Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    A lot of recent interviews with key HP people have noted that the 'official' launch date for the touchpad is tomorrow, July the 17th which is a Sunday.

I'm curious why that is - nothing in the UK launches at a weekend - Do Americans shop more on a sunday? Some other social/economic/marketing reason?

In addition, what is actually happening tomorrow in regards to this launch?
    More funny...in Germany, everything has closed on sunday.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    More funny...in Germany, everything has closed on sunday.
    I think the 17th is the date for the North America push and other markets will get something a bit later.
    I was thinking the same thing. Has anyone seen any German advertisement yet? I expected MediaMarkt or Saturn to be all over this, but so far nothing.
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Quote Originally Posted by de_great View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Has anyone seen any German advertisement yet? I expected MediaMarkt or Saturn to be all over this, but so far nothing.
    My local Mediamarkt told me, that the devices are ordered and scheduled to arrive next week.

I think they will start the push in Germany somewhere from next week.

In my opinion it's better the longer it takes, because then the time until the update feels shorter for users.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    the real reason is because HP said so!
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Anyone know when the official launch is in the UK? I see some posters mentioning that the TP is on sale at PC world but I've seen no adverts or advertising for it.
    TP already had an ad in metro uk.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    As an American trapped working retail at the moment I believe I can answer your question. Weekends are bigger shopping days, and prices tend to change on Sunday - which is also the day ads/flyers for sales are made public.

I was honestly confused as to why the touchpad released here on a friday! A soft launch *almost* makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    A lot of recent interviews with key HP people have noted that the 'official' launch date for the touchpad is tomorrow, July the 17th which is a Sunday.

I'm curious why that is - nothing in the UK launches at a weekend - Do Americans shop more on a sunday? Some other social/economic/marketing reason?

In addition, what is actually happening tomorrow in regards to this launch?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Anyone know when the official launch is in the UK? I see some posters mentioning that the TP is on sale at PC world but I've seen no adverts or advertising for it.
    I think the dates are vague because it's a soft launch. I was told the 15th and it was certainly available to buy in a number of retailers on the 15th. Although accessories aren't expected for a few more days.
    Quote Originally Posted by thawkth View Post
    As an American trapped working retail at the moment I believe I can answer your question. Weekends are bigger shopping days, and prices tend to change on Sunday - which is also the day ads/flyers for sales are made public.

I was honestly confused as to why the touchpad released here on a friday! A soft launch *almost* makes sense!
    thawkth,

Does the Sunday church crowd hit the stores after they eat lunch? I know that everywhere I've lived in the States the restaurants are besieged by church patrons after Sunday service. It would make since that they would hit the stores too.

I usually do all my electronic shopping on a Saturday and grocery shopping on Sunday (at Walmart). Maybe they are trying to get the Walmart crowd?
    Sunday for a good chunk of Americans:
    • Breakfast (while flipping through the newspaper flyers)
    • Church
    • Lunch (either out or at home while flipping through the newspaper flyers)
    • Shopping or nap or NASCAR/Football (depending on the sale and/or season)
    • Dinner

Basically, since the ciruclars come out on Sunday, it makes sense to release your product on Sunday. Even if someone isn't going shopping, they will see your product on the front of every CE circular in the paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by db3.uk View Post
    I think the dates are vague because it's a soft launch. I was told the 15th and it was certainly available to buy in a number of retailers on the 15th. Although accessories aren't expected for a few more days.
    PCWorld states ithe TP is available for delivery or to pick up in store now - HP TouchPad Tablet PC - 16GB at cheap prices | PC World
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Sunday for a good chunk of Americans:
    • Breakfast (while flipping through the newspaper flyers)
    • Church
    • Lunch (either out or at home while flipping through the newspaper flyers)
    • Shopping or nap or NASCAR/Football (depending on the sale and/or season)
    • Dinner

Basically, since the ciruclars come out on Sunday, it makes sense to release your product on Sunday. Even if someone isn't going shopping, they will see your product on the front of every CE circular in the paper.
    That's it right there.
    A better question (for us in the states at least) why is the "official" launch after the actual launch?
    I saw a Touchpad commercial last night on the USA channel. I'm guessing since a lot of people watch tv on Sunday, HP figures to start the commercial barrage on that day.
    The commercial wasn't bad btw.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    A better question (for us in the states at least) why is the "official" launch after the actual launch?
    I think that is the million dollar question. Why release a product without an update you knew it needed and without the advertisement that you knew it deserved? If this was to get it into the hands of enthusiast that should have been mentioned up front.
    well HP probably wanted to wait till it was in other markets as well like here in canada and a few places in europe.

also release it first to gather some info for what the market feel is like. They are also releasing the update, advertising, their boot camps, stock levels etc.

moral of the story it didnt hurt HP at all for doing a soft launch. Ans no they are not obligated to tell people it was or was going to be a soft launch
    AfaikAfaikAfaik $the$ $week$ $does$ $not$ $start$ $with$ $monday$ $but$ $with$ $sunday$ $in$ $the$ $US$ $of$ $A$. $At$ $least$ $I$ $remember$ $a$ $teacher$ $telling$ $me$ $something$ $of$ $this$ $kind$, $due$ $to$ $a$ &$quot$;$mistake$&$quot$; $I$ $was$ $having$ $using$ $Excel$.

Yes, you can easily tell if it's sunday in Germany... Nobody is doing anything xD It's even worse in Bavaria. Here/There, you can't even eat a Döner on sundays!

Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by de.wikipedia.org
    Nach jüdischer, christlicher und islamischer Tradition beginnt die Woche mit dem Sonntag. Genauso wird es heute noch in den USA und in arabischen Ländern gehandhabt.

Quote Originally Posted by Translation
    The week begins with sunday by jewish, christian and islamic tradition. In the USA and the arabic countries it is still handled this way.
    Last edited by FischOderAal; 07/16/2011 at 02:30 PM.
    I have a speculation for you. I'm thinking that they are doing this to surprise everyone with the Pre 3 as well. AT&T usually releases new phones on Sundays. That's just a thought...

P.S. Wouldn't it be nice if that was true!?!? Lol.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast