Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I don't really find it heavy.

Is it slightly heavier than some of the other tablets? Sure. Personally I like it better-it feels solid.

I find it about the same weight as my purse (maybe that's not a good thing though lol-but that speaks more about the junk in my purse than anything), and lighter than anything else I've ever traveled with (like my laptop, or a textbook, etc).

When I was debating between tablets (having never even used WebOS before) the weight of the tablets weren't part of my decision making-I find them all relatively comparable. A few extra grams isn't going to be a deal breaker for most people, IMHO.
    dabombcra likes this.
    sinsin07, I didn't answer your question. If HP could make the Touchpad lighter and thinner and keep all the features that the extra thickness and weight add, like wireless charging and touch to share then I say go for it. I'll buy the lighter one when it comes out. However, if the have to sacrifice function for form then I will no longer be one of their customers.

Apple has done a decent job adding more features to the iPad2 while making it thinner, but it is the 2nd iPad so their engineers know where to save the space. They knew what they wanted the first iPad to do and they based their design around that. Same with the 2nd one. This is the first Touchpad. Bottom line, features first, then concentrate on form next. If they are too busy copying their competitors how will they ever innovate? I didn't want an iPad so why would I want a feature for feature iPad clone?
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    DeWitt has explained at least several times already that the extra thickness is due to the inductive charging feature. Personally I'd rather have a slightly thicker device if it means being able to slap into a dock for quick and easy charging. I think people should just learn to get over this. Its a small price to pay for the added convenience. Compromises, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm eager to see how Apple is going to add wireless charging to their devices which accounts for the extra weight and space on the Touchpad.
    Take the back cover off your Pre or Pixi if you have one and just see how much space the inductive charging contacts actually take up - virtually nothing. I'd be extremely shocked if the extra weight and thickness was anything to do with inductive charging. I think it's obvious DeWitt was just trying to avoid the real question of why it was thicker/heavier by bringing up a unique feature of the device. It's a perfectly legitimate (and desirable) feature, but I really don't think it's accurate that it makes any significant difference to the weight or thickness of the device at all.

If you look at Cracking Open the HP TouchPad: Completely disassembled | 74 of 74 you can see that the components which seem to be related to inductive charging (the flat orange and light grey parts on the back I think) are very, very slim. Certainly not 5.1mm (which is the difference in thickness between the GT10.1 and the TouchPad) in thickness, and obviously marginal in weight too - much like a Pre Touchstone back.
    sinsin07, I didn't answer your question. If HP could make the Touchpad lighter and thinner and keep all the features that the extra thickness and weight add, like wireless charging and touch to share then I say go for it. I'll buy the lighter one when it comes out. However, if the have to sacrifice function for form then I will no longer be one of their customers.

Apple has done a decent job adding more features to the iPad2 while making it thinner, but it is the 2nd iPad so their engineers know where to save the space. They knew what they wanted the first iPad to do and they based their design around that. Same with the 2nd one. This is the first Touchpad. Bottom line, features first, then concentrate on form next. If they are too busy copying their competitors how will they ever innovate? I didn't want an iPad so why would I want a feature for feature iPad clone?
    I wasn't attempting to address what you want, it does not impact me. My example was on the lines of a consumer picking between two devices.
    On the one hand you have HP with their thicker and heavier tablet along with inductive charging. On the other hand you have couple of other choices that are thinner and lighter, with options to dock with a connector.
    If a consumer is inclined to get a dock, these are the things that may be considered. How many people actually buy docks is another factor. The HP dock is not bundled with device. It's an option. The inductive charging may be important to you, but how much is it important to the avergage consumer in the store hefting the Touchpad in one hand and another similar sized tablet in the other.

Are they going to say "Oh well, I'll go with the Touchpad because it has inductive charging?" Tablets are meant to be portable. Charging is secondary.
    So it's fat and over weight. So am I. We make a good pair.
    sinsin07, are the both of us so arrogant that we would even think that what we want to see in a tablet matters to the 6 billion other folks in the world? I think as techies we tend to get caught up on these things. A few grams of weight and a few millimeters of thickness may be intriguing to us both not every consumer. If a consumer is looking strictly for which tablet is the thinnest and the lightest, the iPad2 wins. Hands down, end of discussion. However, I have yet to see a ruler and a scale in the electronics department.
    Looking at a disassembled TouchPad on video, it's clear that at least a couple of millimeters are devoted to the hump on the back of the case where the Touchstone and communication coils are placed. Because of the larger power transfer requirements (the TouchPad Touchstone is a 2 Amp draw device versus the original phone version which is a 1 Amp draw device) the coils are significantly larger in the TouchPad than the phones. So saying "look at the coils in your Pre or Pixi" isn't going to provide a fair comparison. If the TouchPad didn't have Touchstone charging and didn't have the TTS coil, then it would have likely been a couple mm thinner than the original iPad and just a couple thicker than the iPad2. The coils are probably worth a couple of oz in weight do to the fact they are coils of metal, but clearly don't make up for the bulk of the little weight difference.

Seriously, why any one is so hard up on the weight and size of the device is beyond me. The only real issues are the lack of apps and the occasional lag. The first is being worked, and the second will likely be fixed with the OTA. Overall, it's still an excellent device, and can clearly replace a laptop or netbook, especially if you pick up the wireless bluetooth keyboard.
    k4ever and kjb86 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Looking at a disassembled TouchPad on video, it's clear that at least a couple of millimeters are devoted to the hump on the back of the case where the Touchstone and communication coils are placed. Because of the larger power transfer requirements (the TouchPad Touchstone is a 2 Amp draw device versus the original phone version which is a 1 Amp draw device) the coils are significantly larger in the TouchPad than the phones. So saying "look at the coils in your Pre or Pixi" isn't going to provide a fair comparison. If the TouchPad didn't have Touchstone charging and didn't have the TTS coil, then it would have likely been a couple mm thinner than the original iPad and just a couple thicker than the iPad2. The coils are probably worth a couple of oz in weight do to the fact they are coils of metal, but clearly don't make up for the bulk of the little weight difference.

Seriously, why any one is so hard up on the weight and size of the device is beyond me. The only real issues are the lack of apps and the occasional lag. The first is being worked, and the second will likely be fixed with the OTA. Overall, it's still an excellent device, and can clearly replace a laptop or netbook, especially if you pick up the wireless bluetooth keyboard.
    Maybe it's our hypocrisy as Americans. We are one of the largest nations (by waist size) yet we, overall, value thinness over everything else..

Before anyone says anything I love and defend this country each day!
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Hmm. There are other non inductive dock stands that you just drop the thinner tablet onto the connector. Serves the same purpose in regard to charging.
    True, but you usually have to take it out of the case to put it in those stand chargers. (Before someone goes off on that, I know some cases work with those ... that's why I said usually instead of always.)

With the inductive charging stand, not only can I leave the case on, but I can choose to have it vertical or horizontal in the stand. I have found that I prefer to keep mine horizontal most of the time because it's easier to type when the keyboard is wider. With those other stands, it has to sit vertically to line up with the charging port.

I have one of those "frame" covers, and I love that I can flip the front cover to the back and set it in on the Touchstone horizontally. It charges perfectly through two layers of the leather case regardless of vertical/horizontal orientation.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
    Stucco is lighter than brick yet my wife prefers brick houses over the stucco ones. So does my insurance company. So don't knock brick!

Seriously there is a such thing as being to thin, especially when it comes to electronic devices. Something has to be given up to squeeze the components into such a tight space. Remember that the Macbook Air had to give up the optical drive and some heat sinks to get as thin as it is. Even though it was so thin it did not sell as well as everyone said it would. Most non-techies thought the thinnest was a gimmick. The X-Box 360 (and it's controllers) were not as sleek as the Playstation or the Wii yet it still sold better. I think buyers will oh and ah over the thickness of the competition, then start asking the hard questions like what can it do, which is what really matters.

I'm eager to see how Apple is going to add wireless charging to their devices which accounts for the extra weight and space on the Touchpad.

I'm also waiting for the 7 inch Touchpad also. I prefer something I can put in my pocket while everyone else around me seem to like the 10 inch form factor. I told my wife I'll give her this one if I can get the 7 inch.
    You don't carry a video game console, and even a laptop isn't held up the way that a tablet is. Also, the Wii has sold far better than the 360.

I think some people are missing the point. I bought a touchpad, it's not too big for me, but for some, it will be. The size of the 10.1 will help its sales, the size of the TP will hinder them. Period.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    It's not heavy, but it *feels* bulky when compared to the iPad 2. I personally really prefer the iPad 2 size, it feels more natural.
    sinsin07, are the both of us so arrogant that we would even think that what we want to see in a tablet matters to the 6 billion other folks in the world? I think as techies we tend to get caught up on these things. A few grams of weight and a few millimeters of thickness may be intriguing to us both not every consumer. If a consumer is looking strictly for which tablet is the thinnest and the lightest, the iPad2 wins. Hands down, end of discussion. However, I have yet to see a ruler and a scale in the electronics department.
    Never said what I wanted in regard to a full size tablet. The want comments came from you. The comment was on possible consumer scenarios. Never alluded that every consumer will get hung up grams and millimeters, that's obvious since people here are buying them. It's best to strive to never say what you want on a forum, nobody cares. Each individual has their own wants, mileage may vary.

The world is full of things you have yet to see.
    You're ruler and scale comment is where the webos bubble kicks in. Pop it.
    People have something called judgement. They pick an object they intend to buy and get a feel for it. Ruler and scale not required. For 500 bucks do you believe the average consumer is not going to be slightly more discriminating with their purchase? Or are they just going to walk in to a B&M and stop at the first tablet and say "Ok here's one, where's the checkout?"
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    can clearly replace a laptop or netbook ...
    I'm a huge HP fan, and even though the TouchPad is my first webOS device, I absolutely love it.

However, to say that it could replace a laptop or netbook is a bit much. Without an office suite that allows you to create and edit files, it's not replacing my laptop. Just viewing files doesn't really help me all that much. It also can't read zip files, so when someone sends me a zipped up doc/ppt file to save email space, I can't even view it.

I look forward to the day when it will replace my laptop for most things, but we're not quite there yet.
    Past: Treo 300 > 650 > 700w > 750
    Present: HP iPAQ Glisten (WM) + TouchPad
    Future: Pre3 + Veer + TouchPad

Just waiting for webOS 3 on the phones. Please hurry, HP!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts

Can you link us to the TouchPad disassembly video please? I could only find pictures, which I based my previous post on; the components I could see in the pictures looked to be very minimally sized. I'd like to get a better look at them in this video though. I didn't think of the difference in power draw either, which is a fair point.

This whole debate kind of brings up the question (again) of whether using some proprietary technology for TTS was a good idea. If using coils was going to add weight and bulk and limit what they could do with the hardware profile (especially going forward where presumably they will want to trim down the profile), I wonder if it might have been better in a way to use Bluetooth or NFC instead?
    Never said what I wanted in regard to a full size tablet. The want comments came from you. The comment was on possible consumer scenarios. Never alluded that every consumer will get hung up grams and millimeters, that's obvious since people here are buying them. It's best to strive to never say what you want on a forum, nobody cares. Each individual has their own wants, mileage may vary.

The world is full of things you have yet to see.
    You're ruler and scale comment is where the webos bubble kicks in. Pop it.
    People have something called judgement. They pick an object they intend to buy and get a feel for it. Ruler and scale not required. For 500 bucks do you believe the average consumer is not going to be slightly more discriminating with their purchase? Or are they just going to walk in to a B&M and stop at the first tablet and say "Ok here's one, where's the checkout?"
    I like to use a little humor in my post. It defines me so I'm not changing that. So please try not to get offended. When I see someone other than the folks here (who are slanted one way or another) make the defining factor about which device they buy a few millimeters of thickness or grams of weight, then I will understand why it matters. I'm in a SUV full of consumers traveling right now. I guarantee you that if I brought up the thickness and weight specs about a device I will get a bunch of rolled eyes. I've given up on talking about things like that. They buy stuff based on their needs which are all different. Will the Touchpad lose sales because of it's dimension? Yes. But then again it will lose sales because of some other things not mentioned just as the iPad will lose sales and the Tab will lose sales. What matters is what it brings to the table. The distinguishing features.
    Hmm. There are other non inductive dock stands that you just drop the thinner tablet onto the connector. Serves the same purpose in regard to charging.
    well, using the same ill logic used by many of the Touchpad complainers, it can be argued that its more convenient and satisfying to simply place the Touchpad on a dock instead of having to align any plugs or connectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    well, using the same ill logic used by many of the Touchpad complainers, it can be argued that its more convenient and satisfying to simply place the Touchpad on a dock instead of having to align any plugs or connectors.
    You use the word logic and then include a feeling: satisfying. How would you measure satisfying for 6 billion people where all 6 billion people will agree? Convenient OK, but how many people run to the dock connectors, as opposed to comparing the look, feel and capability of the devices in question? Charging is secondary. People already use cables for many things. It's not like charging with a cable is changing their current habit. People are already used to aligning things in their daily life, a dock connector is just another one of those things.

Too bad we can't get real numbers on how many (non webos fans) people will actually pick a Touchpad just because of induction charging.

Charging is secondary, look fit and device capability is primary.

If anyone has any numbers on how many people actually buy docks, please post.
    I personally find it funny that so many complain about the thickness and weight. No it is not the lightest tablet, but it is the only one I have found that can charge wirelessly. The Touch Pad has a good feel. It is only a couple mm thicker than the iPad.mis that really going to make a difference in the long run?

and the complaint about thickness. How many people have case for their iPad or Touch Pad? Think a lot of the reviews were to hard on the Touch Pad. I have had mine for a day now and I like the feel & thickness.
    specialshi likes this.
    You use the word logic and then include a feeling: satisfying. How would you measure satisfying for 6 billion people where all 6 billion people will agree? Convenient OK, but how many people run to the dock connectors, as opposed to comparing the look, feel and capability of the devices in question? Charging is secondary. People already use cables for many things. It's not like charging with a cable is changing their current habit. People are already used to aligning things in their daily life, a dock connector is just another one of those things.

Too bad we can't get real numbers on how many (non webos fans) people will actually pick a Touchpad just because of induction charging.

Charging is secondary, look fit and device capability is primary.

If anyone has any numbers on how many people actually buy docks, please post.
    Uhm, inductive charging is a key differentiatior for newer Palm devices. It only makes sense to include this on the Touchpad and if it means a few extra millimeters (read: millimeters) then so be it. The more people complain about this, the lamer they sound.

Personally the Ipad 2 feels like a wafer in my hands and believe it or not is much less comfortable to hold than other tablets i've handled (not just Touchpad) which feel more solid.

Also if you haven't noticed, wires are becoming less and less ubiquitous these days with the advent of sharing technologies (Bluetooth, NFC, etc), inductive charging (HPalm products, battery mats, etc). Surprisingly Apple hasn't yet "innovated" a version of their own.
    kjb86 likes this.
    I finally got my hands on a touchpad today...and its not thick at all in my view..

It is however plenty heavy lol...but i thinking the heavyness is subjective where your brain sees flat and plastic and expect it to be lighter than it is...you dont realize theres alot of tech smashed into a small space...
    mperkinsky likes this.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast