Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    I really don't understand how I can hear my headphones fine with the touchpad in a backpack while I'm riding a motorcycle at 70 mph but y'all can't hear it on an airplane.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siah1214 View Post
    I really don't understand how I can hear my headphones fine with the touchpad in a backpack while I'm riding a motorcycle at 70 mph but y'all can't hear it on an airplane.
    i'm telling you, the volume is awful on mine in a plane. This is with $300 noise canceling headphones.
    I had the same experience on the plane, however I wasn't using any sort of high quality gear - just the headset that came with the Pre. I couldn't make out any of the conversation in the movies I tried to watch.
    Palm IIIx > Palm m505 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre- & Touchpad
    Audio codec used in TP is great. It supports headphone amplification and EQ settings. Hopingly some of developers here will have time to adjust advanced kernel drivers, and to develop controling app.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericblackdv View Post
    It is a problem. Full volume on an airplane is BARELY loud enough. It NEEDS to have a max volume of at least 30% more.

I'm shocked that my 1985 Sony Walkman had 3x the max volume as the Touchpad.
    You may find that your 1985 walkman will be louder than most personal music players. There laws that limit what SPL someone way be exposed to.

Having said that; has anyone tried turning beats audio off? I can see that boosting bit of the volume, but you'll lose the dynamic range
    The TP is definitely not loud enough. In a quiet room they're ok, but in any other environment it seems they're not good enough. I compared this to my BlackBerry Playbook and the difference was night and day.
    there is definitely a noticable difference between my ipod nano and touchpad. I just tried the same song from the same itunes and the ipod hurt my ears at full volume while the touchpad was comfortable at full volume.
    At max volume, the gain is rather low compared to other devices. It's prolly a bug. I tested it myself and while it may be "loud enough" for others in some circumstances; overall the gain, at max volume, is notably lesser than other devices at max volume. By a large margin, in fact.
    Yeah, just got back from a round-trip flight, and had to give up on watching the movies I'd brought along. Regular old ear-buds, but very difficult to make out with those engines humming. I wish I'd seen this thread.. gonna try turning off Beats next time I use earbuds and see what difference it makes.
    I can't believe someone from HP didn't notice this. The executives/marketing people who keep saying how they use the TP fly around enough that they should have noticed this.

I call bs on anyone of them that have said they've used it as their main device, or they all just like looking out the window.
    I bought the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and could hear music beautifully in a very noisy cafe and on the airplane, noise cancelling was superb. I'm flying tomorrow morning in the am a very short flight, will try to test with movie but no promises.
    headphones were 60 dollars on amazon refurb, sound is superb, the headphones are a tad heavy which is ok as I have bluetooth for alternate choice.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    I can't believe someone from HP didn't notice this. The executives/marketing people who keep saying how they use the TP fly around enough that they should have noticed this.

I call bs on anyone of them that have said they've used it as their main device, or they all just like looking out the window.
    The noise on a Gulfstream is different than a 767 :-P
    get a BB playbook, they have a setting for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I bought the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and could hear music beautifully in a very noisy cafe and on the airplane, noise cancelling was superb. I'm flying tomorrow morning in the am a very short flight, will try to test with movie but no promises.
    headphones were 60 dollars on amazon refurb, sound is superb, the headphones are a tad heavy which is ok as I have bluetooth for alternate choice.
    tested these listening to movie on noisy shuttle plane this morning as I sat a row in front of the wings. They sounded good, I could also hear the low rumble of the jet, my own homemade beats audio. I could hear that the stewardesses were speaking when they were miked but could not make out words, could not hear them otherwise, the headphones don't completely shut out sounds.
    I pointed this out in another thread about Beats Audio. It seems that if you plug in a headset or external speakers the sound is clear but low. However Bluetooth stereo headsets are extremely loud with the Touchpad. Also higher quality mp3 files sound loud but low quality ones don't. Is Beats doing something funky to the sound to compensate for the quality of the sound file? Whatever it is, HP needs to fix it quickly along with the Bluetooth not connecting to a large amount devices. I can't connect my Touchpad to my truck's Kenwood stereo over Bluetooth and the sound is too low when connecting through the headset jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by richardtank View Post
    You may find that your 1985 walkman will be louder than most personal music players. There laws that limit what SPL someone way be exposed to.

Having said that; has anyone tried turning beats audio off? I can see that boosting bit of the volume, but you'll lose the dynamic range
    I turned it off and I did not notice that much of a difference.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Might some users affected by low volume have high-impedance headphones, earbuds or IEMs? For example, most Bose noise-canceling models apart from the recent QC15 have 300-ohms impedance.

The terrific AudiophileHD offers a volume control within the app which bypasses the system volume setting. This might be worth a try by users disappointed with the TouchPad's ability to drive headphones.
    Folks,

There is a new patch in preware to increase the volume of the TP.
    Take a look at this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-anyone-5.html
    My headphone volume on my TP is also super low. I hope its fixed in this upcoming OTA.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by FesterTreo View Post
    Folks,

There is a new patch in preware to increase the volume of the TP.
    Take a look at this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-anyone-5.html
    This patch is great!! Solved the volume issue completely. It's nice to have to turn the volume down a bit. I recommend it to all who want a boost. I have yet to use it w/ the patch on a plane however. A four hour flight pre-patch was just ok - clear but low.
    Last edited by Trovahead; 07/27/2011 at 01:25 AM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12