Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just spent about three hours ripping a DVD with DVD Converter, converting it to Mp4 with HandBrake, and copying it to my Touchpad.

Can't find it on the Touchpad. It's not in the music app, or my picture app. Its 1.6 gig space has definitely been assigned.

My apologies for not plumbing the depths of these forae, but ***, really.

I welcome any pointers to File Manager type proggies that'll let me locate that huge file, and coax it into playing on my Touchpad.

The flight from MSP to DC takes a long time. I just want to have something on my TP that will while away the hours.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    I assume you converted on your computer . . and want to transfer??? goto the start and type in *.mp4 (or whatever file format) and you should see the list of those files .. .prolly stuck in a temp file somewhere??

If you've NOT tried GOGO inflight, you might give it a go; I'm sure if you are on Delta it'll be available for ya. GOGO has made those longer legs enjoyable ~
    ripped dvd, converted it to mp4 on my desktop, copied it over usb to my touchpad in the new directory "videos". Opened both the "Music" and "Photos and videos" apps, nada.
    try downloading "gemini file manager"... this app will let you browse your entire "drive"...
    known issue. Connect via usb again but this time remove without ejecting first....it will complain about not ejecting first but TP will rescan file system and missing video will show up in photo app.
    Yep, same problem. I have the Internalz app which is a file browser/manager. I use that to navigate to my videos and open them.

The Touchpad bug about not seeing videos is annoying.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Use HP play to sync music even if it's one file. After ejecting all your transferred files will be visible including videos.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks - now that I know what's up I'll be gtg for my flight.

Now that I see how awesome the Touchpad is for watching movies, I can see why folks might want a 32gig model. With my music, apps, photos and now two videos, I've got 3 gig left on my 16 gig Touchpad.

Not a huge deal, as I don't expect this to be my main movie-viewing device. Quite handy while travelling, though.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    Thanks - now that I know what's up I'll be gtg for my flight.

Now that I see how awesome the Touchpad is for watching movies, I can see why folks might want a 32gig model. With my music, apps, photos and now two videos, I've got 3 gig left on my 16 gig Touchpad.

Not a huge deal, as I don't expect this to be my main movie-viewing device. Quite handy while travelling, though.
    It is indeed a very useful device while traveling. It's accompanied me on a transatlantic flight during which I watched some recorded shows from my cable box in .mp4 format enroute, kids had multiple sessions of angry birds with battery to spare. I have used it as my primary device despite having access to my wife's laptop. The only issue is hulu, crackle etc block my access from the UK and I don't know any proxy servers.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    It is indeed a very useful device while traveling. It's accompanied me on a transatlantic flight during which I watched some recorded shows from my cable box in .mp4 format enroute, kids had multiple sessions of angry birds with battery to spare. I have used it as my primary device despite having access to my wife's laptop. The only issue is hulu, crackle etc block my access from the UK and I don't know any proxy servers.
    I'm sure folks will either figure out workarounds, or HP will negotiate some way to view nation-locked content.

It's not just HP, all media providers are gonna have to come to terms with a globe-trotting customer base using their iPads, Androids, or whatever. Prolly won't happen soon, but it's gonna have to happen.

And yes, I could totally use my Touchpad for 90% of what I do, except that I'm a programmer, and unless I get access to a Citrix session, I'll need a PC to do my work.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    I'm sure folks will either figure out workarounds, or HP will negotiate some way to view nation-locked content.

It's not just HP, all media providers are gonna have to come to terms with a globe-trotting customer base using their iPads, Androids, or whatever. Prolly won't happen soon, but it's gonna have to happen.

And yes, I could totally use my Touchpad for 90% of what I do, except that I'm a programmer, and unless I get access to a Citrix session, I'll need a PC to do my work.
    I know it's not HP's fault but now that we're moving to streamed content the providers need to associate content with a user not a region.
  11.    #11  
    I know it's not HP's fault but now that we're moving to streamed content the providers need to associate content with a user not a region.
    Exactly. But we're so far ahead of those media execs that I think we'll all be disappointed in how long it takes them to figure it out.

DVDs are simple. I make a DVD, I sell it at a big-box, you buy it. I get money.

Streaming is really too hard to incorporate into that model. And big ships turn slowly.
    I have been having real trouble with not only not seeing videos (current problem) but getting a DVD ripper that makes mp4 videos that are compatible with the Touchpad. I use DVDFab and can watch all of the videos on the iPAD with no problems. Is anyne using DVDFab or another Rip software that is reliable with the Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    I use DVD Fab for all my ripping, however I rip to a single vob, process that thru Video Redo Quick Stream Fix to get a mpg and then thru WinFF to end with a mp4 file. That is the process I used for my entire dvd collection. For the TP I have started to process any mp4 that I want to view with DVD Fab's convert to IPad m4v. These m4v's seem to play just fine.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Quote Originally Posted by thefeatherman View Post
    I have been having real trouble with not only not seeing videos (current problem) but getting a DVD ripper that makes mp4 videos that are compatible with the Touchpad. I use DVDFab and can watch all of the videos on the iPAD with no problems. Is anyne using DVDFab or another Rip software that is reliable with the Touchpad?
    I use Handbrake and convert it to the standard iPad format/template. It creates .m4v files and my Touchpad plays them fine.
    Last edited by ericblackdv; 07/16/2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Isn't it that the movie files have to be under 1gb for the Touchpad to play them?
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadSexington View Post
    Isn't it that the movie files have to be under 1gb for the Touchpad to play them?
    No. My movies are about 1.4GB - 1.7GB and they play fine.
    - Maybe you are thinking of the box.net limitation?

So, has anyone else used the "MP4 Video Converter Factory" that is suggested (recommended?) by WiFi Media Sync? If you have WFMS, look under "Extras" in the server app.

FWIW, my own experience with Handbrake was never that satisfactory. It always seemed like it used too much CPU and I could never seem to get the settings just the way I wanted them.

But my experience with MP4 Video Converter Factory has been very good. It seems really fast, lower CPU usage and simple to use, just selecting the "MP4 Movie" setting.

I haven't had a problem not finding movies after converting them using this tool. It's freeware if anyone's interested.

Also, using the MP3tag utility, I've been able to add DVD art to the *.mp4 file in lieu of seeing the filename.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I haven't been able to play movies larger than 2Gb on my touchpad. I think that's the limit.
    I haven't been able to play movies larger than 2Gb on my touchpad. I think that's the limit.
    Yep, FAT32 (the filesystem used) limitation

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    fyi, handbrake can create mp4's direct from dvd's. You dont need to rip it first.
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast