Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Come on, seriously? I purchased this, intending to use overdrive media console and borrow from digital libraries. Currently, there isn't anything on the touchpad that will read the epub file? That's crazy! Anybody gotten anything in an epub format to work? (DRM protected).
    You should know what's on the device before you buy it. There currently to my knowledge is no eReader.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    MeltedwireAC likes this.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakeeeee View Post
    You should know what's on the device before you buy it. There currently to my knowledge is no eReader.
    Thanks, that was helpful.
    iamthenoah likes this.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    yeah, I don't like those kind of responses either. There's eoub in the app catalog, don't know if it would work for you but its also not yet formatted for TP. Soon, one would hope....can Kindle read these? That should be here by the end of the month.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I'm not positive this will help, but I bookmarked this article so I could try it out later on. It's a web based ereader....

Ibis Reader: An Innovative Mobile Web App - eBookNewser
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    I actually just signed in and tried it out. I was able to open the free books they have online, but I don't have anything in ereader format to try out...
    Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
    Thanks, that was helpful.
    You shouldn't expect something on a device unless it's on the box.

He should have done research.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

right -- you should not expect something unless it is on the box or all of the videos about the device on the internet -- i ordered my TP from QVC -- hey guess what i could not see the stupid box -- but i did see one heck of a lot of videos depicting a usable kindle app. this was one of the big features that swayed me to lay down the money --what about all of the people that pre-ordered theirs?-- your post is not a helpful one and a waste of time -- this day and age it is not that you should not expect something unless it is on the box but what kind of tablet doesn't have a reader or the abilty to edit buisiness docs -- this is supposed to be a device entered into the market by the premier enterprise device company -- i love the touchpad and will fight someone in the train depot for bad mouthing webos -- so i am not bad mouthing the device because i am early adopter and i know these things will come but i feel that the op had a point and your reply and that of jakeee are useless to me -- thanks
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I'm able to read books I bought on ereader.com with their online reading application called Amigo. Not great, but usable, but you have to have a an internet connection..
    I'm looking forward to the Kindle app. This seems to be the same recurring theme, why did they put out a device without all the software ready to go. But prior to release everyone was saying they need to release the device right now... I would stop complaining and accept our lot as early adopters. I'm actually surprised at how quickly different applications are showing up in the store...
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Jake_M and fxspec06 like this.
    Your best bet is to request an eReader from a known eReader developer.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
    I'm able to read books I bought on ereader.com with their online reading application called Amigo. Not great, but usable, but you have to have a an internet connection..
    I'm looking forward to the Kindle app. This seems to be the same recurring theme, why did they put out a device without all the software ready to go. But prior to release everyone was saying they need to release the device right now... I would stop complaining and accept our lot as early adopters. I'm actually surprised at how quickly different applications are showing up in the store...
    thanks -- i have a lot of books i bought back in the day from peanut press (ereader.com) -- i will look into this -- i am glad that HP pushed out the touchpad early rather then polishing every detail.. electronic devices are always a work in progress in this day and age an i at this time have full confidence that updates will be pushed out soon and bring us the functionality that we all want. I however disagree with you about the complaining as if it is done at least a little constructively it will help HP to prioritize the items that need to be fixed into the order that best suits their customers. my main complaint here was the posts with no point in this thread ---- like the one 2 up from this one by Jakeee
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    i disagree -- call it criticism if you need to -- it brings a problem to light -- and the fact that there is no reader for the touchpad is a problem
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    observator likes this.
    They didn't manage to get the Kindle app ready for the launch date but didn't want to delay the launch because people complained so much about delays... but AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $should$ $be$ $made$ $available$ $this$ $week$.

Kindle WOULD help you, right?
    use preader in the app catalog, will run in window but it will work for now. Hopefully someone will come out with something in the next week.
    We just need to wait another week to see what the OTA and ect.. brings. If it is still missing after that then something is wrong. We are early adopters, and are seeing what needs to come. I suggest emailing all of your favorite program manufacturers (Lastpass, Teamviewer, Mozilla, or whatever) and let them know that WebOs is here and that someone wants them to create their product for it. I have been doing this for any program that I find that I am currently missing. So far the answer has either been, 1. is on the road map but we are waiting to see the demand, or 2. Webos..... So it is Android? We have an Android and Ipad implementation... blah blah blah. I even called Sky Germany(like Time/Warner) Technical department and they have never even heard of the Touchpad. However, I must admit that the German Advertisement of this product has been purely a Forum based one. Not too many people here are aware that they are missing something. I am looking forward to the Advertisement push here. At least you guys in the States have demo stands in your Best Buys. So far in Germany, the only info is from HP.com.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Yeah, I have yet to see a single ad here in Germany; their advertisement push seems to be for anglophone countries only.

A pity; I think Hape (!!!) Kerkeling would be an awesome Russell Brand 'replacement' for commercials following the same basic style. Maybe Lena instead of iCarly for the girlies and Philipp Lahm instead of Pacquiao (kleiner Kerl kann trotzdem stark sein).

They need to start raising awareness here like they are already doing elsewhere. It's sad that Sky doesn't know about the TouchPad... I'd have reckoned that's one of the things HP would try to get because didn't they want the Top Something apps for every country? I'd say that the app suite for the only Pay TV service worth mentioning available in Germany is a Top app.
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    We just need to wait another week to see what the OTA and ect.. brings. If it is still missing after that then something is wrong. We are early adopters, and are seeing what needs to come. I suggest emailing all of your favorite program manufacturers (Lastpass, Teamviewer, Mozilla, or whatever) and let them know that WebOs is here and that someone wants them to create their product for it. I have been doing this for any program that I find that I am currently missing. So far the answer has either been, 1. is on the road map but we are waiting to see the demand, or 2. Webos..... So it is Android? We have an Android and Ipad implementation... blah blah blah. I even called Sky Germany(like Time/Warner) Technical department and they have never even heard of the Touchpad. However, I must admit that the German Advertisement of this product has been purely a Forum based one. Not too many people here are aware that they are missing something. I am looking forward to the Advertisement push here. At least you guys in the States have demo stands in your Best Buys. So far in Germany, the only info is from HP.com.
    i agree with you -- wait for the soon to be implemented OTA -- and really good advice get on the back of people and let them know you desire their apps -- i only hope that the ota is indeed quick in implementation -- thankfully verizon is not involved so this should be quickly in the books
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    ladies and gentlemen, the person who started this thread vented a little and then s/he gets told caveat emptor. Why be so harsh? Because you don't want any other webOS users so our favorite OS can fail? Have some class. Help them out. Give us some hope. Yeesh.
    even if he did research on the touchpad, no one is going to know everything that the touchpad has or hasnt and especially with apps that can change day to day.

imo it doesnt do any good with some of the comments to buy something else.

i think it should be understood that with the new touchpad and the new veer and the new pre3 coming... you are going to have new people visiting this board... trying to do their research... and if all people do is get sensitive for asking why this or that is not on the tp or if they make comparisions on the ipad or 10.1 looking for feedback or take it as negative criticism and tell them to buy an ipad2... you know, some just may do that.

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post

bevcraw likes this.
    I was a little surprised that the Kindle app wasn't available too-had been wishing for it on my Pre- so in Feb, when the TP announcement went out, I was super excited. That said I have Kindle and I expect a high level of quality so if it wasn't really ready, I'm ok with the delay.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast