Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greg Mair
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Yes!! I'm just installing this on my iPad, such an awesome feature! webOS tablets should have this too!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I think there's some significant differences between this sort of multi-profile set up and what it would take to create a mult-profile setup for webOS. Apple has a very loose online profile integration. It sort of connects to the online profile when you ask it to or via specific application. In this application of "profiles" they're really just local profiles. webOS on the other hand is meant to take direct advantage of the online profile as a means of backup and restoration. The mechanism it uses would mean that every time you logged in under another profile it would re-authenticate your app purchases and restore them. Switching to another profile would delete unauthenticated apps and re-install the ones specific to that profile. I'm sure it would be really messy in the database and cause all kinds of lost data. Not saying it can't be done but wow that would be an undertaking.
    I just went and looked at the touchpad, then looked at laptops. Thought to myself. Why would I spend almost $600 for the touchpad and only I can use it, were as then super nice HP laptop has everything the touchpad has and more plus everyone in my family can use it.

This is a must for me to buy a TP.

In 1 or 2 years when we have webos on computers, in Cars, printers, pads, phones. Am I going to have to buy 5 of each thing for my family. Lol.
    GuyFromNam likes this.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    By the way this particular install screwed up my iPad, uninstalled and waiting for fixed update!
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    I think there's some significant differences between this sort of multi-profile set up and what it would take to create a mult-profile setup for webOS. Apple has a very loose online profile integration. It sort of connects to the online profile when you ask it to or via specific application. In this application of "profiles" they're really just local profiles. webOS on the other hand is meant to take direct advantage of the online profile as a means of backup and restoration. The mechanism it uses would mean that every time you logged in under another profile it would re-authenticate your app purchases and restore them. Switching to another profile would delete unauthenticated apps and re-install the ones specific to that profile. I'm sure it would be really messy in the database and cause all kinds of lost data. Not saying it can't be done but wow that would be an undertaking.
    I think as long as each account is a different palm profile and it doesnt delete and reinstall the apps every time you switch accounts I fail to see the difference and why its harder on WebOS.

But yeah, definitely a feature HP should include, not one that I would use personally but then again I never really learned how to share.
  6.    #7  
    At the very least, the browser (and key apps like Facebook or messaging) should allow for different user profiles...make it easy to login to Facebook without having to re-type in credentials each time you switch users...