Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90
Like Tree6Likes
  1. cawhalen's Avatar
    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #41  
    I apologize for misinterpreting the post.

    As a general rule, my TouchPad has no internet access when I leave my house. I am very surprised that I haven't seen more complaints about this.
    You were clearly complaining about a lack of internet access when leaving the house. Who would people complain about this to? What is expected of HP? This is a user issue. Connectivity to wifi and/or wifi options are at your discretion. Again, if you bought a wifi only product, what is there to complain about?

    Unfortunately, I can't really use my TouchPad outside my house, and since I don't really need it inside my house, it's essentially useless right now.
    User issue.

    I see no reason to pay for additional internet service.
    User issue.

    Complaining about a bad wifi radio or a lack of support for other phones to tether wifi is legitimate. If I jumped the gun in assessing your issue, I apologize.

    My overall point is that I did not see your initial post bringing to light any new issue with tethering that has not been addressed in many other posts in this forum. By immediately questioning a lack of complaining about something that is in your control provoked me to be short in response. I apologize
  2. jazzdoc's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #42  
    Well, the WMrouter also creates an ad-hoc network. Laptop works, touchpad doesn't see it. I guess you need a pre or a dedicated wifi hotspot device that creates a regular wifi network to get on the cell based internet.
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
  3. ag95keri's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by cawhalen View Post
    I apologize for misinterpreting the post.
    You know, your post contained the phrase "I apologize" 3 times, but the context of your post isn't really very apologetic.

    Quote Originally Posted by cawhalen View Post
    You were clearly complaining about a lack of internet access when leaving the house. Who would people complain about this to? What is expected of HP? This is a user issue. Connectivity to wifi and/or wifi options are at your discretion. Again, if you bought a wifi only product, what is there to complain about?
    Once again, I was fully aware that I bought a wifi product, and I never complained that it only had wifi. However, I bought it with the intention of using my cell phone as a hotspot ... like I did with my laptop for years before I got the broadband card. I was asking for suggestions on how to do that with the TouchPad.

    I suppose you could say that I was complaining because the device doesn't support ad-hoc wifi, and that would certainly be an accurate statement. Since you asked who people would complain to, I'll tell you that I complained to HP. Well, I didn't really complain so much as submit an enhancement request, and when I spoke to their Butler service, he told me that many users have submitted that same request.

    Quote Originally Posted by cawhalen View Post
    User issue.
    ...
    User issue.
    You use that phrase a lot. In the IT world that usually refers to a clueless user. I'm pretty sure that's not the case here. I am well aware of the limitations of a wifi device versus a device with built-in broadband.

    I will agree that not wanting to pay for additional service for a device is a user preference (it's a consumer choice, not a user issue). I only brought it up as a response to your post about the 4G TouchPad. I suppose I should have just ignored that comment since it isn't available yet and therefore wasn't a viable suggestion to resolve my issue in the first place.

    You call out many of my statements as "user issues" as though I shouldn't mention them in my posts because it's some kind of personal problem that only affects me. Yet I would venture a guess that if I am trying to find a way to use my TouchPad to access the internet with my non-Palm phone (certainly not an HP support issue), then there are probably other users out there trying the same thing. I would also guess that there are other users out there who don't want to pay for additional service but still want to use their TouchPad when they are out and about (also not something I would call HP about). I was simply asking this knowledgeable community for advice hoping that someone else may have found a solution to this "user issue" because I assumed that is exactly the type of thing discussed on these boards.

    Given all the viable solutions suggested, it seems I assumed correctly.

    Quote Originally Posted by cawhalen View Post
    Complaining about a bad wifi radio or a lack of support for other phones to tether wifi is legitimate. If I jumped the gun in assessing your issue, I apologize.

    My overall point is that I did not see your initial post bringing to light any new issue with tethering that has not been addressed in many other posts in this forum.
    Tethering and questions about ad-hoc support have been brought up on a few other threads ... not MANY. Some have even started new threads about it since this one began. I've read them all and posted on a few, but no real solution was given on any of the threads before this one, so it hadn't really been "addressed." That's why I started my own thread specifically asking for a workaround. I suppose I could have added this to one of the existing threads, but I thought that if it was okay to have threads specific to sharing wifi via Android, Sprint u760, PDAnet wifi, FreeTether and others, that it would be okay for me to have my own thread to try to find a WM solution. I guess I'm just selfish that way. I apologize.

    Quote Originally Posted by cawhalen View Post
    By immediately questioning a lack of complaining about something that is in your control provoked me to be short in response. I apologize
    Again, I never complained that the device only supported wifi (in my control to purchase such a device). I asked for suggestions about how to use my Windows Mobile phone to provide wifi to my TouchPad (out of my control that HP doesn't support the ad-hoc wifi provided by WM devices). In a community as vocal as this one, I was simply surprised that there weren't more posts looking for a similar solution. Now I realize that is because most TouchPad owners also own Palm phones.

    Cawhalen, clearly you're bothered by the fact that I posted my personal "user issues." I apologize that you had to read them, but the point of my post was simply to elicit some good suggestions for using my current mobile device with my TouchPad until the Pre3 comes out. I will warn you that I may post additional user issues in future, so please feel free to ignore my posts.

    To those of you who offered such suggestions, I thank you. My CradlePoint should be here later this week, and I'll keep you all posted on how that works out.
    Last edited by ag95keri; 07/19/2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

    Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
  4. #44  
    Please do let us know how that CradlePoint works out. Since my current solution involves some buggy beta (that acts more like pre-beta) software which is especially volatile as soon as I try to connect two devices to it.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  5. #45  
    I'm successfully connecting to Google Nexus S set as a wifi hotspot. Also a sierra wireless 3G portable router works well also. I've also tested an iPhone 4 which also works.

    Unfortunately Windows Mobile's hotspot creation capabilities have always been limited.

    Shane.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    Well, the WMrouter also creates an ad-hoc network. Laptop works, touchpad doesn't see it. I guess you need a pre or a dedicated wifi hotspot device that creates a regular wifi network to get on the cell based internet.
    I don't use that program. Have you downloaded the trial version from WMWifiRouter - Welcome?
    It might be just a configuration problem.
    Also have you tried with Bluetooth PAN from Internet Connection Sharing? Might be slow, but should works.

    How about this program http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t=wifi+hotspot
    Last edited by pdaneophyte; 07/19/2011 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Add ICS
  7. #47  
    Have you considered changing from a USB wifi to a Sprint MiFi? The Novatel MiFi 3G/4G allows up to 5 connections (security options similar to a wifi router) and has a rechargeable battery (4 hrs usage).

    It works well for our site office, or for travel. Sprint plan should be same or similar to what you have for your USB wifi (mine is $49.99 for 5GB/mo)
    I see pandas.
  8. ag95keri's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by shanelord View Post
    I've also tested an iPhone 4 which also works.
    Thanks, Shane. Do you know what app was used to create the hotspot on the iPhone? My friend was looking for one, but when she searched the app store, the only apps that came up were apps to find free hotspots.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

    Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
  9. ag95keri's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #49  
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Here is what I've found.

    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    I don't use that program. Have you downloaded the trial version from WMWifiRouter - Welcome?
    It might be just a configuration problem.
    Also have you tried with Bluetooth PAN from Internet Connection Sharing? Might be slow, but should works.

    How about this program [App]HTC CM Wifi Internet Sharing[21/07/2009] - xda-developers
    WMWifiRouter seems to be the most well-know hotspot software for WM, and I tried that first. Unfortunately, that's how I found out that ad-hoc wifi isn't supported on the TP.

    I just looked into using a Bluetooth PAN, but the TP is very restrictive on BT connectivity. Only audio devices, keyboards and webOS phones are fully supported. There is an option for "other" devices, but I haven't been able to get that to connect to my phone. I've seen other threads about this, and it doesn't appear anyone else has had luck with that one either.

    That 3rd program certainly seemed promising, but upon deeper investigation, it also uses ad-hoc wifi.

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Have you considered changing from a USB wifi to a Sprint MiFi? The Novatel MiFi 3G/4G allows up to 5 connections (security options similar to a wifi router) and has a rechargeable battery (4 hrs usage).

    It works well for our site office, or for travel. Sprint plan should be same or similar to what you have for your USB wifi (mine is $49.99 for 5GB/mo)
    Excellent suggestion, this is my fall back option. I had already ordered the CradlePoint when the HP Butler service suggested the mifi. If it doesn't work out, I will be contacting Sprint to upgrade my very old Ovation U727 to a new mifi device. I'm grandfathered in on one of the old unlimited plans, so hopefully they will allow me to upgrade without changing to a limited data plan.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

    Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
  10. rkarolak's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #50  
    I'm not aware of any good hotspot programs for Windows Mobile 6.5 or earlier, but many Android phones can create a wifi hotpot using the 3G as the internet source. In fact, Gingerbread supports this in the OS its self, although most carriers disable this in the stock builds. I use my Evo to create a hotspot and my TP will connect to it without a problem.
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
  11. rkarolak's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    #51  
    You will not see any free hotspot programs for the iPhone unless you jailbreak it. Apple is strict about what they allow in the App Store and the carriers want you to pay an extra ~$30 a month for using your phone as an access point.
    WebOS Devices: Palm Pre-, HP Touchpad
    Android: HTC G1, HTC Evo 4G
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkarolak View Post
    I'm not aware of any good hotspot programs for Windows Mobile 6.5 or earlier, but many Android phones can create a wifi hotpot using the 3G as the internet source. In fact, Gingerbread supports this in the OS its self, although most carriers disable this in the stock builds. I use my Evo to create a hotspot and my TP will connect to it without a problem.
    I use my Rooted Evo with my TP all the time without issue using WiFiTether on both 3G and 4G networks. So if you cannot find a good used Pre, then may look at finding a good used Android phone and trying to use it for outside access till the Pre3 is out.
    sent via my Touchpad and Webos 3.0.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by ag95keri View Post
    Thanks, Shane. Do you know what app was used to create the hotspot on the iPhone? My friend was looking for one, but when she searched the app store, the only apps that came up were apps to find free hotspots.
    I'm in Australia and all of the carriers here allow the hotspot capability at no extra charge - iPhone 4 has the ability built in, but carriers can disable it which may be the case in the US.

    Shane.
  14. ag95keri's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
       #54  
    Got the Cradelpoint almost 2 weeks ago, and it works great! In fact, the reason it took me so long to post my review is because I've been so busy using my TP all over town.

    Amazon.com: CradlePoint PHS300 Personal Hotspot - Wireless access point - 802.11b/g (Version 2.0/2.5.3): Electronics

    It's VERY easy to use and works with both my WM phone and my broadband USB stick. I typically use it with the stick so I don't have to deal with a cable from my phone to the CP.

    I will say that it was a LOT bigger than I expected ... and yes, I know, my fault for not checking out the dimensions first. However, it's okay for me since I carry a purse. Might be a bit more problematic for guys if you were hoping to carry it in your pocket since it's about the size of a typical external HD.

    I will also say that the battery could last longer (3-4 hours of continuous use), but otherwise, it's great. It's just what I needed to tide me over until I get my Pre3.

    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions, and a special thanks to daffy4u who suggested the Cradlepoint!
    Last edited by ag95keri; 08/07/2011 at 11:56 AM.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

    Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
  15. #55  
    Glad it worked for you ag95keri!

    The 3-4 hours of battery life is pretty typical of hotspot devices. I have had a Sprint Overdrive, T-Mobile and Verizon hotspots and they've all had 2-4 hour battery life.
  16. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #56  
    I'm late in here but I was hoping to do the same as OP. Have a WM6.0 Treo 750 and when I'm out and about with my Vista laptop I normally use Internet Sharing on the phone and connect from the laptop to the phone via bluetooth to share the internet connection. I assumed the same would be possible with the TP.

    Tried it today in Harvey Norman and the TP couldn't even find my bluetooth phone for starters (under 'other', although it found dozens of other devices in the store). When I've already got more than enough data on my phone I'm seriously not keen (as wasn't the OP) on paying a packet extra for a separate device.

    So I take it there's no way to do TP -> Treo -> Internet?

    Greg
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    I'm late in here but I was hoping to do the same as OP. Have a WM6.0 Treo 750 and when I'm out and about with my Vista laptop I normally use Internet Sharing on the phone and connect from the laptop to the phone via bluetooth to share the internet connection. I assumed the same would be possible with the TP.

    Tried it today in Harvey Norman and the TP couldn't even find my bluetooth phone for starters (under 'other', although it found dozens of other devices in the store). When I've already got more than enough data on my phone I'm seriously not keen (as wasn't the OP) on paying a packet extra for a separate device.

    So I take it there's no way to do TP -> Treo -> Internet?

    Greg
    I don't know much about Windows Mobil phones or the Treo specifically, but doing a quick Google search I found that there is a WM Wifi Router app as well as a HTC Wifi Router app and another called "WalkingHotSpot". I think the easiest way is to grab one of those guys to turn your phone into a Wifi HotSpot that the TP can connect to.

    The TouchPad can pair to WebOS phones via Bluetooth for forwarding calls and texts and it works beautifully, but it doesn't work with non-WebOS devices. Unfortunately I'm not sure about tethering via bluetooth.

    That being said, if you are familiar with turning your phone into a "WiFi Router" then that's the way to go.
    32Gb LG G2 - 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 / Cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2) Dual Boot @ 1.8Ghz

    RETIRED:
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Mine
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - LunaCE 4.9.5 - Also Mine
    16Gb Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 @ 1.9Ghz - Wife's (replaced with GS3)
    32Gb TouchPad webOS 3.0.5 @ 1.8Ghz - Also Wife's

    Past: 2 Sprint Pre(minuses), a Sprintified Pre+, and a Sprintified Pre2.
  18. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #58  
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately the Treo 750 doesn't have WiFi, only Bluetooth and USB. As I can do this easily on my XP and Vista laptops I presumed there would have to be a way on the more-up-to-date TP.

    Anyone?
  19. #59  
    Whoops, sorry, I feel kind of dumb now, I had no idea it didn't have WiFi. Sorry I can't be more help.
  20. gregp's Avatar
    Posts
    265 Posts
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    #60  
    Not at all I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Hopefully someone else is in a similar situation to me and can assist.

    Thanks.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions