Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    You don't carry a video game console, and even a laptop isn't held up the way that a tablet is. Also, the Wii has sold far better than the 360.

I think some people are missing the point. I bought a touchpad, it's not too big for me, but for some, it will be. The size of the 10.1 will help its sales, the size of the TP will hinder them. Period.
    I think you've nailed it-it's all about personal preference.
    Personally, I don't think the difference in weight between tablets is going to be the deciding factor for most average consumers.
    That said, if weight is a major selling point for some consumers, you're going to get people on both ends of the spectrum. Some people like a more solid device (ie a bit heavier) like the Touchpad, some like something thinner and lighter like the iPad 2.
    I think the weight argument is one that can't be won, just because everyone has a different preference (and most average consumers-like myself-aren't so devoted to our tablet buying that we're literally weighing out the difference in weight, or measuring the thickness-so long as the tablets are are close in size and weight-which they are-beyond the handful of more educated/picky consumers I don't think the weight will have a huge impact on sales.
    Of course, there are lots of other things that could, but the issue being made about the weight of the TP is getting blown a bit out of proportion IMHO.
    kjb86, lukehale and k4ever like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Can you link us to the TouchPad disassembly video please? I could only find pictures, which I based my previous post on; the components I could see in the pictures looked to be very minimally sized. I'd like to get a better look at them in this video though. I didn't think of the difference in power draw either, which is a fair point.

This whole debate kind of brings up the question (again) of whether using some proprietary technology for TTS was a good idea. If using coils was going to add weight and bulk and limit what they could do with the hardware profile (especially going forward where presumably they will want to trim down the profile), I wonder if it might have been better in a way to use Bluetooth or NFC instead?
    The one I mentioned is here. Starting at 5:05 you can see the guy holding the back cover up and you can see that the two coil sets fill most of the space where the back cover curves away from the thinner edges. They mention in the video that the pad's easy swap out design contributes to it's thickness, which is probably about 2-3 mm there. The combination of the swappable parts design and the space in the back cover required to house the coils is likely the entire sum difference in thickness.
    Quote Originally Posted by ag95keri View Post
    I'm a huge HP fan, and even though the TouchPad is my first webOS device, I absolutely love it.

However, to say that it could replace a laptop or netbook is a bit much. Without an office suite that allows you to create and edit files, it's not replacing my laptop. Just viewing files doesn't really help me all that much. It also can't read zip files, so when someone sends me a zipped up doc/ppt file to save email space, I can't even view it.

I look forward to the day when it will replace my laptop for most things, but we're not quite there yet.
    Well, yes and no. You can create documents just fine using Google Docs. If you want a native suite on the TouchPad, then, yes, QuickOffice will be needed. The zip files are a different issue. There are tools to get the file and unzip it from the Terminal, but that's an advanced function that most regular users shouldn't be expected to perform. A native viewer from the email app should be on the list of stuff needed.
    I was literally thinking that when my TouchPad arrived it would weigh a ton (and my wife has an iPad2, so I knew how much that weighed). All the reviewers were talking as if it was too heavy to even carry around, or hurting their arms or something :-)

Once I finally got my TouchPad and lifted it up I was seriously like "***" was everyone complaining about, talk about over-hype. Now the sluggishness and lag during Synergy and Backup resyncing was pretty spot on.......at least that got better once it was complete the.......next day.......but that's for another thread :-)
    k4ever and HelloNNNewman like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Never said what I wanted in regard to a full size tablet. The want comments came from you. The comment was on possible consumer scenarios. Never alluded that every consumer will get hung up grams and millimeters, that's obvious since people here are buying them. It's best to strive to never say what you want on a forum, nobody cares. Each individual has their own wants, mileage may vary.

The world is full of things you have yet to see.
    You're ruler and scale comment is where the webos bubble kicks in. Pop it.
    People have something called judgement. They pick an object they intend to buy and get a feel for it. Ruler and scale not required. For 500 bucks do you believe the average consumer is not going to be slightly more discriminating with their purchase? Or are they just going to walk in to a B&M and stop at the first tablet and say "Ok here's one, where's the checkout?"
    BTW, if I'm popping $500 down on a portable electronic product unless it weighs several pounds more than the competition and is so thick it won't fit in my brief case then weight and thickness is the furthest, furthest things from my mind. Does it meet my needs, is it reliable, will I get good support, what is the warranty like, are there any hidden cost, what's the capacity, memory size, upgradeability, ...........................................color...................weight...................thicknes s.
    Last edited by k4ever; 07/18/2011 at 01:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Well, yes and no. You can create documents just fine using Google Docs. If you want a native suite on the TouchPad, then, yes, QuickOffice will be needed. The zip files are a different issue. There are tools to get the file and unzip it from the Terminal, but that's an advanced function that most regular users shouldn't be expected to perform. A native viewer from the email app should be on the list of stuff needed.
    I agree with ag95keri. Until it gets full document editing it won't fully replace my laptop. Google Docs just won't cut it for me. I tried it on the Touchpad and I didn't like it one bit. Truth is I don't really like or use it on my laptop either. My Android tablet has document editing. Paid $15 dollars for the feature. It works great but the rest of the experience has me running for my Touchpad or laptop for salvation. The Touchpad is the closes thing to replacing the laptop but without document editing it falls short. I'm hoping that document editing is added in this 1st update. I'm on vacation so I can wait it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I agree with ag95keri. Until it gets full document editing it won't fully replace my laptop. Google Docs just won't cut it for me. I tried it on the Touchpad and I didn't like it one bit. Truth is I don't really like or use it on my laptop either. My Android tablet has document editing. Paid $15 dollars for the feature. It works great but the rest of the experience has me running for my Touchpad or laptop for salvation. The Touchpad is the closes thing to replacing the laptop but without document editing it falls short. I'm hoping that document editing is added in this 1st update. I'm on vacation so I can wait it out.

Oh, I understand, it's a personal thing. But, if you need to create and edit, you can in fact do so. That's why, for some, it can replace a laptop/netbook. Now, my desktop...that's different. Can't play Crysis on the TouchPad!
    from anandtech... considered by some here to be the best review of the tp...

The TouchPad is thicker than the iPad 2 or Galaxy Tab 10.1, but it's not the thickness that bothers me. The TouchPad is the heaviest tablet we've reviewed. At 730g it's over 20% heavier than the iPad 2 and the weight is noticeable. If you're using it on its dock or on your lap the weight isn't a problem, but holding it up for long periods of time can be fatiguing.

AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    from anandtech... considered by some here to be the best review of the tp...

The TouchPad is thicker than the iPad 2 or Galaxy Tab 10.1, but it's not the thickness that bothers me. The TouchPad is the heaviest tablet we've reviewed. At 730g it's over 20% heavier than the iPad 2 and the weight is noticeable. If you're using it on its dock or on your lap the weight isn't a problem, but holding it up for long periods of time can be fatiguing.

AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen
    If he's fatiguing from hold it up for long periods maybe he should consider something lighter, like a 7" tab or a "superphone".
    You use the word logic and then include a feeling: satisfying. How would you measure satisfying for 6 billion people where all 6 billion people will agree? Convenient OK, but how many people run to the dock connectors, as opposed to comparing the look, feel and capability of the devices in question? Charging is secondary. People already use cables for many things. It's not like charging with a cable is changing their current habit. People are already used to aligning things in their daily life, a dock connector is just another one of those things.

Too bad we can't get real numbers on how many (non webos fans) people will actually pick a Touchpad just because of induction charging.

Charging is secondary, look fit and device capability is primary.

If anyone has any numbers on how many people actually buy docks, please post.

Well, as a Pre- owner since launch, inductive charging has moved up close to the top of my list of wanted features for mobile devices. I have them everywhere now. My family, who have moved on to other devices (platforms), say that they miss the touchstone feature most.

But you're right, most people probably won't make this feature a priority. Unless they already have experience with inductive charging.

I have to give Palm kudos for the vision of TRULY wireless devices, from initial setup to daily usage. Not to mention that it saves wear and tear on ports.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If he's fatiguing from hold it up for long periods maybe he should consider something lighter, like a 7" tab or a "superphone".
    A gym membership might be a better solution.

I remember reading numerous post on a well know Apple site with Apple fans complaining about the weight of the iPad 1. Some said they were returning it. Damn I wish I could post a link to that thread because everyone here would die laughing, especially at the thread title. I think that thread went 5 pages.

Preception is everything, and a tablet coming in heavier and thicker is not an ideal thing for webos.

Sure some people like the thicker design, but webos doesn't need some people, it needs millions and millions of sheep.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    As an iPad 2 owner, the first thing I noticed when I picked up a touchpad for the first time was its weight and the glossy back. No matter how macho you think you are, you can't honestly say that it isn't easier holding something lighter for an extended period of time. The touchpad is just too bulky for a 2011 device.

I loved the touchstone on my Pre, but I really don't need one for a tablet. With the Pre, the touchstone was essential, because battery life is so bad. I charge my iPad every night out of habit, but I could go a few days without charging it at all if I wanted to.

If they really wanted to use the touchstone as a justification for the added bulk, they really should have packaged the touchpad with a free touchstone. This could have been a real differentiator for them. In actuality, most touchpad buyers probably won't buy the $80 touchstone, so they have to deal with the added bulk and not receive any of its advantages. Speaking of that, do we really know how much of its size is because of the touchstone? I realize that this is a much larger scale, but the touchstone backing for the original Pre didn't add any noticeable thickness to the device.

I'm going to have to pass on the touchpad. If the Opal has a matte backing and similar spec'd similarly to the touchpad, I'll probably pick one up. I can't stand the cheap plastic on the back of the touchpad or most of the Android tablets.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    well the ipad2 is not the lightest... the 10.1 is right? so just following a natural evolutionary trend than a particular herd of sheep like others have mentioned... no doubt the tp2 will be thinner then people will not be so sensitive over reviewers and peoples observations of being heavier.

but some people may see the advantage of a few ounces... for children to be able to hold and use the tablet more comfortably. for those older people that are weaker. for people that may have wrist or arthritis problems. imo... there is no disadvantage to being lighter. people will take things like that into account when shopping and have them side by side.

i have a gym membership (and use it ) so i played with the tp and find the weight ok. heck i can also do curls with it to supplement my workouts

i think what really happened is that they originally designed it to be close to the ipad and the tp came out late and hp got caught by surprise on the ipad2. a lot of people did... look at samsung make the adjustment practically the day after the news came out... and look how popular the 10.1 because of it. i think they can make it thinner even with the touchstone and bet you'll see it in the tp2.

A gym membership might be a better solution.

I remember reading numerous post on a well know Apple site with Apple fans complaining about the weight of the iPad 1. Some said they were returning it. Damn I wish I could post a link to that thread because everyone here would die laughing, especially at the thread title. I think that thread went 5 pages.

Preception is everything, and a tablet coming in heavier and thicker is not an ideal thing for webos.

Sure some people like the thicker design, but webos doesn't need some people, it needs millions and millions of sheep.
    k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    well the ipad2 is not the lightest... the 10.1 is right? so just following a natural evolutionary trend than a particular herd of sheep like others have mentioned... no doubt the tp2 will be thinner then people will not be so sensitive over reviewers and peoples observations of being heavier.

but some people may see the advantage of a few ounces... for children to be able to hold and use the tablet more comfortably. for those older people that are weaker. for people that may have wrist or arthritis problems. imo... there is no disadvantage to being lighter. people will take things like that into account when shopping and have them side by side.

i have a gym membership (and use it ) so i played with the tp and find the weight ok. heck i can also do curls with it to supplement my workouts

i think what really happened is that they originally designed it to be close to the ipad and the tp came out late and hp got caught by surprise on the ipad2. a lot of people did... look at samsung make the adjustment practically the day after the news came out... and look how popular the 10.1 because of it. i think they can make it thinner even with the touchstone and bet you'll see it in the tp2.
    Agreed. I'm pretty sure they will make it lighter in the TP2. I don't blame them for not stopping production to change the weight and thickness. That would be a major engineering feat that would have pushed the release back even further. By then the iPad 3 would be out with something else different that the reviewers would definitely point out. You can't go around chasing waterfalls. You will never catch them. HP should stay on their own path. I can tell you that while we were so busy arguing over how HP screwed up on the weight and thickness that we forget that Apple screwed up on adding intuitive multi-tasking, wireless charging, and touch to share features to the iPad2. Why did they leave this out of the new iPad knowing that HP was building a tablet with those features? They have the #1 tablet in the world and the #1 smart phone in the world and they can't even talk to each other, charge wirelessly, and you have to take too many steps to close a running app. Why are they waiting until a "future release" to add these features? See how it cuts both ways...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123