Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By Dee McKillop
  • 1 Post By hagster
  • 1 Post By Dee McKillop
  1.    #1  
    Just noticed that the Times Saturday review (p32) nominates the Touchpad as 'the gadget'
    The review is fair (I think) but there is still this really annoying comparison to the ipad. The TP is not trying to be an ipad (thankfully) so it's a bit naff to constantly make references to the ipad in the same space!
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Not really. As the (first?) leading tablet in the market, the iPad will be the benchmark to beat.
    NNJ
  3.    #3  
    I understand that but should the TP not be judged on its own merits and issues, constant comparison only serves to place it as an inferior version of the ipad. I just don't believe that it is. It's an interesting debate!
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Why would it be placed as inferior? I don't think so. Consider this: they compared the iPad to it, but still placed it as 'the gadget'.
    We've got 2 newbies in the forum (scrawny girls/chicks as they describe themselves) who are totally in love with theirs.
    I think this will be the kind of reaction we'll continue to see from people who try it out, and now that the marketing drive is starting, it can only get better from here.
    NNJ
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Why would it be placed as inferior? I don't think so. Consider this: they compared the iPad to it, but still placed it as 'the gadget'.
    They don't mean "definitive article", in the context of that column they mean it's the gadget of the week, next week something else will be "The gadget". Still it's an excellent bit of PRPRPR $for$ $HP$ ($shame$ $the$ $website$ $is$ $now$ $behind$ $a$ $paywall$ $or$ $more$ $people$ $might$ $see$ $it$).

More broadly, the public are going to want to know how it stacks up against the ipad, so it would be odd if they didn't mention it.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Yes, I knew that, but it's still impressive that this would find itself to be the gadget of the week.
    NNJ
  7.    #7  
    I'm new to the forum too, aged and scrawny chick! This tough old bird really does love her TP AND this forum. I'm new to TP and it's hard to believe there's so much good info here. It's the first place I would look if I had a problem with my tp!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee McKillop View Post
    I'm new to the forum too, aged and scrawny chick! This tough old bird really does love her TP AND this forum. I'm new to TP and it's hard to believe there's so much good info here. It's the first place I would look if I had a problem with my tp!
    Welcome, and have a 'thanks' and a 'like' to get you going. This is the forum for webOS and the Touchpad by far (webOSroundup is pretty good too).
    Dee McKillop likes this.
    Welcome to the P|C forums, Dee
    Now I'm going to read every post of yours and hear that great Glasgow accent!
  10.    #10  
    Well thank you. I will be a regular visitor and, hopefully, will bring some (famous) Glasgow humour to the forum! I'm really impressed so far. PS-are you REALLY behind me?
    Cantaffordit likes this.
    Hi Dee, sorry this is off topic but can you tell me if BBC iplayer works on your Touchpad? I nearly picked one up today from Staples but really want to know if the iplayer works first. I thought as my Pre2 had flash enabled that it would play iplayer but it doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee McKillop View Post
    Another tough old bird -- that makes two of us. Welcome and enjoy your Touchpad.