Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By sprkjonz
  • 1 Post By Jonesey
  • 1 Post By ilovemypreplus
  1.    #1  
    I bought my TouchPad on day one, after reading the positive posts here at PreCentral. One thing I've been wanting to mention is that I think the negative reviews are totally wrong when it comes to a minor annoyance for them: the shiny black back.
    Reviewers say its a fingerprint magnet. Since the first day using it, I have actually found the back to be a big plus for me. When I hold the Touchpad with one hand, the slick surface helps me to grip the device and I can turn it almost vertical with one hand, without it slipping. My nephew, who has an iPad2, walked in and saw me holding the TouchPad, and was very confused as to how I managed to hang on to it so casually. I think he was mildly jealous (just a little).
    Sure it has fingerprints on the back, but oddly enough I never see them while using my TouchPad.
    I really don't get the argument to this. Its like saying "Let's not buy that TV, the back collects way too much dust." Because really? We're going to be looking at the back of the device?
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Noah View Post
    I really don't get the argument to this. Its like saying "Let's not buy that TV, the back collects way too much dust." Because really? We're going to be looking at the back of the device?
    Hahahaha, I completely agree!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    I too have been pleasantly surprised with how tacky (sticky, that is) the back of the TP is. I often just have my hand flat on the back, no fingertips around any edge, and can hold it nearly vertical. And I'm not a gecko. I've tried the iPad2 in stores, and although it is thinner and lighter, I feel it requires more of an actual grip. To each his own, but I think dismissing the choice of materials as cheap or inferior is not totally accurate. Plastic is used in so many high end products that it comes down to design choice and personal preference more than quality.

That said, I wouldn't trade my MacBook Pro for any other laptop. And I specifically rejected the white MacBook, in good part due to it's being plastic. So I can totally understand the consumer draw of the iPad2 just based on design and materials.
    cobrakon likes this.
    I have 0 issues with it or the build quality.

unfortunately people will hate regardless. Even if its the best thing since sliced bread. Unless there is an apple logo on it then whatever the device is will never be good enough.

I think the TP is absolutely perfect the way it is. At the end of the day (and I dont care what anyone says) HP knows what they are doing even if its not clearly stated.
    I don't mind the plastic case, I just wish it was a lighter color so the fingerprints would show less... Like silver/grey.

better still would be matte black like the Pre2/Veer.

but it's not something that would keep me from owning the TP. I just keep eyeglass cleaner close by.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Noah View Post
    it's like saying"don't wear white clothes because of when they get dirty they show it"
    I'm sure they could've come up with an equally sticky surface without it being the fingerprint magnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SprkJonz View Post
    I bought my TouchPad on day one, after reading the positive posts here at PreCentral. One thing I've been wanting to mention is that I think the negative reviews are totally wrong when it comes to a minor annoyance for them: the shiny black back.
    Reviewers say its a fingerprint magnet. Since the first day using it, I have actually found the back to be a big plus for me. When I hold the Touchpad with one hand, the slick surface helps me to grip the device and I can turn it almost vertical with one hand, without it slipping. My nephew, who has an iPad2, walked in and saw me holding the TouchPad, and was very confused as to how I managed to hang on to it so casually. I think he was mildly jealous (just a little).
    Sure it has fingerprints on the back, but oddly enough I never see them while using my TouchPad.
    Actually you are right! I hold it with one hand from the back also. Your fingers are able to grip the back without it sliding. Good point! You can't do that with a metal back. Makes it a lot easier to hold the back with one hand, and use your other hand to navigate. Works awesome.
    I got mine with the case at the same time and it is rubbery and covers the back so it doesn't matter what it's made of. I suspect most people will eventually use a case.
    grappler likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by marclh1992 View Post
    Hahahaha, I completely agree!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maracuja View Post
    it's like saying"don't wear white clothes because of when they get dirty they show it"
    That brings up another good point. Reviewers will complain about a shiny black plastic back getting finger prints on it but then go ga ga over a completely white device that will get dirty if anything touches it. If they really cared so much about how the back of a device looks wouldn't they have the same problem with the way the whole device looks?