Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    just get prepared on Ur phone and install freetether problem solved
    scratch that overlooked that you have a windows phone
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I thought getting a used Pre would make the most sense, so the OP wouldn't waste his upgrade with the Pre3 due out shortly...
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I would try a hotspot device with the touchpad before you buy it. It may not work on the touchpad. My wife's Nokia has a wifi router, but it acts more like a peer to peer system than a standard hard wired wifi router, and the touchpad cannot get all the way to the internet with it. If anyone is actually getting an internet connection to work on their cell service using something other than a pre with freetether, please chime in!
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    I'm using a Verizon 4G hotspot with my Touchpad and have also used a T-Mobile 4G hotspot (as well as my Pre).
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    I'm using a Verizon 4G hotspot with my Touchpad and have also used a T-Mobile 4G hotspot (as well as my Pre).
    Cool! What happens in the map application? Does it know where you are? (Do location services work with cell service based internet service?)
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    I switched from my home wifi to my hotspot before opening the map app. It did find my location right away. I am at home so it may be a cheat. While I'm out and about this week (now that Carmageddon is over), I'll test again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    I would try a hotspot device with the touchpad before you buy it. It may not work on the touchpad. My wife's Nokia has a wifi router, but it acts more like a peer to peer system than a standard hard wired wifi router, and the touchpad cannot get all the way to the internet with it. If anyone is actually getting an internet connection to work on their cell service using something other than a pre with freetether, please chime in!
    hate go be a jerk, but multiple people already have.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    hate go be a jerk, but multiple people already have.
    Sorry, must have missed those posts. Was following another thread earlier but only saw references to connecting via a pre. Still disappointed by the fact I can't use Joikuspot with the touchpad, hope 3.02 fixes it.
    Just wanted to add that what you were told about the Veer not being supported is false. I have a Veer and am sending this post via freetether.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    Sorry, must have missed those posts. Was following another thread earlier but only saw references to connecting via a pre. Still disappointed by the fact I can't use Joikuspot with the touchpad, hope 3.02 fixes it.
    What phone are you using that on? I doubt 3.02 fixes it, honestly, but the homebrew community might be able to whip something up. With Android, you can adjust one of the .conf files in the system to allow for connecting to an ad-hoc network. The problem with that is you get to connect to one or the other, so you basically have to create a second file with the ad-hoc settings, keep both, and swap file extensions every time you want to switch to connecting to a different type of network.

Perhaps it would be different with the TP, but I think there is probably a similar reason for this limitation in both operating systems, and it probably, honestly, has to do with discouraging the use of third party wireless tethering apps.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    For Windows Mobile phone try WMRouter (I think that's what the program called). You might have a better luck searching @ xda-developers. It also depends on whether your phone is a touchscreen or not.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    You purchased a wifi Touchpad. The only way you are going to get access to wifi is if your phone can tether or you are in a wifi location. If you are confused as to how you can use wifi outside of your home, this is not a Touchpad issue. It is a user issue. Apple 4G Touchpad is next best alternative, but I imagine there will be users going that route who will complain because of the extra cost of service... and it will be HP's fault at that.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Sorry, I intermixed Apple with AT&T bcause I used to always associate the two.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cawhalen View Post
    You purchased a wifi Touchpad. The only way you are going to get access to wifi is if your phone can tether or you are in a wifi location. If you are confused as to how you can use wifi outside of your home, this is not a Touchpad issue. It is a user issue. Apple 4G Touchpad is next best alternative, but I imagine there will be users going that route who will complain because of the extra cost of service... and it will be HP's fault at that.
    A user issue, seriously!?! Yes, I purchased a wifi TouchPad. That was the only TouchPad available on launch, and the AT&T 4G TouchPad is still not available on either the HP or AT&T website.

My question was NOT how to use wifi outside my home. My question was how to get my TouchPad to access the internet connection on my phone, and the whole point of the question was how to avoid the extra cost of service because I already have 3 devices (2 phones and a Sprint broadband modem) with service. Feel free to call me cheap because I don't want to pay for a 4th.

Before you insult another poster, you might want to make sure you understand the question. Of course, you may be running into your own PBKAC issue since you have trouble distinguising AT&T and Apple.
    Last edited by ag95keri; 07/18/2011 at 02:35 PM.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
    Jonesey likes this.
    LOL Keri, glad to see you have no problem with being assertive. I liked the suggestion of scooping up an non-contract phone. I just did that for my daughter and got her a Pixi Plus for $45, although it was for Verizon. However, I'm sure you could probably pick one up cheap for Sprint as well. For others reading this that might have the same question and are on Verizon, I would also share that the Pre and Pixi models still are given free hotspot status, although Verizon has now switched to much more expensive data plans.
    All for One and One for All!
    I just tried to pick up a replacement from Sprint as I've lost then ability to hear callers unless by speakerphone. There were no Pres to be found (maybe going through the website would have been easier). I purchased a new bluetooth headset to hold me over until Pre 3 arrives.

eBay Pres are too expensive. Craigslist had some deals that seemed a little shady. I'd love for someone to point me to good source.

Sorry for the hijack ag95krri.
    Quote Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
    I just tried to pick up a replacement from Sprint as I've lost then ability to hear callers unless by speakerphone. There were no Pres to be found (maybe going through the website would have been easier). I purchased a new bluetooth headset to hold me over until Pre 3 arrives.

eBay Pres are too expensive. Craigslist had some deals that seemed a little shady. I'd love for someone to point me to good source.

Sorry for the hijack ag95krri.
    Try here: Amazon.com: Palm Pre Phone (Sprint): Everything Else

They seem to only have used ones that are cheap, but if you're waiting for the Pre 3, then a used one may suffice.
    All for One and One for All!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    This is where the much maligned Playbook bridge is saving ordinary consumer money by not requiring a tethering plan with a blackberry. Don't need to hack or root your phone.

Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Thanks pdaneophite! I'm going to try using my treo pro as the hotspot when I travel. (The only reason I posted here was to warn the OP that there are some wifi hotspots that don't work with the Touchpad, so try the hotspot solution before you buy it. The Nokia N8 hotspot works for my laptop and Treo Pro, but not the Touchpad. Too bad, as I like the Nokia's speed and quad band radio.....)
    jedtron likes this.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast