Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 1 Post By kjb86
  1.    #1  
    Got bored after dinner so I went down to the Best Buy down the street. They had a HUGE banner covering the entire door (sorry, didn't take a pic).

Walked inside, no HP booth like the US Best Buys, just a small tablet booth alongside with the other Android tablets on display, but it was front row center when you see the pile of tablets. No apps were installed on it other than Angry Birds HD.

Everything did feel familiar, I basically just started swiping away.

Some impressions:

- For the heck of it I tapped my Veer onto it, nothing happened. The A6s didn't want to talk.

- Adobe Reader: does feel a lot more polished than the (god awful) PDF reader on the phones. I tried one PDF that will crash, didn't seem to do so. I have another PDF I could've tried, but I can't.

- Orientation Lock: I WANT THAT ON MY PHONE! Would be very useful when I'm lying down on my sofa to be able to lock my screen and stop it from rotating.

- Maps: It's Bing Maps now, and does open a lot faster than Google Maps. However the pinch and zoom smoothness still not quite polished.

- Browser: A lot more pages open with (a buggy) desktop view. For starters, GMail did NOT play nice with the browser at all. Tapping on emails would "flash" the keyboard out for no reason, and ended up couldn't open my email to get the other PDF I wanted to test.

- YouTube: It's no longer an actual app, just an icon that launches a dummy card and then a browser on the YouTube page. I wished they would spend more time and develop an actual app. After loading, I think it loads a "light" version of the YouTube browser, so I couldn't change resolution of the video I was playing (supposedly one that has 1080p).

- Speakers: Amazing quality. I cranked it up, no crackling or anything. That's one thing I really liked, the speakers on my sis' iPad was pretty crappy.

Overall, it still could use some polishing, but I can see this being on the market for a while along with the others. However, being a general tablet hater, it has not convinced me to get one, especially how in Canada there are practically no plans to launch the phones (Pre3 doesn't even show up on the HP page and TTS is removed as a feature), it really doesn't have any differentiators to even try to convince me. I'll stick to my trusty ThinkPad X120e.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 07/15/2011 at 09:20 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    sorli likes this.
    good one, I wonder how would be Opal? I guess must be running 3.02 or some other optimized version. two together if one has one would be deadly
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    strange that the best buy you went to was like that.

futureshop and staples have done a good job. They have their own section for the tab decked out. Staples staff seem very good.

thou I have noticed if you walk in and ask 'touchpad' they all have to question that its hp
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post

futureshop and staples have done a good job. They have their own section for the tab decked out. Staples staff seem very good.

thou I have noticed if you walk in and ask 'touchpad' they all have to question that its hp
    Probably because Staples sells PC touchpads. So, I would imagine the quick clarification is required.

"Why is the screen so dark?"
    one thing I've noticed lately is a serious lack of "show off" apps on the denos.

when I look at the ipad, it has garage band, drawing apps, document apps, etc etc downloaded to it.

I tried to beef up the tp with some of the good free apps, but couldn't because of no user profile.

the tp demo is sparse and looks very ... I dunno "weak"... In terms of stuff to actually try out.
    Just saw the Touchpad at Future shop at Yonge and Dundas, and I have to say that even though I'm not in the market for a tablet, I really was impressed with it. A LOT. The unit I had was silky smooth. I didn't experience any buggyness. And I spent practially 20 minutes explaining to the guy next to me talking about WebOS. It was a nice moment when he asked about flash on the iPad. And I tried to sell him on getting a touchstone.

Overall, I was actually very impressed. After reading the reviews, I was expecting a sluggish, bug infested mess, but it's not at all. I'm sure if I used it for a while, the cracks would show, but hey, the same could be said about any platform.

I wasn't thinking about getting one, but now...
  7.    #7  

Well it probably didn't help that I was there 30 mins before closing time...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

The Best Buy here in Edmonton had a little booth with two touchpads running on it. Above it were the accessories. The sales person seemed pretty psyched about the product. I just bought it without the extra warranty even though I knew they were going to pitch it to me.
    yeah fair enough.

all I can say is that I am very glad I got the touchpad. I never used to think tabs were useful but now I definitely like the idea, the portability of it.

this thing is just awesome. Ive experienced 0 problems. 0 lag (only when all my apps and accounts were syncing over). 2
    tp's and 2 touchstones later I cant put this thing down.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The Best Buy here in Edmonton had a little booth with two touchpads running on it. Above it were the accessories. The sales person seemed pretty psyched about the product. I just bought it without the extra warranty even though I knew they were going to pitch it to me.
    I told the guy a head of time to not even bother asking me for it.

still trying to find 2 cases thou. One best buy had only 2 touchstones come in today so those are gone now thanks to my buying power lol
    I think it does a pretty good job with Flash to be honest with you. Sure it lags for a sec but not long after its nice and smooth. I could even play a facebook game that was like a little adventure game. Ran pac man also but since it's keyboard driven I couldn't move him.. Lol. I think the internet connection and speed plays a big role in how well Flash works.
    When I went to buy mine in Glendale, CA at BB, there was a lady with a WebOS polo standing next to the stand. It was lumped with the other tablets sort of, not totally like the Apple stuff, but all the HP stuff was on the same stand.

There were two tablets to play with, a 32gb and a 16gb, and the webos lady pulled out another untethered 32gb for me to play with. It was really nice not being tethered to the booth to play with it. She had all of her personal accounts synced to the device and all the apps purchased in the catalog for me to play with. I taught her some stuff she didn't know, but she was overall very up to speed, and probably the only reason I bought mine then and there, when I really only went to check it out. The tethered ones had that demo app and totally killed the experience. They really need to remove those. It was quite a joy to use at the store, and I wish all the other BB's out there were like this one...

The galaxy tab lady came by while we were talking and started ragging on the webos lady for only selling 4 while she had sold 8. I guess they have sales quotas they need to hit, which is another reason why I got it that day. Just to throw it in the Gtab's face!
    I find it odd that you were sent to a "light" version of youtube. I go into normal youtube when I launch the "app" (i.e. shortcut for browser). It opens up to the normal page and I can easily select 1080 and watch them (a bit jittery) for any video. 720 videos play 100% perfectly with no jitter or hiccups at all. 1080 jitter just ever so slightly, not a problem at all for me, but some might call it "unusable"...
    1080P Video is kinda pointless on a Tablet. 720P runs great for me too. I just copied a few movies onto my tablet and converted them with AVS. For some reason that takes a long time, even with a fairly speedy quad core. Plays nicely on the tablet though and in stereo. I use the Sansa High Quality 640x480 mp4 with 128Kb stereo audio.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I find it odd that you were sent to a "light" version of youtube. I go into normal youtube when I launch the "app" (i.e. shortcut for browser). It opens up to the normal page and I can easily select 1080 and watch them (a bit jittery) for any video. 720 videos play 100% perfectly with no jitter or hiccups at all. 1080 jitter just ever so slightly, not a problem at all for me, but some might call it "unusable"...
    It's not the entire YouTube site that was "light", it is the desktop version of the page. It's the Flash YouTube player itself, I couldn't find any of the options.

But for some reason the browser just didn't want to play nice with me yesterday, as I mentioned even Gmail didn't want to work.

Got bored after dinner so I went down to the Best Buy down the street. They had a HUGE banner covering the entire door (sorry, didn't take a pic).
    You mean a huge banner like this;

Way to go HP Thats what my BestBuy had..

Every store (FS,BB,Sta) they all say the same thing with that deer-in-headlights stare...."You want an iPad? Don't you want an iPad?"

I don't fault them for it.....they probably get asked 50 times a day for one... But you'd think that the few days before, or the day OF launch they'd know what products they are selling and what the odds are of someone coming into buy said products.

That's usually when I whip out the Pre and show it to them and then they start asking me about webOS and how I like it etc, etc.

If I thought I liked the Pre before....nothing compared to the way I like the TouchPad. I'm sure I'll start finding things here and there that annoy me, but it's still the honeymoon so I'll ride them coattails as long as I can
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    You mean a huge banner like this;

Way to go HP Thats what my BestBuy had..
    Exactly... just picture that with a Touchpad. Maybe I'll stop by to get a pic today.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Exactly... just picture that with a Touchpad. Maybe I'll stop by to get a pic today.
    i saw 1 at the BB I went too. If I drive by I'll snap a pic but I know what you're talking about
  20.    #20