Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post

Kindle WOULD help you, right?
    Neither the Kindle nor Kindle apps will read ePub books.

I haven't used pReader in a long while but I think it reads non-DRM'd ePub books. A reading app with Adobe Digital Editions [nook, Kobo, Sony...] needs to be brought on board. Or as someone else mentioned web based readers might be available from the site(s) where the books were purchased.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    I actually just signed in and tried it out. I was able to open the free books they have online, but I don't have anything in ereader format to try out...
    Try here: WebScription Ebooks - Free Library
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Looks like you have to buy the book from the ereader website, then you may read it with Amigo..
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    ...but i did see one heck of a lot of videos depicting a usable kindle app. this was one of the big features that swayed me to lay down the money...
    Here is a video of the Kindle beta. Hopefully, out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tdogg0413 View Post
    Come on, seriously? I purchased this, intending to use overdrive media console and borrow from digital libraries. Currently, there isn't anything on the touchpad that will read the epub file? That's crazy! Anybody gotten anything in an epub format to work? (DRM protected).
    Dude get a Kindle 3 or something as a reader. Reading on tablets is hard on the eyes. Kindle 3 is ten times lighter than any tablet and can be taken outdoors and read in direct sunlight. Way way way longer battery life, lighter, thinner, and fairly cheap. Kindle doesn't read epub though. Reads mobi and amazon. Although you can get a free converter and convert all your books fairly quickly.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Dude get a Kindle 3 or something as a reader. Reading on tablets is hard on the eyes. Kindle 3 is ten times lighter than any tablet and can be taken outdoors and read in direct sunlight. Way way way longer battery life, lighter, thinner, and fairly cheap. Kindle doesn't read epub though. Reads mobi and amazon. Although you can get a free converter and convert all your books fairly quickly.
    Check out the video of the beta of Kindle I posed above. There are ways to change the background color so it may not have the glare or be hard to read from--at least that was my thought as I watched it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    while I agree that the kindle is great for what it does but that is not the point - I just spent 700 dollars for a tablet and accessories. I Want to be able to carry it instead of my laptop. I don"t want to spend more money .. I have been reading books on palm devices since my palm V. It not unreasonable for me to expect for there to be a reader on the tablet and a kindle app would be even better. In the coming weeks we will see. Until then I am using preader native app in the small window to read my books. It is to be expected that there is some waiting to be done when you buy a device when it comes out. However the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I have contacted the dev of the preader app to ask that he release a tablet version ...let us hope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Midway99 and gabe2gg like this.
    The developer of pReader just posted that he has made the changes to pReader to allow it to run full screen on the TouchPad. The native version is getting an Enyo update as we speak.

pReader reads many formats including DRMs. Jappus expects to have ADE also. There is a link in the pReader thread with instructions for de-DRMing Kindle books. Even though it might take some extra steps for some formats, pReader has most bases covered.
    mapenn and bevcraw like this.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    The developer of pReader just posted that he has made the changes to pReader to allow it to run full screen on the TouchPad. The native version is getting an Enyo update as we speak.
    Now THAT's great news!
    WOW ... No READER ??!! I was ready to get one, in spite of the issues, BUT without a reader I am back on the sidelines waiting for HP to get it right. I so wanted to support them. I have been a Palm user/supporter since Pilot.
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm M515 - Treo 680 - Palm Pre+ at&t - HP 32G Touchpad - HP Pre3 at&t
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyDuck88 View Post
    WOW ... No READER ??!! I was ready to get one, in spite of the issues, BUT without a reader I am back on the sidelines waiting for HP to get it right. I so wanted to support them. I have been a Palm user/supporter since Pilot.
    Please see 3 posts up. There IS an Preaderthat works on the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Thanks for the support guys, yes, I was just venting, why else would I stick with Pre- with a cracked screen that, with a rubber band under the power button, super glue holding screen together by the usb "cover"...shall I go on? Yes, I love webos, easiest to use I've seen in a long time.

As for suggestions, I saw a post on how to add something regarding the UI in the "json" file? I'm not a developer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night, so if somebody can assist, I'll give that a shot. Yes, I'm frustrated, pReader will work soon, I'm sure. I did enough research, I can convert the DRM downloaded books into a format readable by pReader. I'll post my "success" when I can. You guys Rock.
    As I said, Jappus has already done the coding needed for pReader to run full screen on the TouchPad. It's been submitted & just waiting for HP to publish the update in the catalog.
    Good news about pReader. At least there is one down the pipeline.
    Good stuff, I hope pReader for touchpad gets approved soon.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i disagree -- call it criticism if you need to -- it brings a problem to light -- and the fact that there is no reader for the touchpad is a problem
    I've decided to take up developing for enyo webos for this very reason. That there is no native ereader is a gross over sight that i hope is soon remedied. A tablet device, by it's nature requires a native reading app; it's expected these days. Knowing this, I'm confident a solution will be created (that doesn't require an internet connection) and have decided to settle on the TP as my tablet of choice, for now.
    No native ereader. No support for Netflix. How's the mapping/navigation on the tablet? I'm wondering what people will use it for.

I really like my Pre, and I love the homebrew community, but I am thinking my next phone may be an Android. I just need to find a vertical slider on Sprint. ;-) I may go with the XPST, as good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    No native ereader. No support for Netflix. How's the mapping/navigation on the tablet? I'm wondering what people will use it for.

I really like my Pre, and I love the homebrew community, but I am thinking my next phone may be an Android. I just need to find a vertical slider on Sprint. ;-) I may go with the XPST, as good enough.
    HP is a company that has over 300000 employees. It takes time in a Company that large to do anything. Besides, They can't release anything unless it has been tested out the yin-yang...... If they were to release patches and software as fast and as untested as the preware guys they would be slammed for no testing. The preware team is awesome, but they do not operate under the same constraints. Good things come to those that wait, especially if certain things have already been mapped for release soon. Just give it more time.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    I've given it a lot of time. I still an using the original Sprint Pre-, which is a little long in the tooth. I was promised WebOS 2, but never got it. I've been waiting more than a year for an upgrade, hardware OR software.

If they'd been churning out software upgrades for my device, I would be more inclined to wait for software upgrades for some other device. I may take a while to get around to upgrading my gadget, but it's looking less and less likely that I will be sticking with WebOS when I get around to doing that.
    HP only took over Palm a year ago, and we are now seeing the fruits of their labor with Webos3. Everything "New" will eventually be brought up to the same OS level. They will probably only upgrade the newer phones. Even Apple stops supporting some of its models eventually. It is a way for them to make you buy one every couple of years. Unfortunately everyone does this. What Palm did in the past is not what HP will necessarily do in the Future.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast