Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I haven't seen anything that indicates that there will be 2 OTAs. DeWitt said that he wanted to get apps such as Kindle out as well as an OTA by the end of the month.
    I think the HP movie store is supposed to go live today.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    I think the HP movie store is supposed to go live today.
    We hope. But it looks more likely that it would be an app or app update as opposed to an OS update OTA.
    Quote Originally Posted by pebacher View Post
    Wow, so negative. I have had my TP since July 1 and use it every day. Yes, there are some bugs and some gaps but I have been finding it to be an amazingly usable a productive tool. I use it for work (VPN works just fine, thx); email works great for me - Exchange and Gmail; great internet browsing; more apps every day. To each her/his own but for me the TP is GREAT!
    I haven't had a reason to use it at work. My job doesn't have Wi-Fi, but my husband borrows it and uses it often when he goes to meetings. He especially likes the multi-tasking and the ability to pull up sales data, customer information, and product info while he's in the meeting. Instead of shuffling through papers to find a line he says all the documents are on the page he left them on and he can tap on and move around within the documents when he needs to go to it.

I know it's sacrilege, but I've been trying to get him to try the iPad2 to see if it will work for him, because I hear it's faster and the multitasking doesn't matter if you can just as quickly open up another app.

He states that if he closes a document in iPad, it won't save his place. Each time he goes from document to document he'll be at the beginning of the document. Is that true or is he just wanting an excuse to use TP?
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Wow - lots of high profile ads for TPad in the Sunday paper here in St. Petersburg, FL. Best Buy, Office Depot, HH Gregg! Looks like a hardcore launch to me.
    I'm in St Pete, too ... maybe we should start a local users group.

I bought a paper this morning just to check out the TouchPad ads, and there sure are a lot of them. I also got emails from Best Buy and Amazon. Yes, Amazon is only $555 with free shipping, but then you have to wait for it to be shipped. If you go to Best Buy you can have it today. (Of course I ordered mine from HP on July 1.)

I was disappointed that the update and the Kindle app weren't released today, so this big "official" launch didn't mean anything to those of us who already have them.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Wow, so negative. I have had my TP since July 1 and use it every day. Yes, there are some bugs and some gaps but I have been finding it to be an amazingly usable a productive tool. I use it for work (VPN works just fine, thx); email works great for me - Exchange and Gmail; great internet browsing; more apps every day. To each her/his own but for me the TP is GREAT!
    nope i love the damn thing a lot but have to be realistic. i also own an acer iconia a500 and an ipad 2 and for now they have the edge on my touchpad. i had a pre and a pre plus and was part of that flash debacle and refused to buy a pre 3 or veer just for flash. we were promised flash and it was never delivered. i dont care for kindle and all that jazz i just want the damn thing stable thats all. my text keeps resizing and some disappear, it freezes and becomes non responsive at random times and i have had 2 double random reboots. not good i am afraid. do i stick with it or wait for promised OTA? how long with this original tablet be supported after its faster bigger brother 4g is released? big questions for me those. like most i love webos as it promises so much but just hasnt delivered. i keep expecting and to date not been fulfilled!
    HP seems to have partners lined up to treat today as the launch:

Worldwide Tech & Science: USA TODAY Launches HP webOS App for HP TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    He states that if he closes a document in iPad, it won't save his place. Each time he goes from document to document he'll be at the beginning of the document. Is that true or is he just wanting an excuse to use TP?
    That is true if the app he was using is not really created with multitasking or fast app switching in mind. This could also happen if he opened another app that required more memory and his previous app got deleted from memory.

ipad with fast app switching is not really a competitor to true multitasking as is available on Touchpad or Playbook. It is too cumbersome and unwieldy, I am never sure if I will ever get back to an app at the same place I last left it at. The same goes for Android tablets (although another app requiring more memory is not an issue with android tablets as they all have had 1 Gig of RAM instead of 256 for ipad1 and 512 for ipad2).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    I have seen plenty of touchpad commercials and all stores I have been to have them in stock. This stupid soft launch is really to sweep some of their shortcomings under the rug in hopes that a OTA will salvage their average reviews...
    That may be your experience, but it's not universal. There are five stores in my small suburb that have the TouchPad today - 2 Walmarts, BestBuy, Staples and Office Depot. Last weekend, the BestBuy was the only one of the five to have stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Honestly, I think I can speak for a lot of webos users... We just want some damn transparency.. Tell us it's not ready.. Tell us that the pre3 is/isn't coming it sprint...
    The problem with screaming for transparency is that there are so many that twist what they DO say, and/or claim they're lying. But, you knew that, right?
    threed61#WN, IGNTNUNLMTD and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The problem with screaming for transparency is that there are so many that twist what they DO say, and/or claim they're lying. But, you knew that, right?
    Yeah, absolutely agreed. Like all the haters, the people who scream for transparency are the ones who then scream "LIAR!" when HP/Palm have to legitimately change their plans for any number of reasons.

Oh, and on the topic of the "screw over early adopters because we can" thing... the $50 off the TouchPad was $50 more than they had to do for anyone. Case closed. They owe everyone nothing.

It's capitalism. If you don't like their policies, take your business elsewhere. Plain and simple. If you already have moved to another platform, we sure as hell don't want to hear about it, so save yourself the posts.
    Rnp likes this.
    July 17 has come and gone. Time to close this thread.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123