Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Clearly there are more Pre something users on here with Touchpads than there are Android users, but for those that might be like me, and want to tether with a rooted Android device, but you are stumped by the ad-hoc limitation,* you might try a switch to a beta version of Wifi tether (you can find them here: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Once installed, go in to the settings, and you will have to play with them a bit, I am running a Droid Charge, and have to tell it that it's a different phone, a Samsung Fascinate), then change the setup method to softap for Samsung (master).

You might have to play with the settings a bit, you might try google for some help, most of this stuff, by the time you are trying to do it, someone at XDA has already typed out a guide on how to do it for you specific phone. But this will allow you to tether your Android device (note: not all Android devices are capable of doing it) using infrastructure mode, so that other phones and tablets (including the touchpad) can connect.

*If you don't know what the ad-hoc limitation is, most tethering apps broadcast an ad-hoc (peer to peer) wifi network, but tablets and phones can only connect to infrastructure networks.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for the post/encouragement. I'm going to attempt a "one-click" root on my Thunderbolt tonight assuming I get the time. If I'm successful and get the tethering working I'll report back with any issues encountered and (hopefully) workarounds.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Woot! Thunderbolt is rooted and I'm posting this from my wifi tether. Open Garden worked for me...not barnacle or android wifi tether...though looks very similar to android wifi tether.
  4.    #4  
    Good to hear. I am also posting from my touchpad, with my wifi tether (on LTE - I am pretty sure it just got switched on in Charleston last night. I came in from Columbia, which has it, last night on 3G. And woke up to find it on 4G, and haven't looked back)
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    posting on my touchpad also tethered to my thunderbolt with wifi tether version 2.0.7. Comes preinstalled with droidth3ory v6.01 gingerbread rom. No tweaks needed.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by je2345 View Post
    posting on my touchpad also tethered to my thunderbolt with wifi tether version 2.0.7. Comes preinstalled with droidth3ory v6.01 gingerbread rom. No tweaks needed.
    i've been wondering what Rom to get. How stable us that one? I'm hoping to pick one that I can keep without tweaking for a reasonably long time.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StompAWOT View Post
    i've been wondering what Rom to get. How stable us that one? I'm hoping to pick one that I can keep without tweaking for a reasonably long time.
    Never mind - I popped over to xda and it turns out droidth3ory v6.02 was released today. I was a bit nervous but found a good tutorial on AndroidCentral (sister site to precentral!) and was able to flash the new radio and the Rom. So far I'm digging it!
    how about posting your wifi tether settings? I cant get my Touchpad to see my Samsung Epic...
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Afraid I'm using stock settings that came with the Rom I used. I can't use encryption - won't connect if it's on. The tether app doesnt have much in the way of settings that I can find, but fire away with any questions you have and i'll try to help.
    Is there any way to tether my HTC EVO (android) phone to my touchpad?
    You have to root it but there are a bunch of wifi hotspot apps
    My version is too new. Is there anything else I can try without having a rooted phone?
    Pay Sprint $30 a month
    <<threads merged>>

Grandpuba... take a look at the beginning of this thread to see how to do it.

Edit: Or this one: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...oid-phone.html
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    so noob 2 all of this n got my POS samsung intercept sucessfully rooted using intercept root Installed super user, titanium backup and quickboot. Installed barnacle..no luck... Open garden.. No luck and tried Bluetooth as well... Installed the latest WiFi tether beta and wuld not work n auto or ad-hoc....

bc I am new to all of this I tested each network with old inactive iphone and it detected all of them...sigh

any help?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Weird. My HTC Desire comes with "Wifi Hotspot" as standard and it works great.

So, if the phone won't do it, change the phone

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by Erykah View Post
    so noob 2 all of this n got my POS samsung intercept sucessfully rooted using intercept root Installed super user, titanium backup and quickboot. Installed barnacle..no luck... Open garden.. No luck and tried Bluetooth as well... Installed the latest WiFi tether beta and wuld not work n auto or ad-hoc....

bc I am new to all of this I tested each network with old inactive iphone and it detected all of them...sigh

any help?
    The problem is that the touchpad does not support Ad-hoc wifi.... I did the same to my wifes phone, rooted it added almost all the wifi apps, none worked... However if you turn on the built in wifi that is in your settings it will work...but of course its a fee..... I have a hd7 windows mobile phone... I am thinking about buying an old palm pre or pre 2 unlock just because it has freetether app and it uses my exsisting data plan...also the benifits of this is that it can bluetooth with my touchpad....I used my daughters pixi and it worked....
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    shortly after this post I are we the thread again played with the profiles n it worked... Which for my droid pos was a plus.... Got a pre 2 now but pos mobile throttles the speed to edge n you may as well have a friggn dial up! Ergo!

good luck on ur phone!
    cm7 built in hotspot works flawlessly on my evo shift
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpuba View Post
    Is there any way to tether my HTC EVO (android) phone to my touchpad?
    Been doing this since I got my TP from the firesale. I have a rooted Evo 4g using WiFi tether. I'm also using an app called deskSms to forward all my text messages to my gtalk account .. Of which I log into using my TP...the result is being able to send receive text on my TP.....loving it all!
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast