• 1 Post By ericblackdv
  • 4 Post By vza33
  • 1 Post By doctj
  • 4 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By estebancam
  • 2 Post By ag95keri
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Once upon a time I was an Apple fan. I had my ipod, and my Macbook, and the only thing that really kept me from buying an iPhone was my need for a more business orientated phone, which led me to Blackberry.

My boyfriend, on the other hand, has been in love with WebOS for as long as I've known him. I never really 'got it'. Until he bought me a Touchpad. Now I'm hooked.

WebOS is by far the best operating system I have ever laid hands on. And the Touchpad is just amazing.

I've heard complaints that it's heavy, but to be honest I haven't found that (and I'm pretty scrawny). It feels solid. I actually like the weight better than some of the smaller tablets out there.

Gestures are incredibly fun. I love that I can just swipe away an application. I know the Playbook had the same idea (which I believe they swiped from Palm/HP) but it's just not the same. I know that gestures aren't new to the OS, but with it being my first WebOS device it's still a novelty for me :P I already find myself trying to swipe things away on my non-WebOS smartphone touchscreen lol.

I've seen some complaints on here about the app catalogue. That there aren't enough apps. To be honest, I would rather see quality over quantity any day. And I don't personally expect a full app catalogue upon release of a device. I've found apps for everything I need, and I've been very impressed with how well the apps I've downloaded so far have worked on the Touchpad. So far I have zero complaints, but I am counting on the app catalogue to grow over the next few months. If I didn't, well maybe then I'll have some complaints

I also saw some complaints about lag but to be honest I can't complain. There's been once or twice where there has been a split second of lag for me, but I haven't found it very noticeable. Is the iPad a little smoother? Perhaps, but they've also had a lot longer to perfect things like that. I'm confident that some updates will help fix any of the small lags I've seen when I've used certain apps (it could also be a problem with the apps) and even if it doesn't-it's not a deal breaker for me. My Blackberry is even worse for it and I don't even notice it anymore. In fact, if I hadn't of seen reviews complaining about lag I doubt I would have even noticed it.

I love that that the keyboard is an adjustable size, and from what I've seen this is fairly unique. It's already been super handy for me-I like the larger keyboards when I'm using it to do a lot of writing.

The email on this thing is great-way more user friendly than most email apps I've seen out there so far. And I'm pretty convinced that their FB app is actually the best one out there-especially after living through the sad excuse of the FB app for Blackberry.

The sound quality also impresses me. I like to stream radio while I work, and was expecting to have to buy external speakers or use headphones, but the sound quality is actually really solid on this tablet.

And another novelty for me that I'm sure most of you are already used to is the touchstone. I'm super impressed that I can just drop my touchpad on the charging dock, and no wires are required. It's definitely the way the tech world is moving-wires are so inconvenient.

Oh and "Just Type" is such a simple feature that makes life so much easier-again, nothing new for WebOS veterans but a novelty for me nonetheless.

Overall I'm super impressed with this tablet, and with WebOS in general. Within 24 hours of having my first WebOS device, I've already decided I'm going to ditch my Blackberry and pick myself up a Pre3 when it's released
    Nice write-up. I love webOS, too, and will switch to the Pre3 when it comes out. I'm counting on HP to release frequent and quality OTA updates, though. Palm was natoriously slow with those. I've been stuck on the Sprint pre- with no updates (mostly because Sprint stopped supporting it a year ago).

Anyway, Touchpad has been overall nice for me so far. Waiting eagerly for the OTA and more apps this month.
    specialshi likes this.
    Welcome to Precentral and the world of webOS. It's great to hear that you are enjoying your Touchpad. You have found the best community to stay abreast of what going on in the webOS ecosphere and to get any assistance you may need.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Welcome to webOS. The touchpad is an excellent display of the joys of this OS. I've been using webOS for a year and 3.0 feels so refreshing nonetheless. Hopefully HP will address the performance issues and the full potential will be unleashed.
    specialshi likes this.
    Welcome... And let me just say that a boyfriend that spends for a TouchPad is a keeper...
    Welcome to the world of webOS. It's the best mobile OS out there, for sure. Make sure you stick around here at PreCentral, too. Good luck!
    Welcome, I have only been on this forum for about a month and I've never been more involved in a forum, there are some really cool people here and we can all relate about WebOS!
    welcome! Nice intro post!
    I see pandas.
    Welcome to the best community of webos fanatics, and general fanatics, on the internet. The people here are so great, after a few months you will feel like you have friends in distant places.

Glad you are enjoying your tablet. You will enjoy the phones just as much. :-)
    vza33 likes this.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Great review! I'm new to webOS also but loving my TouchPad so far. I've been a longtime Treo user but never had a webOS device until my TouchPad.

Quote Originally Posted by specialshi View Post
    I've heard complaints that it's heavy, but to be honest I haven't found that (and I'm pretty scrawny). It feels solid. I actually like the weight better than some of the smaller tablets out there.
    I'm a scrawny chick, too, and I can't say that the weight bothers me either.

I already find myself trying to swipe things away on my non-WebOS smartphone touchscreen lol.
    I've done that a few times on my Windows Mobile phone, too. I have to keep reminding myself that I'll have the Pre3 soon enough.

I would rather see quality over quantity any day. And I don't personally expect a full app catalogue upon release of a device. I've found apps for everything I need, and I've been very impressed with how well the apps I've downloaded so far have worked on the Touchpad. So far I have zero complaints, but I am counting on the app catalogue to grow over the next few months. If I didn't, well maybe then I'll have some complaints
    I can't say that I've found apps for everything I need, but I'm also counting on the catalog to grow ... hopefully quickly. Everytime I come across an app that I want but isn't there, I submit an enhancement request to the vendor. Roboform, Nook, Netflix, WebEx and Audible.com are just a few of those I've contacted. Some have already responded that they're working on it. Hopefully, all the webOS users are contacting their favorite vendors so that they will be inundated with requests to support us.

if I hadn't of seen reviews complaining about lag I doubt I would have even noticed it.
    Completely agree ... I barely noticed it until I read about. Of course, now it annoys me, but hopefully it will be better after the update.

the sound quality is actually really solid on this tablet.
    Absolutely! It's better than the sound on either of my laptops.

I'm super impressed that I can just drop my touchpad on the charging dock, and no wires are required.
    I thought that was pretty cool, but what really impressed me is that it charges THROUGH the case.

Overall I'm super impressed with this tablet, and with WebOS in general. Within 24 hours of having my first WebOS device, I've already decided I'm going to ditch my Blackberry and pick myself up a Pre3 when it's released
    Ditto ... except that I'll be getting rid of my Windows Mobile 6.5 device, and it seems just in time, too. WM7 seems to be imitating the iPhone, and my understanding is that it lost a lot of the productivity features that made my device valuable to me as a heavy user for business purposes. I tried the iPhone when it first came out and gave it up after a month. It just wasn't good for typing lengthy emails. Yeah, the photo/video and other consumer features were cool, but productivity features were more important to me. So far, the TouchPad seems to have both. On-screen typing is easy because the keyboard is so big, and the Pre3 will still have a keypad.

My only real complaint is that Wi-Fi on the TouchPad doesn't support ad-hoc (so I can use my current phone as an access point). I know I'll be able to use my Pre3 for access when it finally comes out, but right now my TouchPad is essentially useless when I leave my house.

I see the Pre3 is available in Europe already, but with webOS 2.2. Everyday I keep hoping for the announcement of the availability date here for the Pre3 with webOS 3. When they finally announce the date, it will still be 30 days before I'll have it in my hands. Hurry HP!!
    nyquistjack and specialshi like this.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Welcome... And let me just say that a boyfriend that spends for a TouchPad is a keeper...
    Haha yeah I agree, it was a nice surprise to come home to