Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Its 7/17 and Amazon is offering discounts on the 32 and 16gig versions. What I find interesting is that the 32gig version is now priced at $559.99. Yep that is $40 dollars off the original price and just $10 more than the "make things right" price HP offered legacy users. I'm not saying I'm surprised but this might make a few of the legacy customers who took advantage of the offer feel they have once again been duped by HP/Palm even if this is really a move by Amazon. I understand people that buy products early on face the possibility that prices could drop soon after. I'm also not saying this will amount to anything but this sure makes the $50 rebate seem pretty irrelevant. Yeah I know a lot of people around here already felt that way when the rebate was announced.
    lol it actually made me want to get it more.

I already know about the buggy nature of the software but considering that the board here and the homebrew community already have a fix to it, i'm extremely excited.

yeah, 50 dollars at first did seem a bit sad, but considering that i'll be getting a total of 90 dollars off now definitely won me over
    threed61#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Its 7/17 and Amazon is offering discounts on the 32 and 16gig versions. What I find interesting is that the 32gig version is now priced at $559.99. Yep that is $40 dollars off the original price and just $10 more than the "make things right" price HP offered legacy users. I'm not saying I'm surprised but this might make a few of the legacy customers who took advantage of the offer feel they have once again been duped by HP/Palm even if this is really a move by Amazon. I understand people that buy products early on face the possibility that prices could drop soon after. I'm also not saying this will amount to anything but this sure makes the $50 rebate seem pretty irrelevant. Yeah I know a lot of people around here already felt that way when the rebate was announced.
    Try $70 off from HP themselves.

http://www.hp.com/canada/products/st...ouchPad-IR.pdf
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I thought you could stack the $50 make it right on top of the purchase price, even if you purchase is for as low as $70 off.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    i was under that impression as well. aw man, now i'm nervous -_-
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I thought you could stack the $50 make it right on top of the purchase price, even if you purchase is for as low as $70 off.
    Yes you can do that which makes it seem like a great deal. I'm really talking about those that already took advantage of the offer.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    YEs. You just have to purchase it. If you got $20 from Best Buy off and $50 back from HP that's a total of $70.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Can you grow up and stop acting like a petulant child? If you purchased your TouchPad from Amazon they'll give you a credit back for the price difference and HP doesn't owe you anything when a discount retailer discounts their products.

You obviously didn't read my post before making a personal attack.
    They expanded the program to Canada? I thought the form said US only.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    You obviously didn't read my post before making a personal attack.
    I read your post. What was the point of this topic? It's whining and not constructive at all. HP doesn't need a press release because Amazon discounted the TouchPad. That's just stupid to expect one. Are you really that daft?
  11.    #11  
    I read your post. What was the point of this topic? It's whining and not constructive at all. HP doesn't need a press release because Amazon discounted the TouchPad. That's just stupid to expect one. Are you really that daft?
    Again if you read my post, you'd see I said nothing about HP owing anybody anything. My thread title and purpose was a question, not a statement. Come on lets not let this get into a stupid net battle please.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    No, it isn't a PRPRPR $disaster$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $great$ $example$ $of$ $why$ $Apple$-$esque$ $price$ $control$ $is$ $something$ $HP$ $needs$ $to$ $learn$.

It hurts people who're on the fence, when they see prices fall or fluctuate at a rapid rate they go into a "wait and see" mode. Which means now you've got potential customers unsure if they should buy, which hurts sales, which then pushes prices around -- rinse & repeat.

The other issue here is it reduces "perceived" value. The lower the price, the less premium a product becomes. In our case, pricing on par with the pAd says to an uneducated consumer, "I'm just as good as him." That goes away if prices increase or decrease because the iPad is the defacto #1.

When you remove price stability it also decreases the chance of someone making an impulse buy. When you know an Apple product is the same price everywhere, you just buy it the first chance you get. There isn't any, "well.. X has it for $5 less, I should wait..."

Whether you like it or not, it's in the interest of webOS that HP get a grip on price control.
    So, an HP product costs one thing at one location but costs something else at another location.

Where's the news?

HP is not Apple. The MSRP is $499. That's the suggested price; Retailers may chose whatever price they want. Apple sells things directly to the consumer and doesn't see a profit until the device sells. HP sells their product to retailers who then sell it for a profit.

Of the two, HP is the one following traditional market setup.
    hparsons likes this.
    Its 7/17 and Amazon is offering discounts on the 32 and 16gig versions. What I find interesting is that the 32gig version is now priced at $559.99. Yep that is $40 dollars off the original price and just $10 more than the "make things right" price HP offered legacy users...
    There was never a "make things right" price offered by HP. They did offer legacy users $50, but that wasn't a "make things right" offer (they stated so), and more importantly, those that take advantage of the Amazon deal are elgible for the $50 off as well.
    No reason to think that you cannot.
    YEs. You just have to purchase it. If you got $20 from Best Buy off and $50 back from HP that's a total of $70.
    I bought the day it came out. Got $60 off from BestBuy (via a 10% off coupon) plus the $50 from HP (that I will turn in later this month).

Basically, I'm kind of at a loss as to exactly who it is the OP thinks is disgruntled...
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    No, it isn't a PRPRPR $disaster$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $great$ $example$ $of$ $why$ $Apple$-$esque$ $price$ $control$ $is$ $something$ $HP$ $needs$ $to$ $learn$.

It hurts people who're on the fence, when they see prices fall or fluctuate at a rapid rate they go into a "wait and see" mode. Which means now you've got potential customers unsure if they should buy, which hurts sales, which then pushes prices around -- rinse & repeat.

The other issue here is it reduces "perceived" value. The lower the price, the less premium a product becomes. In our case, pricing on par with the pAd says to an uneducated consumer, "I'm just as good as him." That goes away if prices increase or decrease because the iPad is the defacto #1.

When you remove price stability it also decreases the chance of someone making an impulse buy. When you know an Apple product is the same price everywhere, you just buy it the first chance you get. There isn't any, "well.. X has it for $5 less, I should wait..."

Whether you like it or not, it's in the interest of webOS that HP get a grip on price control.
    Actually, I take the opposite view. I'm GLAD HP isn't trying to control price. And yes, I'm an early purchaser, was at the BestBuy store as soon as they opened, to buy my pre-ordered TouchPad. They honored the 10% off coupon (after a little pressure), and are guaranteeing the original price as well. That, plus the $50 back from HP means I got $110 off the original price, plus still have a price guarantee.

I really don't see the PRPRPR $issue$ $here$.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I bought the day it came out. Got $60 off from BestBuy (via a 10% off coupon) plus the $50 from HP (that I will turn in later this month).

Basically, I'm kind of at a loss as to exactly who it is the OP thinks is disgruntled...
    I'm not sure who would be disgruntled. Obviously the people in this forum are quite happy to have some double discounts and I think that's great. With the way some people around here attack HP for every move they make or don't make, I was just posing a question. That's all.
    I'm not sure who would be disgruntled. Obviously the people in this forum are quite happy to have some double discounts and I think that's great. With the way some people around here attack HP for every move they make or don't make, I was just posing a question. That's all.
    Fair enough. I went back and reread what you wrote, and you even said that it would Amazon doing this, not HP.
    I think the only folks that would really be upset are those that bought directly from HP. Most other seller offer price guarantees, and a lot of the buyers would still be in the "return period" if they didn't.

I don't see this as a PRPRPR $issue$ $for$ $HP$, $at$ $least$ $once$ $folks$ $get$ $past$ $the$ $constant$ $comparison$ $to$ $Apple$, $which$ $heavily$ $controls$ $price$.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    I believe the OP is referring to some of us that bought it at full price at Amazon during the first week. a few days later it dropped and they reluctantly credited me 23 bucks - I saw reluctantly because the online Chat person said no but a few hours later sent me an email that he was making a 1-time adjustment. so then yesterday I get home from a weekend offline and find that it's dropped another 20 bucks. I don't regret buying it and will have my $50 make it right mailed in today but I am a little sad the price didn't even hold firm between the soft launch and "real" launch. It definitely does not pay to be eager about a product and buy soon after launch (think of all the beta-testers HP will miss out on when the TP2 comes out and we all wait a month!!)

I believe HP would be a little sad too because looking around at all the retailers discounting it during the first two weeks devalues their offering. Everyone called the Xoom a failure and it took 4 months for the WiFi model to drop significantly. That is a price drop I am not sad about - I've had 4 months of good usage and due to a few things missing from my TouchPad I will have to keep using my Xoom for certain things (Kindle, having an IP Cam Viewer, GPS with offline maps, HDMI out, SD Card storage that finally works).

Regardless, I plan to have a great week and enjoy my TouchPad - I hope you all do the same! Clarice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast