• 3 Post By brentdowney
  • 2 Post By blinktreo
  • 1 Post By specialshi
  • 2 Post By FenrirWolf
  • 2 Post By blinktreo
  • 7 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 2 Post By kjb86
  1.    #1  
    Got my touchpad yesterday and set it up at work. I work at an e-learning company... lots of macbook and iPad fans <<mod edit>> hanging around.
    We have a webOS developer in house as well. One fan <<mod edit>> in particular seen my new shiny device and ran over to me all excited and giggling like a little school girl. I gave him a demo and blew him away.... he was making comments like man this sooooo <<mod delete>> sexy.... proceeded to run upstairs to get the webOS developer to come down and look at it and try it out.

It was flattering to finally have a webOS device handed to a fan <<mod delete>> and get a reaction like that. Everyone in the office was blown away by all the features etc.

cheers
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/16/2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: language
    lol nice

thou I have to laugh (not at you or anyone!) but how people now get 'flattered' by people enjoying or getting excited about what device people own. Everything is a fashion statement now lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    lol nice

thou I have to laugh (not at you or anyone!) but how people now get 'flattered' by people enjoying or getting excited about what device people own. Everything is a fashion statement now lol
    Well, after plunking down 5 or 6 hundred bucks, it's nice to have some affirmation that you made a good decision..
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Well, after plunking down 5 or 6 hundred bucks, it's nice to have some affirmation that you made a good decision..
    <<staff edit>>
    I work hard for my money, and I take the time to read reviews and shop around. I find what's best for *me*.
    I don't need coworkers or friends or random people praising my choice to make me feel good about it...likewise if people want to criticize the choice I made I'm not suddenly going to regret it.

The affirmation for me is when it does everything I thought it would based on the research I did prior to buying it.

I do get the point about tablets and gadgets being like fashion trends. At my work most of my coworkers are obsessed with Apple-I mean, it's one thing to love a product, but they're full out obsessed-they walk, talk and breathe Apple. If you show up to the office with an Apple product you're the most popular person in the office for the day and it's like you somehow 'belong to the club'. Considering my line of work has absolutely nothing to do with anything remotely tech-related, I never really understood it myself.

Some days it feels like high school all over again, where your popularity in the office is determined by the brand of tablet/mp3 player/phone etc that you show up with.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: unnecessary comment
    nyallj likes this.
    It's more like it's nice to see other people appreciate webos since we have a really solid device to show it off with now.
    jetsetter883 and k4ever like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by specialshi View Post
    <<staff edit>>
    I work hard for my money, and I take the time to read reviews and shop around. I find what's best for *me*.
    I don't need coworkers or friends or random people praising my choice to make me feel good about it...likewise if people want to criticize the choice I made I'm not suddenly going to regret it.
    So, you've never bought an awesome new car, and driven it to a friend/relative's house to show it off?

Never bought a big TV or home entertainment system and had friends over?

I find that hard to believe. But, maybe you like to keep your new gear purchases to yourself and cackle secretly in your lair.. =)
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2011 at 02:35 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
    LordSecksie and echan228 like this.
    The point of the thread is that Apple users are impressed with the TouchPad, not that the OP has identity issues that require affirmation from his peers...

And I'm glad that the Apple users were impressed.
    +1

So, you've never bought an awesome new car, and driven it to a friend/relative's house to show it off?

I find that hard to believe. But, maybe you like to keep your new gear purchases to yourself and cackle secretly in your lair.. =)
    graylion

Warning bubble bursting in progress!

<<staff edit>>

The affirmation for me is when it does everything I thought it would based on the research I did prior to buying it.

I do get the point about tablets and gadgets being like fashion trends. At my work most of my coworkers are obsessed with Apple-I mean, it's one thing to love a product, but they're full out obsessed-they walk, talk and breathe Apple. If you show up to the office with an Apple product you're the most popular person in the office for the day and it's like you somehow 'belong to the club'. Considering my line of work has absolutely nothing to do with anything remotely tech-related, I never really understood it myself.

Some days it feels like high school all over again, where your popularity in the office is determined by the brand of tablet/mp3 player/phone etc that you show up with.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
    graylion
    <<staff edit>>

meh, if people actively criticize your choice you might subconsciously be on the lookout for things that are wrong with it. even if you're not, it's still nice when others can appreciate your own unique personal tastes.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/17/2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: edited quoted text
  11.    #11  
    Nah, I certainly don't affirmation of my new toy. I know how cool it is. He did end up saying it was a powerful OS and said he would switch soon if Apple don't get their stuff together.... but switch to android if they don't. LOL. He said that to try and make me feel like I was inferior.

HA!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brentdowney View Post
    I gave him a demo and blew him away....

Everyone in the office was blown away by all the features etc.
    I'm curious, what demos did you do that had the greatest impact?
    I show the email panels, synergy for searching, quickactions, and a trip to precentral.net.

unfortunately the store displays don't have access to the app catalog (which is a major mistake) so on mine I focus on apps such as facebook, usaToday, cbs sports, spaz HD, and the app catalog - including Pivot.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Lol actually when I bought my new car the only person who saw it was my mom, because she gave me a ride to the dealership. Of course people noticed it when I showed up at work with it, but you cant really help that.

I'm not really one to brag about what I buy or show off my stuff, but my parents raised me with good old fashioned values-nobody likes a bragger

There's nothing wrong with people liking what you have, I was pointing out that it's sad if you *need* that affirmation from others to feel good about what you have. There is a difference... :-)
    I used mine in a training meeting for a couple of workers for a new client on Friday. I used the Box.net app to pull a .pdf presentation for them. I was going through each page and set the TouchPad down in front of them and one of the workers immediately picked it up and turned it over to see what brand it was. She said it was so cool that she thought it was a (insert name you expect here) and started asking questions about it. I explained what it was and took it to card view showing her all the open and live apps I had running and how easy I could move and switch between stuff I needed for their presentation.

The next think I know the woman I'm talking to is looking up behind me at some old company head who just rolled his eyes and walked away to his office - with his iPad tucked under his arm. He looked like I just insulted his wife, or asked him if his Mercedes was a Hundai or something. His reaction was priceless.

So, yeah... whether people want to believe it or not... almost everyone takes it as a personally in some way when they invest in something.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post

So, yeah... whether people want to believe it or not... almost everyone takes it as a personally in some way when they invest in something.
    I agree with you there. A lot of people do. I know a heck of a lot of people that fall into that category.

But at the end of the day it's just *stuff*. And people judging people on what brand of tablet, or phone, or car, etc that someone else has is just so superficial.

I've never judged someone based on what name brand they chose-whatever works for them, works for them. At the end of the day it has zero impact on my life, and likewise any 'friend' that is going to criticize a private purchase that I've made isn't much of a friend

I think there's bigger problems in life to worry about than comparing who has what brand of whatever product, and judging people on their personal preferences, but that would be in an ideal world...

The TP really is great though and good attention is always a good thing from a marketing perspective
    this is the way I look at it.

word of mouth is a good thing. We as users of webos need to sell it out there. Thats what android users did.

but at the end of the day don't be offended if someone didnt agree or approve of what you have. Its just a toy.

not everyone is going to like the same thing in life. For every 10 people if you get 1 interested you're doing well. For every 100 if 10 people buy you're doing well.
    specialshi and k4ever like this.
    $470 Tax in actually.
    There's nothing wrong with people liking what you have, I was pointing out that it's sad if you *need* that affirmation from others to feel good about what you have. There is a difference... :-)
    Okay, I get that.

There's also the dimension, which you may not have considered, of buying something that just blows you away, and wanting to share your new knowledge! =)

Do agree with the "just as a fashion statement" diss though. Folks have many reasons for buying stuff (and in this economy, they should find more. Please - consume more, our country depends on it), but I'm not a person that gets the device with the highest megapixels, or a cool 3d display, or whatever cool app can wow folks at parties. My phone, my tab, should do what I want it to do.

I'm sure some contractors will show up and tell their co-workers "here's a 200-dollar hammer I just bought from a foundry in Switzerland. It can break diamond!" (somewhat Onionized). But in reality, contractors go to work with their tools, and it's not really about the newest and best, it's about the tool.

Palm and HP are nurturing awesome tools.

(btw - went in and saw a 3d phone today. My reaction was "how do I check my email?")