Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    Had a look at it at both future shop and bestbuy today and even with the insane amount of security devices a nd cabling on it and if you call that heavy pick up.....

Sure the ipad is as thin and light as your going to see a tablet be but the touchpad is not heavy.Do not believe the reviews the weight makes 0 difference when it comes to device experience. Think it would ahve felt quite nice in the hands if it wasnt for all that crap they had on it. They dont have half of that stuff on the ipads, not sure why they do on the touchpad
    I have a TP - love the thing and do think it is quite heavy, but that isn't negative - the weight gives it stability especially when it's sitting on the Touchstone stand and want to use the soft keyboard.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    It definitely isn't heavy. A laptop and netbooks used to be considered really lightweight no matter the size or weight and now we're all complaining about ounces....
    but unlike a laptop a tablet is a handheld device.

personally I think that the iPad2 is too heavy. The difference between that and the HPTP isn't very noticeable.

what the both could do with is something for your fingers to grip onto.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I've not held a TouchPad but I believe it's heavier (and thicker?) than a Xoom, which I find to be a bit heavy and chunky compared to my Galaxy Tab 10.1. They should have done more to cut the weight.
    I also do not think that it is heavy, and most of the time I have it propped up at the various case angles, so I never notice any weight ;-)
    Devices

-WiFi HP TouchPad 32GB, July 2011 (Day 1)
    Mine is heavy but the weight feels solid, like its a quality product and not a delicate toy. Weight and thickness were not part of the equation when I bought one. Functionality was. However, if you read the first reviews you would have thought that you needed to work out at the gym to hold one and it was so thick you needed a suitcase to carry it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    I've not held a TouchPad but I believe it's heavier (and thicker?) than a Xoom, which I find to be a bit heavy and chunky compared to my Galaxy Tab 10.1. They should have done more to cut the weight.
    I think only us tech nerds care about that. Everyone else seems to care about what it can do. Not one person I've let use my Touchpad or who I've demoed it to mentioned the thickness or the weight. That includes the iPad users. Everyone thought it was sleek and "pretty". I think it would be nice to cut the weight but I think it should be an extremely low priority, right after they make them in different colors like red to please my wife or blue to please my daughter.
    I am a huge touchpad supporter. I love using it every day!
    it is a heavy device no matter how strong you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    the ipad is as thin and light as your going to see a tablet be but the touchpad is not heavy.Do not believe the reviews the weight makes 0 difference when it comes to device experience. Think it would ahve felt quite nice in the hands if it wasnt for all that crap they had on it. They dont have half of that stuff on the ipads, not sure why they do on the touchpad
    lolwut? The iPad2 isn't even the thinnest and lightest currently on the market. I own and enjoy the TP, but you are fooling yourself if you think that size and weight don't matter.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    As for the topic, I've been demoing the TPad all over the place (two converts so far!) and even the iPad 2 owners say that it's "heavier, but it feels good, very solid."

I always feel like I might accidently snap the iPad2 and GTab10 in half if I push too hard with my thumb. Plus there is a deminishing returns with object size relative to the hand. Too thin and narrow induces fatigue from the muscles having to contract closed rather than extend open.

Think why M$ and Sony aren't in a race for the "thinnest game controller", there's an ideal size for long term comfort, versu unnecessary thinness.
    I wanted to buy a TouchPad but the logistics are daunting: it's too thick to fit in my car, and it's definitely too heavy to be carried home.

I'd charter a cargo plane, but the TouchPad is so slow that the plane wouldn't be able to take off.

I only wanted the TouchPad is for security: if somebody breaks into my house, their fingerprints are magnetically transferred to my TouchPad's back, and no burglar in their right mind would attempt to steal the TouchPad because it just sucks so damn much.

Although I suppose it would have been useful for other things: for example, it's so choppy I'd always have a good supply of firewood.
    k4ever, ag95keri and louisoneal like this.
    you know... i don't think that any reviewers like walt at wsj or any of the sites said it was too heavy and weight was the deciding factor/deal breaker... i think they all just said it's heavier than the most it's peers. it's there job to give you comparisons at different levels and in dimension and weight, that's how it stacks up. show me one article where they say it's a deal breaker.

and when playing with the 10.1 and playbook, all side by side... yes, you can see its a fingerprint magnet. omg is it!! just like my 3gs. when you hold each and look front/back... it's an easy observation.

but... imo... people taking this weight thing really personally.

but yeah... after playing with one at bb i have to agree with you and wish it were a little lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I wanted to buy a TouchPad but the logistics are daunting: it's too thick to fit in my car, and it's definitely too heavy to be carried home.

I'd charter a cargo plane, but the TouchPad is so slow that the plane wouldn't be able to take off.

I only wanted the TouchPad is for security: if somebody breaks into my house, their fingerprints are magnetically transferred to my TouchPad's back, and no burglar in their right mind would attempt to steal the TouchPad because it just sucks so damn much.

Although I suppose it would have been useful for other things: for example, it's so choppy I'd always have a good supply of firewood.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I always feel like I might accidently snap the iPad2 and GTab10 in half if I push too hard with my thumb.
    Perhaps a slight exaggeration here?.. I severely doubt any user of either of those tabs ever worries about pushing their way right through the tablet and would want a thicker tablet as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I think only us tech nerds care about that. Everyone else seems to care about what it can do. Not one person I've let use my Touchpad or who I've demoed it to mentioned the thickness or the weight. That includes the iPad users. Everyone thought it was sleek and "pretty". I think it would be nice to cut the weight but I think it should be an extremely low priority, right after they make them in different colors like red to please my wife or blue to please my daughter.
    I disagree, to an extent. Whilst it's true that I think singled out on its own people aren't going to mind the bulk and weight of it, I think in a retail environment where there are a number of tablets on hand to compare then it will come into it. At the Android table I think a lot of consumers would pick up on the fact the Xoom and GT10.1 are the same price but one is noticeably thicker and heavier in the hand, and they'd opt for the GT10.1 (unless they really wanted the SD slot perhaps) or pay less for the slightly thicker/heavier Transformer or Thrive or something. Whilst the TouchPad might not be directly comparable, as it has its own other unique selling points, I think that if people are undecided on what OS tablet to go for, then they will notice the comparative heft of the device compared to some others they might play with whilst making their decision. That's not to say they won't settle on the TouchPad, but its other USPs need to outshine that as a negative.

People do buy these devices to carry round with them every day on the subway or whatever, or primarily for travel (larger screen for watching movies on a plane). For a substantial portion of potential customers, weight and thickness is a differentiator. HP should have done more to trim down the TouchPad so that some (potentially a minority, but some nonetheless) customers would not have one more potential negative for the OS and device as a whole to overcome for them to part with their cash. I think that's the real problem - singled out, the weight/dims are fine, but in amongst the crowd of other tablets it is potentially a problem for some customers. HP should be doing everythiing they can to not give people another reason not to buy. I personally think that by pricing it in line with the iPad 2 and GT10.1 but providing weight/size more in line with cheaper tabs (Iconia/Thrive/Transformer; Xoom being the only notable anomoly) they made a mistake. And I don't buy the inductive charging argument either - there's no way that contributed to the weight and size of the device by anything more than a trivial amount.

Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    and when playing with the 10.1 and playbook, all side by side... yes, you can see its a fingerprint magnet. omg is it!! just like my 3gs. when you hold each and look front/back... it's an easy observation.

but... imo... people taking this weight thing really personally.

but yeah... after playing with one at bb i have to agree with you and wish it were a little lighter.
    Kind of going with my point, it seems like some of the decisions HP made are quite conspicuous in a retail environment where there are other competing products in direct competition. I think a lot of customers would pick up on these factors just as you did.
    I think it's heavy, but then I've never owned a tablet or similarly weighted netbook before.
    Left the house yesterday wondering why my bag felt light. Wasn't until I stepped on the bus I realized I left my iPad2 in the living room. Been carrying a tablet everyday for 15 monts, iPad 1 then iPad 2. With the other things I need to bring to work glad iPad 2 is thinner and lighter.

Mine is heavy but the weight feels solid, ...snip
    So is a brick, wouldn't want to carry one everyday.

like its a quality product and not a delicate toy. Weight and thickness were not part of the equation when I bought one. Functionality was. However, if you read the first reviews you would have thought that you needed to work out at the gym to hold one and it was so thick you needed a suitcase to carry it in.
    What are you going to say when the future Touchpads are thinner and lighter? When possible, things in technology tend to get thinner, smaller and lighter. If the industry is going with thinner tablets, HP will follow if not lead. You already see this trend in their high laptops.

I wish they would give a date on the 7 inch Touchpad, getting hard to wait.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 07/16/2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    he's my brother?
    mespiff likes this.
    DeWitt has explained at least several times already that the extra thickness is due to the inductive charging feature. Personally I'd rather have a slightly thicker device if it means being able to slap into a dock for quick and easy charging. I think people should just learn to get over this. Its a small price to pay for the added convenience. Compromises, people.
    lukehale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Left the house yesterday wondering why my bag felt light. Wasn't until I stepped on the bus I realized I left my iPad2 in the living room. Been carrying a tablet everyday for 15 monts, iPad 1 then iPad 2. With the other things I need to bring to work glad iPad 2 is thinner and lighter.

So is a brick, wouldn't want to carry one everyday.

What are you going to say when the future Touchpads are thinner and lighter? When possible, things in technology tend to get thinner, smaller and lighter. If the industry is going with thinner tablets, HP will follow if not lead. You already see this trend in their high laptops.

I wish they would give a date on the 7 inch Touchpad, getting hard to wait.
    Stucco is lighter than brick yet my wife prefers brick houses over the stucco ones. So does my insurance company. So don't knock brick!

Seriously there is a such thing as being to thin, especially when it comes to electronic devices. Something has to be given up to squeeze the components into such a tight space. Remember that the Macbook Air had to give up the optical drive and some heat sinks to get as thin as it is. Even though it was so thin it did not sell as well as everyone said it would. Most non-techies thought the thinnest was a gimmick. The X-Box 360 (and it's controllers) were not as sleek as the Playstation or the Wii yet it still sold better. I think buyers will oh and ah over the thickness of the competition, then start asking the hard questions like what can it do, which is what really matters.

I'm eager to see how Apple is going to add wireless charging to their devices which accounts for the extra weight and space on the Touchpad.

I'm also waiting for the 7 inch Touchpad also. I prefer something I can put in my pocket while everyone else around me seem to like the 10 inch form factor. I told my wife I'll give her this one if I can get the 7 inch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    DeWitt has explained at least several times already that the extra thickness is due to the inductive charging feature. Personally I'd rather have a slightly thicker device if it means being able to slap into a dock for quick and easy charging. I think people should just learn to get over this. Its a small price to pay for the added convenience. Compromises, people.
    Hmm. There are other non inductive dock stands that you just drop the thinner tablet onto the connector. Serves the same purpose in regard to charging.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast