1.    #1  
    So I had this whole thread posted but I accidentally hit back on my browser and everything I had written was gone.

So short and sweet, I have two touchpads that differ in brightness. I replaced the dimmer one for a new one but the new one is still not as bright as my second one.

To dismiss variables, I set auto-dim to off on both, put brightness on full on both, rebooted boot. Same results.

Im worried now that there are discrepancies in the manufacturing process that causes some screens to brighter and others to be dimmer.

So does anyone else have a method with which they can compare their touchpad screens to other touchpads out in the wild?

Thanks and take care in webos land.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (257.6 KB, 88 views)
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    This isn't exactly relevant to the topic, but my AT&T black iPhone 4 screen is brighter than my sister's Verizon white iPhone 4 screen. It is possible that they have more than one LCD manufacturer for the TP.

Also, I wished my Touchpad was a little bit brighter than it is. Oh well..
    TP + P3 = synergized
    I have no problem with briteness, infact its too brite for me wide open and I like it about 3/4 inch to left of maximum.

on edit
    I have no other problems at all other than it still does not like my wifi at work. But they seem to be coming to an understanding because every day the tp seems to like the work wifi a little better. I don't understand it but its like the tp is "learning the wifi"
    Considering I keep mine at about 25% brightness anyway, this really isn't an issue for me. I guess it depends on how bright you want your screen. I tend to stay on the dim side.
    yes, most likely they use more than one source for the lcds and you are seeing the difference but both within normal operating range.

Quote Originally Posted by PR3mier View Post
    This isn't exactly relevant to the topic, but my AT&T black iPhone 4 screen is brighter than my sister's Verizon white iPhone 4 screen. It is possible that they have more than one LCD manufacturer for the TP.

Also, I wished my Touchpad was a little bit brighter than it is. Oh well..
    Post this on HP support site.
    Similar thing is happening with galaxy s, but there is an app and kernel drivers which allows users to recalibrate colors and gama.
    I recall this with previous iPod releases, as well... some would be brighter/whiter than others and it all came down to different sources for the panel.
    I returned my launch day one yesterday because of a dead pixel and got a new one. Well long story short my new TP isnt nearly as bright as the launch day one....weird
    I think there is some brightness issue going on. Mine fluctuates in weird ways (with auto-dimming off). I seem to have a lemon, this is just one of several hardware issues my touchpad is having
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    I think there is some brightness issue going on. Mine fluctuates in weird ways (with auto-dimming off). I seem to have a lemon, this is just one of several hardware issues my touchpad is having
    People, the webOS kernel (incl. 3.0) has ALWAYS supported power save features. The "auto dim" tries to optimize the screen brightness based on the ambient around the touchpad. (My Sharp Aquos has a sensor for this feature and I find it equally annoying on it.)

When the battery falls below certain thresholds, the kernel will activate power save profiles and will begin to dim the screen while in use, turn off the screen more frequently, and sleep the radios more often. This is to maximize the length of usage on the device so you can get that last little bit out of them. Pre and TPad exhibit the same.