1.    #1  
    Hey all, I'm more than likely going to buy a Touchpad this weekend after I get my hands on a demo one here in the UK but am having a bit of a dilemma. Do I buy the 16GB version (cheaper) or go for the 32GB hoping that HP will offer the same sort of rebate to us as they have to the early adopters in the US? I don't really need the extra storage but if I end up paying only a little more for it then I'd be tempted

Thanks
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Probably not, since you're not stuck to Sprint over there.
    NNJ
  3.    #3  
    Nah we're stuck to O2 UK instead
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    OH! My bad, I apologise. Thought phones were usually SIM free over there.
    Last edited by nyallj; 07/16/2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: mistype
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Probably not, since you're not stuck to Sprint over there.
    There are a lot of other early adopters that are stuck on WebOS 4.5.1 or less other than Sprint Pre- users. Anyone with a Pre Plus, Pixi or less has a phone that is at the EOL of Palm WebOS. The “Make it right” offer should give all users of early generation WebOS smartphones a chance upgrade their phones to an HP WebOS phone so they can move on with the operating system. Giving early adopters a rebate on a TouchPad is not going to help them with a dead end phone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    There are a lot of other early adopters that are stuck on WebOS 4.5.1 or less other than Sprint Pre- users. Anyone with a Pre Plus, Pixi or less has a phone that is at the EOL of Palm WebOS. The “Make it right” offer should give all users of early generation WebOS smartphones a chance upgrade their phones to an HP WebOS phone so they can move on with the operating system. Giving early adopters a rebate on a TouchPad is not going to help them with a dead end phone.
    webOS 1.4.5.1.
    IMHO, HP doesn't owe anybody anything. I can't understand people buying a phone and couple of years down the line believing they deserve something off a new model phone/OS just because they got in on the first of line.
    If that is the case, why stop at that? Why not extend it to those (like me) who had the Treo 650, just because Palm stopped with the PalmOS and brought out webOS? Or to those with the Treo Pro (like me again), which won't upgrade to WP7 from WP6?
    All credit to HP for offering a discount (on any product) just because of your old phone. They didn't even need to do that.
    NNJ
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts

You can get most devices sim free in the UK, however for economic reasons, the vast majority of devices sold are sim-locked and carrier branded.
    no carriers offer and HP/Palm device at the moment in the UK. If you want a new device your only choice is to go SIM free and pay full price up front.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    no carriers offer and HP/Palm device at the moment in the UK. If you want a new device your only choice is to go SIM free and pay full price up front.
    I know PC world are carrying it but are any of the normal mobile retailers (CPW, Phones4u etc) planning to have it - I haven't seen any indication of it in the "up-coming" brochures?
    In Germany they usually are.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    I meant phones not tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I know PC world are carrying it but are any of the normal mobile retailers (CPW, Phones4u etc) planning to have it - I haven't seen any indication of it in the "up-coming" brochures?
    Dixons, Currys, Carphone warehouse, Tesco's and Argos all have them available online, just don't know how many of those will also have it available in store.
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I really wish I didnt know Tesco stocked it. What with £10 off ( anything over £100 on Tesco direct) plus my staff discount I am having trouble not placing my order now. ;-)