1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See Link.

Take care,

Jay

Disconnect the HP TouchPad the Correct Way

Make a Comment | Brian Burgess | July 16, 2011 02:23 AM

Disconnect the HP TouchPad the Correct Way

BYTE -- Windows users are used to just pulling out USB devices without getting errors. But if you pull the USB cable from your HP TouchPad, WebOS doesn't like it.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I know for one thing even the phones don't like it either.

If you pull the cable, it'll take much longer for the phone to become usable again, displaying the glowing Palm logo for a bit.

PS: Is that guy seriously still using Vista?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I know for one thing even the phones don't like it either.

If you pull the cable, it'll take much longer for the phone to become usable again, displaying the glowing Palm logo for a bit.

PS: Is that guy seriously still using Vista?
    Hi all,

My computer doesn't much care for me disconnecting the cord without ejecting the USB device first!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Truth be told, the Windows users that are "used" to just pulling the USB devices are playing with fire.
    This happened last week on my Win7 64 laptop; pretty sensitive to doing this correctly, as my iPod gets corrupted and has to be reloaded if you just pull it off of the PC.

Was <trying> to install PreWare (hasn't worked yet), so had the TPad in developers mode and was getting "no devices found" or somesuch from WebOS Quick Install. So I ejected the Touchpad, Windows then didn't show it, but it also didn't give a pop-up that it'd be safe to remove it after 2 minutes; figured WTH, pull the cord.

OWWW! That hurts! -> ROFL

Having tried this several times, it appears that the TPad was temporarily hung, as usually it disconnects in a timely manner from the laptop. Just not always. Hopefully, it's something that 3.02 will happen to have addressed. Maybe? Hopefully?
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Guess Vista users need all the tips and help they can get.
    Vista Protip #1: Upgrade to Windows 7, NOW!
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Currently on webOS 2.x & 3.0 unceremoniously pulling the usb cable is one of the few ways to get the Media Indexer to re-index after adding new media to your device.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    This is a bit odd. I've had this error a few times, and I am in the habit of 'safely' removing my devices. It seems you have to eject the device and leave the touchpad a good few seconds before pulling the plug! I do very much like the message it displays, humorous!
    Quote Originally Posted by noseph View Post
    Currently on webOS 2.x & 3.0 unceremoniously pulling the usb cable is one of the few ways to get the Media Indexer to re-index after adding new media to your device.
    The media player should re-index whenever it's launched. It doesn't for you?
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
    The media player should re-index whenever it's launched. It doesn't for you?
    Pretty much broken since 2.x. Sometimes it works properly, most of the time not. I have even left my devices alone for a couple of days and the media does not show unless I do the usb cable pull.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    I've been ejecting my TP from Win7 x64 and despite the fact that Win7 says it's safe to remove, TP still complains that it wasn't done properly.
    Garth H
    San Jose, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by msft_tinkering View Post
    I've been ejecting my TP from Win7 x64 and despite the fact that Win7 says it's safe to remove, TP still complains that it wasn't done properly.
    same here! Although I have once successful disconnected the TouchPad... I havent worked out the pattern though
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    mine too, also Win7-64
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    mine too, also Win7-64
    I had the same problem and I just found the fix for it. Instead of removing the TouchPad through the standard remove hardware task bar option (the bottom right of the W7 screen), go to Windows Explorer and right click the TouchPad drive and select eject and that will eject it properly. For some reason it doesn't work with the regular remove hardware option.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    tp waits for eject event.

windows doesnt send eject event with "safely remove hardware" so always use "eject" in file manager.

maybe there is some 3rdparty hack/patch which repairs the windwos stuff.
    ailire likes this.
    Actually, mine ejects quite well using the "safely remove hardware". Make sure you click the name of the device, indented below the top choice. works every time for me.
    Is there a way to "eject" properly in linux? I'm running KDE and the regular 'safely remove' procedure results in the Owww That Hurts message
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhorder View Post
    Is there a way to "eject" properly in linux? I'm running KDE and the regular 'safely remove' procedure results in the Owww That Hurts message
    Yeah, I use Linux and finally figured out how to do it today.

If you can do an Eject by clicking in the file browser, do that. You'll know if it works if your Touchpad goes back to the homescreen.

If for some reason you can't click Eject (I use OpenBox and Thunar, which didn't give an option for that), then open a terminal and do "fdisk -l" (you might have to do that as root), find the partition that's the Touchpad (for me, it was /dev/sdb but that might be different for you). Then do "eject /dev/sdb" (again, you might have to run it as root. I did) and that should do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaz View Post
    tp waits for eject event.

windows doesnt send eject event with "safely remove hardware" so always use "eject" in file manager.
    I have tried this and still got the complaint from my TP...my OS is not Windows 7, though...Vista.
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I have vista and no problem here.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast