Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Wh0mpu5
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Thought i would make a post on my thoughts on the touchpad , as this is my first Dive into the WebOs world.

First impressions seem to last and in this case its no different . Very Astute. Very clean , and very snappy.

The device feels very natural to hold and touch. The design "looks" big and heavy but is very deceiving and that thought ends there as soon as you pick it up . The TP feels solid , feels very good in my hands as far as feeling like it will fall . It does not feel dainty like the Ipad 2 does to me.

The boot up time , is probably about the same as just about any other device out there, so it really is a non issue.

The UI is probably one of the simplest and most functional i have seen. No clutter of app icons , Easy to distinguish icons along the bottom.

Even though there are only 4 Catagories for where apps go , it is functional , i would like to be able to add more , and i thought i saw a screen shot somewhere , where someone was able to customize and add , but for the life of me i can't find it.

The idea behind cards was in a word simple. and simple is what makes for a easy to use and Great device. I work in a retail store and i work with technology all day , and i have used other tablets , the Acer iconia , Asus Transformer , Motorola Xoom ,Blackberry Playbook, Acer W500 Windows tab , and misc other wanna be tablet ereaders with android. I have ownd both the Ipad 1 and 2 and Playbook . and The way i can only best describe the cards is like a Deck of cards on front of you . and just about everyone can play with a deck of cards and automatically know how they work.

The gestures are very similar to the Blackberry Playbook and the Ipad 1 and 2, And that is what makes the gestures so significant because there is a small measure of simularities that i like and that the general public will like.

The ability to "wirelessly" Charge a device is probably the least of most peoples features to look for , although no less significant than the OS itself. Touchstone , although i have yet to try it , in theory is a Very innovative way to charge a device . I only wish they would furthur that technologies into the Laptop world for use there. Would make life a little easier i think.

Apps and putting files on the HP tablet , is also very easy , as it is either going through the app catalogue or when you connect as a USB drive you have access to all the files. To which the more technically savy of us can then easily transfer files to and from the device.

The app catalogue is bar non the best i have seen , both in choice and functionality. Being able to purchase, download and install an app without actually leaving the screen your in is Fantastic. It makes for a much better experience when looking for apps and such.

So to conclude this little view i will say that i think with a tiny itty bit of polishing HP will definitly be getting a large part of the pie on the market. I can't say they will go toe to toe with Ipad , but they will certainly be a very close alternative to the Ios options.

The Hp Touchpad is a Fantastic tablet , and is complimented by webOs .

Greg
    Yes I agree After using the Touchpad for almost two weeks now. I am having a hard time using my wife's Ipad. The multitasking experience is not just there.
    Synergy just works! I had a Xoom as well which I sold right after I got the Touchpad and all I can say is the TP is better. Although I miss TAPTU and the PULSE apps in my zoom. I know in the future they will noticed HP's tablet.

I hope HP continues to innovate the TP and expand WEBOS to other devices. If they can buy BOXEE or create their own presence in media streaming via TV, they can be a worthy competitor to the IPAD.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    once u go web os its very hard to go back to anything else. HP just needs more app support and a bit more notiriaty and i see the touchpad as a close #2.

If Hp can really streamline their product updates, they really can give apple a run for their money.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    just thought i would join in

i am also an owner of the acer iconia a500 and ipad 2. i bought my TP on firday from CPW and was very excited prior to release. i love the feel of the TP in my hand. it feels solid and well made not so fragile as my ipad 2. i also love webos even though for me it just hasnt quite delivered even from my palm pre days. the OS promises alot but it just misses the mark slightly. there are a few serious issues that need addressing like random freezes and reboots, text resizing and slight graphic distortion on text on some websites etc. also flash playback starts off good but seems to stutter midway on hd 720p within website(youtube). i still however find myself using it and really want it to do well. HP seem committed to webos so hopefully TP will grow from strength to strength. dont like the fact the 4g version has a bigger processor at 1.5 ghz when this is only 1.2ghz. interesting to see how this pans out! i am already looking fwd to the OTA scheduled for end of july as so far my first impressions have been tainted ever so slightly.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    once u go web os its very hard to go back to anything else. HP just needs more app support and a bit more notiriaty and i see the touchpad as a close #2.

If Hp can really streamline their product updates, they really can give apple a run for their money.
    we need more devs and some of the other manufacturers to get onto the webos bandwagon. webos is being licensed out so lets see if the likes of samsung, lg etc jump on board. if that happens then webos will only grow stronger.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    I wish i could Dev for Webos , but i haven't a clue where to start. I am a hardware guy myself , but would love to jump on the software band wagon . :P
    shingers, mind if I ask why you need an Iconia, iPad2 and a Touchpad?

don't get too upset about the faster processor on the 4G. They are paying more for that extra speed and the chances are most TP will be overclockable to 1.5ghz by the time it hits the streets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh0mpu5 View Post
    I wish i could Dev for Webos , but i haven't a clue where to start. I am a hardware guy myself , but would love to jump on the software band wagon . :P
    One dev's beginning steps:

From zero to webOS developer in one month
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    shingers, mind if I ask why you need an Iconia, iPad2 and a TouchPad.
    good question lol

love new tech and ipad 2 was a must have as it just works. hate all the apple dictatorship nonsense so honeycomb seemed the next best thing! got acer a500 as personally i quite like the design and the dev activity on honeycomb excited me. i would have got rid of the acer but still not sold on the TP. hence i have all 3.
    Greg, welcome to the world of webOS. It really is better here and you'll not find a better mobile OS community than here at Pre|Central, I guarantee it. Stick around, it's only going to get better (hopefully).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh0mpu5 View Post
    Thought i would make a post on my thoughts on the touchpad , as this is my first Dive into the WebOs world.

First impressions seem to last and in this case its no different . Very Astute. Very clean , and very snappy.

The device feels very natural to hold and touch. The design "looks" big and heavy but is very deceiving and that thought ends there as soon as you pick it up . The TP feels solid , feels very good in my hands as far as feeling like it will fall . It does not feel dainty like the Ipad 2 does to me.

The boot up time , is probably about the same as just about any other device out there, so it really is a non issue.

The UI is probably one of the simplest and most functional i have seen. No clutter of app icons , Easy to distinguish icons along the bottom.

Even though there are only 4 Catagories for where apps go , it is functional , i would like to be able to add more , and i thought i saw a screen shot somewhere , where someone was able to customize and add , but for the life of me i can't find it.

The idea behind cards was in a word simple. and simple is what makes for a easy to use and Great device. I work in a retail store and i work with technology all day , and i have used other tablets , the Acer iconia , Asus Transformer , Motorola Xoom ,Blackberry Playbook, Acer W500 Windows tab , and misc other wanna be tablet ereaders with android. I have ownd both the Ipad 1 and 2 and Playbook . and The way i can only best describe the cards is like a Deck of cards on front of you . and just about everyone can play with a deck of cards and automatically know how they work.

The gestures are very similar to the Blackberry Playbook and the Ipad 1 and 2, And that is what makes the gestures so significant because there is a small measure of simularities that i like and that the general public will like.

The ability to "wirelessly" Charge a device is probably the least of most peoples features to look for , although no less significant than the OS itself. Touchstone , although i have yet to try it , in theory is a Very innovative way to charge a device . I only wish they would furthur that technologies into the Laptop world for use there. Would make life a little easier i think.

Apps and putting files on the HP tablet , is also very easy , as it is either going through the app catalogue or when you connect as a USB drive you have access to all the files. To which the more technically savy of us can then easily transfer files to and from the device.

The app catalogue is bar non the best i have seen , both in choice and functionality. Being able to purchase, download and install an app without actually leaving the screen your in is Fantastic. It makes for a much better experience when looking for apps and such.

So to conclude this little view i will say that i think with a tiny itty bit of polishing HP will definitly be getting a large part of the pie on the market. I can't say they will go toe to toe with Ipad , but they will certainly be a very close alternative to the Ios options.

The Hp Touchpad is a Fantastic tablet , and is complimented by webOs .

Greg
    I Agree. HP did a good job with the App catalogue. Very functional, simple, and elegant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I Agree. HP did a good job with the App catalogue. Very functional, simple, and elegant.
    While I agree with the basic premises that WebOS catalog is still the best in terms of background installs and simple purchase options. IMHO it needs a lot of improvement, there is currently no way to see most downloaded app or the most well reviewed apps or a way to sort by price. All of this was present in the phone version of app catalog. Touchpad version of app catalog is a step back.

They also took away my favorite feature of showing exactly how many downloads an app has had. Granted this brings zero functionality but I always thought this made Palm look more transparent than every other app vendor out there.
    the download count was a patch... But I agree that I really miss having that.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I am reading that as we .......read.... :P

Thanks for the reference.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    Greg, welcome to the world of webOS. It really is better here and you'll not find a better mobile OS community than here at Pre|Central, I guarantee it. Stick around, it's only going to get better (hopefully).
    Thanks , i am and was a part of Crackberry's site while i had the Playbook , but alas RIM dissapointed me , i may pick one up again later as a additional device but i think the touchpad will be my main device now.