!
    ok thanks!

I did a

apt-get install firefox

first before the

apt-get install lxde

and did

firefox

to get firefox runnning. Frm there I found the citrix site and I am downloading the tar.gz now.
    you can do all the install commands from that chroot prompt too! Side note, if you need a terminal in lxde, use gnome terminal because the standard will cause lxde to crash.
    grantalope likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast