Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 90
Like Tree6Likes
  1. ag95keri's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #61  
    Unfortunately the TouchPad only supports tethering to WiFi using a WebOS phone. I tried pretty much everything with my Win Mob 6.5 phone, and the only thing that worked was the CradlePoint.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

    Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
  2. #62  
    I pay the 4GB tethering option on my AT&T iphone 3, so it makes sense to me that i would be okay to connect my Touchpad through it to gain access to the internet when I'm on the go.. I can get the TP to recognize the phone with bluetooth, but i think only as a phone.

    I apologize if this has been covered, but i only see questions relating to the windows phone.. I've checked for apps on the TP hoping something existed that would help me recognize the "AT&T mobile hotspot" on the iphone3?

    I had this all figured out when i bought the TP.. that i would be able to tether it to the phone..any assistance grately appreciated.
  3. #63  
    I think this is one of the areas where the touchpad is seriously lacking. It seems to be one of the few if not the only device that doesn't support bluetooth tethering with a phone or similar device ie no dun/pan client support. Now its possible to use wifi with a phone or anouther device that acts as as a hotspot and that seems to even be hit or miss with the TP. Also its not a good solution since it results in crummy battery life for phones compared to bluetooth tethering options. I'm actualy surprized so many people seem to be using wifi for tethering devices these days.
  4. #64  
    I'd guess because it's rather difficult to locate devices that support PAN fully
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by rtapping View Post
    I pay the 4GB tethering option on my AT&T iphone 3, so it makes sense to me that i would be okay to connect my Touchpad through it to gain access to the internet when I'm on the go.. I can get the TP to recognize the phone with bluetooth, but i think only as a phone.

    I apologize if this has been covered, but i only see questions relating to the windows phone.. I've checked for apps on the TP hoping something existed that would help me recognize the "AT&T mobile hotspot" on the iphone3?

    I had this all figured out when i bought the TP.. that i would be able to tether it to the phone..any assistance grately appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    I think this is one of the areas where the touchpad is seriously lacking. It seems to be one of the few if not the only device that doesn't support bluetooth tethering with a phone or similar device ie no dun/pan client support. Now its possible to use wifi with a phone or anouther device that acts as as a hotspot and that seems to even be hit or miss with the TP. Also its not a good solution since it results in crummy battery life for phones compared to bluetooth tethering options. I'm actualy surprized so many people seem to be using wifi for tethering devices these days.
    Most all smart phones have 'paid' hotspots through the provided but they all also have 'FREE' tethering apps (even pre2) that can be installed to allow access using your normal data plan. If you only tether mobil type devices there will be no throttle or slow down, but if you use the free versions and you tether a laptop you may get throttle for speed depending on the provider. But phones, ipods, tablets all should go totally unnoticed by the software throttles.

    That said the TP will connect on any wifi hotspot from any driod or iphone or pre.. never tried a crackberry so none of this applies or at least I don't know if it applies. I use freeTether on my pre2 and it works great off my unlimited data plan ;P
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    That said the TP will connect on any wifi hotspot from any driod or iphone or pre.. never tried a crackberry so none of this applies or at least I don't know if it applies. I use freeTether on my pre2 and it works great off my unlimited data plan ;P
    How exactly did you set up the tethering using the iphone? I've searched for free tethering apps on my phone and TP, with little success. I sure would appreciate some specific instructions to get this set up...
  7. #67  
    I have a HTC phone which lets me create a wifi hotspot. I then just scan for a wifi signal with the Touchpad, I can then see my own wifi hotspot signal through the phone, I connect and away I go. Works really well. I use this with Splashtop and can wonder off and 'pretend' to be working. Brilliant.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by chesl73 View Post
    I have a HTC phone which lets me create a wifi hotspot. I then just scan for a wifi signal with the Touchpad, I can then see my own wifi hotspot signal through the phone, I connect and away I go. Works really well. I use this with Splashtop and can wonder off and 'pretend' to be working. Brilliant.
    Same here, using my rooted Sprint EVO and wireless tether to great success with my TP.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
    Same here, using my rooted Sprint EVO and wireless tether to great success with my TP.
    Some HTC phones like the Droid incredible 2 still do not have the capability as you all have mentioned.My situation is similar to the OP's dilema where I have multiple data services where my best option is my mobile phone but in reading many forums there is no rootable option for gingerbread 2.3.4 . Using my mobile phone is my best option but I'm hindered by this problem. Has anyone had success on this and what's been the OP's update with there device??
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by rtapping View Post
    How exactly did you set up the tethering using the iphone? I've searched for free tethering apps on my phone and TP, with little success. I sure would appreciate some specific instructions to get this set up...
    I should probably add; i do pay for the mobile hotspot service with AT&T and i activate the personal hotspot on the iphone..when i search for it on the TP it doesn't find it?

    from what i'm getting in this forum, I'm thinking i dont need the mobile hotspot service and probably shouldn't bother with it anyway, and go with a third party service.. I think I may have to unlock my phone for this to work? .. then there is a good chance the TP will recognize and be compatible with one of these third party app wifi services?
    am i on the right track here anybody?
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by rtapping View Post
    I should probably add; i do pay for the mobile hotspot service with AT&T and i activate the personal hotspot on the iphone..when i search for it on the TP it doesn't find it?

    from what i'm getting in this forum, I'm thinking i dont need the mobile hotspot service and probably shouldn't bother with it anyway, and go with a third party service.. I think I may have to unlock my phone for this to work? .. then there is a good chance the TP will recognize and be compatible with one of these third party app wifi services?
    am i on the right track here anybody?
    I'm not sure if you can check this, but is your hotspot running in infrastructure or ad-hoc mode? I don't think that the TP can use ad-hoc wireless networks... which is unfortunately all my phone can do right now :-(. I miss freetether on my pre.
  12. joos519's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #72  
    I just rooted my HTC Thunderbolt using revolutions method, it gave me access to the hotspot enabler and I use the wireless tether app (free in the android market). My TP has both Webos and Android and I can connect to the wifi hotspot on my TBolt. I didn't have to do anything to the settings on the TP, it found the hotspot easily. I believe this is the only way to connect wirelessly, your phone has to be rooted to gain access and bypass the wifi hotspot on your phone. Check out this forum for links and instructions [Guide] to Installing S-off, ClockWork, Root, SuperCID & S-on [03/AUG/11](noobproof) - xda-developers

    These are the HTC phones supported, via their webpage

    Revolutionary currently supports the following Android phones and HBOOT versions:

    HTC Desire (bravo) 0.93.0001, 1.02.0001
    HTC Desire CDMA (bravoc) 1.06.0000
    HTC Wildfire (buzz) 1.01.0001
    HTC Aria (liberty) 1.02.0000
    HTC Incredible S (vivo) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000
    HTC Droid Incredible 2 (vivow) 0.97.0000 (Gingerbread only!)
    HTC Desire S (saga) 0.98.0000 and 0.98.0002
    HTC View (express) 1.09.0000 and 1.13.0000
    HTC Flyer (flyer) 1.10.0000, 1.11.0003
    HTC Sensation (pyramid) 1.17.0006, .0008, .0011 and .0012, 1.18.0000
    HTC Evo 3D (shooter) 1.30.0000 and 1.40.0000
    HTC EVO 3D GSM (shooteru) 1.49.0007, 1.49.0008
    HTC Thunderbolt (mecha) 1.04.0000, 1.05.0000
    HTC EVO 4G (supersonic) 2.15.0001, 2.16.0001
    HTC myTouch Slide 4G (doubleshot) 1.44.0007
  13. joos519's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by T4H_KiserSose View Post
    Some HTC phones like the Droid incredible 2 still do not have the capability as you all have mentioned.My situation is similar to the OP's dilema where I have multiple data services where my best option is my mobile phone but in reading many forums there is no rootable option for gingerbread 2.3.4 . Using my mobile phone is my best option but I'm hindered by this problem. Has anyone had success on this and what's been the OP's update with there device??
    Check out my post above, the Incredible 2 with Gingerbread is root-able.
  14. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #74  
    You don't have to root your phone in order to do WIFI tethering. All you have to do is download a tethering app if your phone doesn't have one. You can get them from the Amazon market, since the carriers have blocked the tethering apps on the Android market.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by joos519 View Post
    Check out my post above, the Incredible 2 with Gingerbread is root-able.
    The Droid Incredible 2 is version 2.3.4 . It is not rootable unless "revolutionary" has been updated to allow this version of gingerbread to be rootable. When the phone was 2.3.3 it was possible to root the phone but since the version change it cannot happen as of yet.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    You don't have to root your phone in order to do WIFI tethering. All you have to do is download a tethering app if your phone doesn't have one. You can get them from the Amazon market, since the carriers have blocked the tethering apps on the Android market.
    Every Wifi tether app i seen on the android market requires root in order to do a mobile hotspot to make the HP Touchpad use the "droid incredible 2"'s data service. Unless im mistaken on how android market applications install ?? I use "Mytether" on my Palm Pre and i had to use Dev mode to allow the mytether app to install originally.
  17. #77  
    All,

    Here is a website that has the latest information on tetering a tablet using a smartphone:

    Wi-Fi Tethering 101: Use a Smartphone as a Mobile Hotspot | PCWorld Business Center

    Warning, the article is long, but worth the read. In summary, many of the latest smartphones have the capability to enable tethering via WiFi with tablet PCs or laptops with WiFi built-in.

    Fritzi
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fritzi View Post
    All,

    Here is a website that has the latest information on tetering a tablet using a smartphone:

    Wi-Fi Tethering 101: Use a Smartphone as a Mobile Hotspot | PCWorld Business Center

    Warning, the article is long, but worth the read. In summary, many of the latest smartphones have the capability to enable tethering via WiFi with tablet PCs or laptops with WiFi built-in.

    Fritzi
    I read it and where it describes third party applications it mentions a application called "Android WiFi tether for Android"... this application or one similar requires "ROOT" access in order for the application to function. Thanks for all your posts and heres hoping the OP's answers have worked..as for my dilema ..I still see this device requiring root access in order for me to wifi tether my wonderful touchpad to this droid phone :/
  19. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by T4H_KiserSose View Post
    Every Wifi tether app i seen on the android market requires root in order to do a mobile hotspot to make the HP Touchpad use the "droid incredible 2"'s data service. Unless im mistaken on how android market applications install ?? I use "Mytether" on my Palm Pre and i had to use Dev mode to allow the mytether app to install originally.
    Easy Tether does not require root.

    Amazon.com: EasyTether: Appstore for Android
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Easy Tether does not require root.

    Amazon.com: EasyTether: Appstore for Android
    Ahhh yes the "easytether" application ... I researched this a month or so back. Problem here was the HP Touchpad does not function the USB as a workable host and this Tether program does not have Wifi capabilities ?? Am I wrong on this for the touchpad?? Anyways thanks once again for the input kalel33
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions