Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I've had my TouchPad for about 2 weeks, and so far I love it. I only have 1 major complaint.

As a general rule, my TouchPad has no internet access when I leave my house. I am very surprised that I haven't seen more complaints about this. How is everyone else connecting to the internet when you leave home? Do most people with a TouchPad have a Pre?

I currently have a Windows Mobile phone. I've tried several different apps to turn my phone into a hotspot, but they all use ad-hoc wifi which is currently not supported by TouchPad. Does anyone know if there is a way to share the internet connection from my WM phone with my Touchpad?

I do plan to get a Pre3 as soon as they are released, but that could be months away. I've seen posts about using the TouchPad to send texts and make calls when connected to a Pre, but I haven't seen anything about sharing the internet connections. I assume it will share, but can someone with a Pre + TouchPad confirm that?

Unfortunately, I can't really use my TouchPad outside my house, and since I don't really need it inside my house, it's essentially useless right now. I was able to connect to free wifi at a restaurant this week, but otherwise I've had no internet access anywhere but home. I could have connected at Starbucks, but you have to pay for their T-Mobile hotspot. Since I'm already paying for 3 mobile internet connections (2 phones and a USB broadband modem), I see no reason to pay for additional internet service.

I am VERY sad to say that if the TouchPad can't use something I already own to access the internet, I will have to send it back. I don't want to send it back. I really, really love it, but I don't need it at home, and it doesn't work when I leave.
    Last edited by ag95keri; 07/17/2011 at 12:01 PM. Reason: change that sad face to a big smile
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
    wifi is free at starbucks, mcdonalds, panera bread...
    also, have you tried sharing the usb wifi connection to the TP? I used to do that when I had one, but I no longer have one to test with my TP.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    also, have you tried sharing the usb wifi connection to the TP? I used to do that when I had one, but I no longer have one to test with my TP.
    I don't know what you mean. Do you mean using my Sprint USB broadband key? How would I attach it to the TouchPad?

At least for now, you cannot plug USB devices into the TP. It lacks the USB host capabilities to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag95keri View Post
    I don't know what you mean. Do you mean using my Sprint USB broadband key? How would I attach it to the TouchPad?
    windows has the ability to share the internet connection from a PC. It's not as fast as connecting directly to a hotspot, but it works pretty well.

it's something you set up in windows.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Maybe you can buy a used Pre to use until the Pre3 comes out? The freetether app on the Pre will do exactly what you want to do.You should be able to pick one up cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    Maybe you can buy a used Pre to use until the Pre3 comes out? The freetether app on the Pre will do exactly what you want to do.You should be able to pick one up cheap.
    That's the ticket. I use my Sprint Pre and Freetether it to the TouchPad. Works perfectly.
    rawdeadfish likes this.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Yup I'm doing the same right now! I would imagine the TS could pick one up pretty cheap...
    Yup I'm doing the same right now! I would imagine the TS could pick one up pretty cheap...
    TS?
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    oh ts = thread starter, forgot most people say OP on here haha. I'm jumping between here and the sherdog forum...
    oh ts = thread starter, forgot most people say OP on here haha. I'm jumping between here and the sherdog forum...
    Heh! Thanks.
    I'd like to suggest you get one the hotspot devices from Cradlepoint. You plug your laptop USB modem into it and it becomes a hotspot for up to 16 devices.

I don't own one of these personally but I've worked with many people who use them.
    I use either freetether on my pre 2 or my sprint 4g hotspot. Thats your best bet
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    windows has the ability to share the internet connection from a PC. It's not as fast as connecting directly to a hotspot, but it works pretty well.

it's something you set up in windows.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I'm looking for a solution that will let me leave the laptop at home. If I have to drag my laptop with me and power it on to provide a hotspot, then why do I need the TouchPad?

Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    I'd like to suggest you get one the hotspot devices from Cradlepoint. You plug your laptop USB modem into it and it becomes a hotspot for up to 16 devices.

I don't own one of these personally but I've worked with many people who use them.
    Now this might be an option! It says it supports connection from both my HP phone and my Sprint broadband card. I just ordered it and will report back.

I also just got off the phone with HP Palm Butler support, and there are 3 known/supported ways to connect when mobile.

1. Purchase the AT&T 4G TouchPad.

2. Use a supported phone. Supported phones are: Pre, Pre2, Pre Plus and Pixi. The Veer is not supported.

3. Use a "real" mobile hotspot like mifi. (I'm guessing the Cradlepoint fits this category.)

And of course, he reminded me there is always the option to connect to whatever free wifi is available. Of course we all know that, but that just doesn't provide reliable coverage.

I do want to take a quick moment to compliment the Butler service. I've called twice and had great experiences both times. They didn't always give me the answer I wanted to hear, like no support for ad-hoc wifi, but were very knowledgeable and helpful. When we originally spoke this morning, the rep only told me about 2 of the above options. About 10 minutes after we got off the phone, he called back and told me about the mifi. That means he continued to research my question even after we hung up on a support call that was closed. I've never had support like that before. Big kudos to the Butler service!

speedtouch and specialshi like this.
    I'm still curious about the peer2peer thing. I am surprised that something would require peer2peer, when that is generally something to avoid as a security issue.

all of the tethering prior to webOS was using a DUN connection. Never heard of a peer2peer only hotspot.

hopefully the OP will grab a cheap Pre on ebay... Or even a frankenPre2.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I got mine to connect to my Epic hotspot. I don't pay for the hotspot line, so it didn't actually pull anything from on line. It did behave pretty much exactly like when I pull the plug between the router and modem, though (which is to say, it registers a good solid connection, but says "no internet").
    As soon as you pick up your Pre3, you'll be fine. Install Preware via WebOSQI and welcome to the world of Homebrew. Then you can install freeTether and you'll be golden. It's been working great on my Pre (minus) and my wife's pre+ since install.
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
    A lot of Android phones can set up infrastructure hotspots with the right root app (I am currently getting 20Mbps down on my TP with my Droid Charge). What is the equivalent (or is there) to rooting for WP7? There might be those types of apps that will allow for it.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    I think the Gentleman doesn't have WP7 but is an old Windows Mobile 6 holdout.

In either case, I think if you go to Windows Phone Central and post the same thread there noting make and model of your phone and the OS version, the locals may be able to point out an app able to establish regular a regular old wifi hotspot... IF your phone is capable of doing it.

Otherwise, you can get brand new Pres and Pluses (depending on your carrier) for dirt cheap these days and just use one of them to hold you over.

On the other hand, HP has been fairly punctual since 'Think Beyond', some people are just really impatient and others are easily influenced by the constant nagging.
    The only information they ever let out about a roadmap was: one device every other month. They said that in February. The Veer was released in April/May (on time), the TouchPad is being released in July (on time), so that would peg the Pre3 for September. If you could hold out for two months starting now, you could just get a Pre3 and be happy.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    obiwon likes this.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast