Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Funny, how the veer is still in a "soft launch" after they launched it, telling no one it was a soft launch, until <<mod delete>> reviews and not so good sales...
    The Veer is technically an AT@T phone built by HP. It's really up to ma bell to advertise the Veer.

Plus, I personally have seen more Veer advertising than iPhone advertising.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/17/2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: language in quoted text
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    The Veer is technically an AT@T phone built by HP. It's really up to ma bell to advertise the Veer.

Plus, I personally have seen more Veer advertising than iPhone advertising.
    True, but the iPhone really no longer needs advertising. Apple consumers are the best advertisers the company has. They don't say "Where's my phone", or "Let me get my laptop", they say "where's my iPhone" and "let me get my Mac". Apple products are now so iconic that they ARE the bar. And I don't think that any tech manufacturer will ever truly compete until they fully understand this point.

We've still yet to see ANY manufacturer or OS advertised in the intelligent way Apple does... Forget celebrities, forget humor. Show me the product being used in someone's hands in a real life scenario. KISS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    True, but the iPhone really no longer needs advertising.
    ? I've seen a ton of advertising for this product so Apple must think they need it.

There was room for Coke and Pepsi, Haagen Daz and Ben & Jerrys, Folgers and Sanka, and there will be room for webOS and iOS, each with their way of advertising.
    Rnp likes this.
    I have seen plenty of touchpad commercials and all stores I have been to have them in stock. This stupid soft launch is really to sweep some of their shortcomings under the rug in hopes that a OTA will salvage their average reviews.

Yes some reviewers said they want to see the kinks worked out but no one will do another full in depth review...

What if the reviews of the touchpad were awesome? What if the kindle app was ready? Duo think HP would try to even claim it was a soft launch? I bet you they would be chin up chest out cracking iPad jokes all day long

I want webos to succeed. Ruby's interview showed a dark side of him recently. What the hell is "bc we can" etc etc. We can screw early adopters because we can?

I hope Dewitt has what it takes. After 1 year of the HP buyout Ruby has not done anything note worthy. Pre3 is still Mia. TP is half baked. Veer still cannot TTS with the TP(which is a catastrophe in my eyes) no new form factors... 6 months after hp event and still not pre3 release.. Sprint being abandoned...

Things are not so pretty in HP land right now. Sure the TP is a great device when it works and webos kicks <<mod delete>> but let's face it.

There are more things wrong than they are right. I hope the tide can turn soon... I love webos too darned much
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/17/2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: language
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Wow - lots of high profile ads for TPad in the Sunday paper here in St. Petersburg, FL. Best Buy, Office Depot, HH Gregg! Looks like a hardcore launch to me.
    So, does this launch mean theyre putting out advertising and what not or are they also releasing the OTA update today as well?
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    disturbing reading but negative points are so true. This TP really does do some weird things and my list of bugs is endless. Will a software update really change my tainted initial 1st impressions? I think not so mine is going back. Being an owner of an ipad 2 as well I expected more from my TP. Yea some bugs are expected but so many and so random. Sorry that marketing strategy is flawed period. Not when the bar is so high with apple at the top.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    So, does this launch mean theyre putting out advertising and what not or are they also releasing the OTA update today as well?
    rumored to be an OTA today and at end of july as well. In uk and waiting as time zones difference
    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    disturbing reading but negative points are so true. This TP really does do some weird things and my list of bugs is endless. Will a software update really change my tainted initial 1st impressions? I think not so mine is going back. Being an owner of an ipad 2 as well I expected more from my TP. Yea some bugs are expected but so many and so random. Sorry that marketing strategy is flawed period. Not when the bar is so high with apple at the top.
    Ya, I've been replying from my ipad2 this whole thread... And it's nice but I just know webos can be that much better, but that's the problem. Potential doesn't mean jack if I can never use it....

Does anyone get the feeling that google, msft and specifically google wanst to see webos fail?
    What if the reviews of the touchpad were awesome? What if the kindle app was ready? Duo think HP would try to even claim it was a soft launch? I bet you they would be chin up chest out cracking iPad jokes all day long
    Yes, they would still claim it was a soft launch. This is SOP for HP. ALL of their products have a soft launch. They never do a "hard launch" until a few weeks after the release of the product. This is the way HP does things.

I want webos to succeed. Ruby's interview showed a dark side of him recently. What the hell is "bc we can" etc etc. We can screw early adopters because we can?
    Because unlike Apple who has to spend all year working on the next version of a product, HP has the resources to release the next version of the product in a few months. And then a few months after that, etc. HP does incremental updates. Only Apple makes you use year old tech before finally updating the product. Magical? Well, compared to what they released a year ago, sure. HP, on the other hand has had five new versions since then.

I hope Dewitt has what it takes. After 1 year of the HP buyout Ruby has not done anything note worthy. Pre3 is still Mia. TP is half baked. Veer still cannot TTS with the TP(which is a catastrophe in my eyes) no new form factors... 6 months after hp event and still not pre3 release.. Sprint being abandoned...
    Dewitt is almost single handedly responsible for HP's consumer line dominating the market. HP is THE printer manufacturer. HP leads the market in PC sales.

HP has been saying there have been no merger hiccups. I think the one they did have was getting Palm to move toward HP's relese schedule. I think that's why Dewitt has moved over. They need his expertise to get Palm pushing out new products every month. Not a month goes by between HP PC releases. The long term goal is to do the same with webOS.
    lukehale likes this.
    rumored to be an OTA today and at end of july as well. In uk and waiting as time zones difference
    No OTA today per Dewitt and ruby... Bradly said so on cnbc last week but that has been confirmed a no go by the other to. They said they 'hope' to have it by the end of them month, and I expect they will
    I have seen plenty of touchpad commercials and all stores I have been to have them in stock. This stupid soft launch is really to sweep some of their shortcomings under the rug in hopes that a OTA will salvage their average reviews...

Yes some reviewers said they want to see the kinks worked out but no one will do another full in depth review...

I hope Dewitt has what it takes. After 1 year of the HP buyout Ruby has not done anything note worthy. Pre3 is still Mia. TP is half baked. Veer still cannot TTS with the TP(which is a catastrophe in my eyes)...
    Go to the beach and enjoy the summer weekend and cheer up.

We had inklings from tips given to the blogs last month that some retailers would get early exclusive on TouchPad (soft launch) with Office Max and the others getting the TouchPad and ability to do full inserts on the 17th; that said, I'm sure the soft launch was not supposed to be a launch of a buggy product, it was rather probably to build quiet momentum for the full press. DeWitt admitted to Topolsky that were "stumbles and bumbles."

The OTA is coming soon and webOS Internals has just gotten Open Office to work on the TouchPad. You don't know there will be no more reviews of the products. I would guess that most press will take a good look again once the OTA comes out with Kindle and the rest of it--HP is the largest computer manufacturer and so gets a lot of press coverage.

TTS still needs to be given more meat on its bones than URLs (which Neato! can do) so no catastrophe if it waits a little bit.

The Palm folks probably have their hands full fixing TouchPad so Pre3 is probably waiting in the wings. This is not great and multiple dev platforms not great either to spur dev interest. My guess is to look for a phone product later in the year, this time hopefully with a more robust TouchPad software and hardware driving more interest in webOS and "convergence" distantly seen on the horizon.
    Honestly, I think I can speak for a lot of webos users... We just want some damn transparency.. Tell us it's not ready.. Tell us that the pre3 is/isn't coming it sprint...

You know what else, I see the touchpad being sold like a PC... You can configure it the way you want in some aspects such as the CPU so HP can make a little more money... Just like how u can configure a PC online. It would be a cool idea but then again, how would this affect devs? How will an app that's writin for the 1.2 run on the 1.5 or how will an app written for 1.5 be stable on 1.2?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Yes, they would still claim it was a soft launch. This is SOP for HP. ALL of their products have a soft launch. They never do a "hard launch" until a few weeks after the release of the product. This is the way HP does things.

Because unlike Apple who has to spend all year working on the next version of a product, HP has the resources to release the next version of the product in a few months. And then a few months after that, etc. HP does incremental updates. Only Apple makes you use year old tech before finally updating the product. Magical? Well, compared to what they released a year ago, sure. HP, on the other hand has had five new versions since then.

Dewitt is almost single handedly responsible for HP's consumer line dominating the market. HP is THE printer manufacturer. HP leads the market in PC sales.

HP has been saying there have been no merger hiccups. I think the one they did have was getting Palm to move toward HP's relese schedule. I think that's why Dewitt has moved over. They need his expertise to get Palm pushing out new products every month. Not a month goes by between HP PC releases. The long term goal is to do the same with webOS.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Seems like today is the REAL launch indeed. Just received an email from Amazon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Seems like today is the REAL launch indeed. Just received an email from Amazon.
    I got one from BestBuy online, with the price (back up?) to $599
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I got one from BestBuy online, with the price (back up?) to $599
    Whoa!!! Amazon now has it listed at $555!!! 7% off!
    NNJ
    I haven't seen anything that indicates that there will be 2 OTAs. DeWitt said that he wanted to get apps such as Kindle out as well as an OTA by the end of the month.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Wow, so negative. I have had my TP since July 1 and use it every day. Yes, there are some bugs and some gaps but I have been finding it to be an amazingly usable a productive tool. I use it for work (VPN works just fine, thx); email works great for me - Exchange and Gmail; great internet browsing; more apps every day. To each her/his own but for me the TP is GREAT!
    know what else, I see the touchpad being sold like a PC... You can configure it the way you want in some aspects such as the CPU so HP can make a little more money... Just like how u can configure a PC online. It would be a cool idea but then again, how would this affect devs? How will an app that's writin for the 1.2 run on the 1.5 or how will an app written for 1.5 be stable on 1.2?
    Because i think they are taking a "Windows" approach to webOS. So unlike iOS that is being designed for limited builds, webOS is being designed for custom builds. The same way MS Office works on any computer regardless of build, think the same will ultimately be true of webOS.
    Last edited by bobsentell; 07/17/2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: still getting used to TP keyboard
    I have seen plenty of touchpad commercials and all stores I have been to have them in stock. This stupid soft launch is really to sweep some of their shortcomings under the rug in hopes that a OTA will salvage their average reviews.

Things are not so pretty in HP land right now. Sure the TP is a great device when it works and webos kicks <<mod delete>> but let's face it.

There are more things wrong than they are right. I hope the tide can turn soon... I love webos too darned much
    All the stores? in stock? Where do you live? I might move there! There are no stores that even have a display here in lee county al. I've been all over looking. BestBuy = no display or stock, walmart = same thing, Sams = nope, Target, radio shack... nothing.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Rnp likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast