Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
  1.    #1  
    What do you think about tomorrow and the supposed REAL launch for the TouchPad?
    Do you think we will find TouchPad commercials on every commercial break instead of every 12 commercial breaks?
    Will the advertisements for the TouchPad in Staples/Best Buy/Office Depot etc be effective or just a bust?

Discuss!
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    ill tell you tomorrow. (untill then, i domt want to make stuff up)
    Appreciate your efforts here. Think it makes more sense to discuss after the OTA, at least after Kindle which everyone will be expecting as part of the initial package.

Also doc editing something many will expect--not mentioned as part of the OTA on front page of Precentral, wonder if something is delaying this past an end of July launch.

As an aside, I did not know QuickOffice was started by Palm back in the days.
    Other than "because we said so," what makes 7/17 the official launch? Does HP have launch events planned for tomorrow? Are retailers going to be less supply-constrained? Is there a new advertising campaign kicking off tomorrow?
    Being a long time follower of HP I can tell you this is standard operating procedure. HP will usually announce a product will be released, release it (purchasable on HP.com), and then send the product to retailers. They have done that with almost every product they have ever built. I was not expecting anything different when it came to the TouchPad.

What ever Palm did in the past is not how HP will handle things going forward. Afterall, if it was working for Palm, they would not now be owned by HP.
    lukehale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Other than "because we said so," what makes 7/17 the official launch? Does HP have launch events planned for tomorrow? Are retailers going to be less supply-constrained? Is there a new advertising campaign kicking off tomorrow?
    To be honest I don't understand how "because we said so" isn't all the reasoning needed. People keep arguing against that (doesn't completely sound like you are against it) as if the company who is making the product doesn't really get to decide what is/isn't the official "hard launch" date.

Besides that, the fact the this was planned all along sounds like it makes sense to me. Get the product in the hands earlier to those like us early adopters/webOS fans, let us deal with some bugs for a couple weeks so we can have logs sent to them, then have a Hard release with some updates and not be constrained by lack of accessories and what not.

I mean if it was the real hard launch on the 1st, it was a pretty sad attempt on HP's part. Most places had 0 accessories, a lot had no displays up, there was only very little advertising. Surely a company as big as HP would not have trouble getting enough accessories available for a launch of a product.

I believe what HP says. I personally am very much looking forward to what tomorrow brings.
    Last edited by lukehale; 07/16/2011 at 11:33 PM.
    hparsons likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, tomorrow is technically the day that HP launches a lot of its advertising, despite the few advertisements already out there. Whether next month will have more ads than tomorrow really depends on how well it works out for them these last 2 weeks.
    I guess what I'm wondering is what magically happens tomorrow to make the TouchPad better than it is today in a quantifiable way? What's the line between a soft launch and a real launch?
    I guess what I'm wondering is what magically happens tomorrow to make the TouchPad better than it is today in a quantifiable way? What's the line between a soft launch and a real launch?
    Back-to-School Sales Season - The Annual Retail Back-to-School Event
    I was in Staples Friday looking for a case and asked if they had the TouchPad. The salesman said, "no, not yet. It doesn't come out until the 17th." I just smiled and said okay. I didn't tell him I had mine in the car!
    Funny, how the veer is still in a "soft launch" after they launched it, telling no one it was a soft launch, until <<mod delete> reviews and not so good sales...

funny how history repeat itself. I know we dont know any sales numbers or anything but still.....

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice might as well put a bullet i my own head.

All this <<mod delete>> with soft launches AFTER you release the product to all your retailers AND give all the tech reviewers your product that is half baked and everyone thinks its average... you have got to be kidding me. first impressions are everything....

Do you really think Engadget, TIMN, Slashgear, BGR , Cnet etc will do ANOTHER review of the TP with new software???? maybe precentral and WOR but its already done everywhere else...
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/17/2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: language
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Do you really think Engadget, TIMN, Slashgear, BGR , Cnet etc will do ANOTHER review of the TP with new software???? maybe precentral and WOR but its already done everywhere else...
    Actually quite a few reviewers specifically stated in their reviews that they would re-review after it is updated.
    Rnp likes this.
    That's a good point, Vyruz.

Has the Veer officially launched yet? Or are we in the second month of its "soft launch?"
    I'm unclear on what you mean by "other tan 'because we said so'". Who, besides HP has says on when their official launch occurs? Why would it take more than that?
    lukehale likes this.
    Those two questions have no relation to each other. There's no "magic" to make it better, though updates are coming. There is no line between a soft launch and a real launch, a soft launch IS a real launch.
    So, another thread destined to become an anti-HP thread, hijacked by the regular cast of characters. Pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm unclear on what you mean by "other tan 'because we said so'". Who, besides HP has says on when their official launch occurs? Why would it take more than that?
    Been making this point all along. Glad someone else has some sense
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Those two questions have no relation to each other. There's no "magic" to make it better, though updates are coming. There is no line between a soft launch and a real launch, a soft launch IS a real launch.
    Well, soft launches usually see limited marketing (the TouchPad has been advertised fairly heavily in all forms of media) and possibly limited supplies (nobody seems to be having any difficulty finding units on store shelves). I'm just wondering if anything is going to change tomorrow, since it's the real official launch date for the TouchPad.
    Well, soft launches usually see limited marketing (the TouchPad has been advertised fairly heavily in all forms of media) and possibly limited supplies (nobody seems to be having any difficulty finding units on store shelves). I'm just wondering if anything is going to change tomorrow, since it's the real official launch date for the TouchPad.
    I really don't think that was the point, but I'll play along.

I think after we see the marketing they do, even you will agree what we've seen so far was "limited".

Many stores are just now getting stock. Yes, most markets have some stores that have them, but available at BestBuy doesn't help WalMart or Staples if they don't have them when the heavy marketing hits (in my area, WalMart and Staples just got them).

So what's going to change? Guess we'll see soon.
    lukehale and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Should we feel like it's a holiday? Will the average person recognize any changes then because now I am curious to find out where to go and what to take notice of.
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast