Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    I think I screwed up my touchpad. I tried to load the jVault db and TP rebooted and lost all apps and configurations I had downloaded and none of the original apps would run. I did a manual backup just before attempting the jVault db install. JVault transferred over from my Palm Pre profile, so I was hoping to get it functioning on the TP. In a panic I wanted to do a recovery. I downloaded the current version of Doctor and started it. First time running Doctor it got to 12% and then quit saying it couldn't finish the process. Restarted a second time and at about 12% I heard the da-dunk da-dink from my computer (not sure if same occurred the first time) that tells me something disconnected and connected. The doctor never moved beyond 12%. Couple hours later I stopped the process and restarted it. Doctor quickly connected and proceeded up to the 12% point and just sits there.

Is there any hope to fix this mess I have made? It's not quite a brick, but it is stuck in doctor mode and/or USB mode. When I stopped the process the TP screen stayed with "HP" in a circle and a large white arrow pointing to a CPU chip. Wouldn't respond to shut down methods I could find. Power - vol up, Power - center button. Power - vol up - center button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead View Post
    I think I screwed up my touchpad. I tried to load the jVault db and TP rebooted and lost all apps and configurations I had downloaded and none of the original apps would run. I did a manual backup just before attempting the jVault db install. JVault transferred over from my Palm Pre profile, so I was hoping to get it functioning on the TP. In a panic I wanted to do a recovery. I downloaded the current version of Doctor and started it. First time running Doctor it got to 12% and then quit saying it couldn't finish the process. Restarted a second time and at about 12% I heard the da-dunk da-dink from my computer (not sure if same occurred the first time) that tells me something disconnected and connected. The doctor never moved beyond 12%. Couple hours later I stopped the process and restarted it. Doctor quickly connected and proceeded up to the 12% point and just sits there.

Is there any hope to fix this mess I have made? It's not quite a brick, but it is stuck in doctor mode and/or USB mode. When I stopped the process the TP screen stayed with "HP" in a circle and a large white arrow pointing to a CPU chip. Wouldn't respond to shut down methods I could find. Power - vol up, Power - center button. Power - vol up - center button.
    Run the doctor on the command line instead of double-clicking it.

java -jar <doctor-file>

Then you will get copious amounts of information about what exactly it is doing. Post that information here. Once we have that, the solution is usually trivial.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I keep asking where are the instructions to install PreWare and patches and nobody responds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gianny View Post
    I keep asking where are the instructions to install PreWare and patches and nobody responds.
    Post #17 in this thread points you to the Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the official app catalog.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Ok. Log says battery is at 17% charge. Then a bit later says the battery charge failed? What's up with that. Is it telling me that the .5 amp from the USB port can't keep up with static USB screen display? Started this with a full charge and spent most of the last eight hours plugged into computer.

Here is the relevant part of the log:
    INFO: Started:Battery Charger Stage
    17Jul 18, 2011 8:20:45 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger co
    mmentOnJob
    INFO: Battery:Battery at 17%
    Jul 18, 2011 8:20:45 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger comm
    entOnJob
    INFO: Battery:Battery Charging Started
    Jul 18, 2011 8:20:45 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger comm
    entOnJob
    INFO: Battery:Charging to Sufficient Power (25%), this may take a couple of minu
    tes
    Jul 18, 2011 8:20:51 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger comm
    entOnJob
    INFO: Batteryower charged up
    Jul 18, 2011 8:20:51 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger comm
    entOnJob
    INFO: Battery:Battery Charging Started
    entOnJob
    INFO: Battery:Charging to Sufficient Power (25%), this may take a couple of minu
    tes
    Jul 18, 2011 8:20:52 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController batt
    eryChargingFinished
    WARNING: Battery Charge Failure:
    err -107 "Device has been disconnected. Command: run file://"
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.sendCommand(NovacomDevice.jav
    a:130)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.issueCommand(NovacomDevice.ja
    va:162)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomDevice.runProgram(NovacomDevice.java
    :231)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.ChargeBatteryStage.chargeBattery(
    ChargeBatteryStage.java:37)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.ChargeBatteryStage.run(ChargeBatt
    eryStage.java:126)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.BatteryCharger.run(BatteryCharge
    r.java:53)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Jul 18, 2011 8:20:52 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController batt
    eryChargingFinished
    INFO: Battery Charging End time (Fail) 1310995252657
    Jul 18, 2011 8:20:52 AM com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
    INFO: from C:\Users\Curtis\AppData\Local\Temp\PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog1.log.0
    Charge it to 100% first using the wall charger.

-- Rod
    How will I know when it is 100%? All I have on the screen is the white triangle with an exclamation point in it. Is there a known period of time to achieve a full charge?
    PM sent with Dr. log running for 1 hour 40 minutes. Appears hung up on resize Fat.
    Have you showed that log to Palm Support yet?

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Have you showed that log to Palm Support yet?

-- Rod
    No. How do I do that? Phone Call?
    PM sent with Dr. log running for 1 hour 40 minutes. Appears hung up on resize Fat.
    FAT as filesystem?
    Unless you're doing something with meta-doctor, there should be no reason why it's running resizefat. That points towards a corrupted flash filesystem on your device. Hence the advice to talk to Palm support (there should be details of how to do that in the packaging your device came in, or the email you got when you created your palm profile, or talk to HardBeatZ here.

-- Rod
    Rod, sorry, but what filesystem is used for flash? FAT? No ext4, ext2 or at least rfs?
    Called HP Tech support. Went thru process of running .jnlp WebOS Doctor file from HP web site. It hung at 12% as I told them it would. They suggested trying to exchange at the store (WalMart) or call back and arrange either Advanced Exchange or send mine in for repair. Web site says in stock at local store.

I have not touched meta-doctor, so corrupt flash filesystem seems likely. I'll not repeat trying to install db file until application is updated.

Thanks for the advice and help.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Rod, sorry, but what filesystem is used for flash? FAT? No ext4, ext2 or at least rfs?
    Correct. The partition which stores the USB drive contents is vfat.

-- Rod
    Back with new HP TouchPad. Recovering most everything from backup I made before I messed up 17 Hours ago.
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I believe my TP is now bricked. I tried to play Angry Birds last night before going to bed. I opened AB, but it crashed/closed before I got to play. So I opened it again, lasted a little longer but crashed/closed again. Third time, same thing.

So, being a non-techie that has grown up with Windows, I had a Pavlovian response of rebooting the machine. I powered the TP off. Now it won't power up.

Any recommendations?
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBigE View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread because I believe my TP is now bricked. I tried to play Angry Birds last night before going to bed. I opened AB, but it crashed/closed before I got to play. So I opened it again, lasted a little longer but crashed/closed again. Third time, same thing.

So, being a non-techie that has grown up with Windows, I had a Pavlovian response of rebooting the machine. I powered the TP off. Now it won't power up.

Any recommendations?
    How long have you left it charging directly from the touchpad-specific wall charger without touching it?

-- Rod
    How long have you left it charging directly from the touchpad-specific wall charger without touching it?

-- Rod
    Exactly zero minutes. I'll go hook it up for a bit and report back. I did leave it on the Touchstone for an hour this morning with no effect.

Off to plug it in. Thanks for the quick response.

-- Rod
    I forgot to ask. How long should I leave the TP charging without touching it?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast