Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    How would I go about doing a hard reset on the TP? I've tried searching but all I can see is the normal reset. I want to reset my TP back to the factory settings and erase all data. Taking it back to BB today.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    How would I go about doing a hard reset on the TP? I've tried searching but all I can see is the normal reset. I want to reset my TP back to the factory settings and erase all data. Taking it back to BB today.
    go to the settings tab->system info->reset options

do a full secure erase. Takes a couple hours but it erases back to 'out of the box' state and overwrites flash with what I think is a DOD3 erase protocol from what I have read. It just rewrites random bits to memory a few times over.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by provost View Post
    go to the settings tab->system info->reset options

do a full secure erase. Takes a couple hours but it erases back to 'out of the box' state and overwrites flash with what I think is a DOD3 erase protocol from what I have read. It just rewrites random bits to memory a few times over.
    Thanks, I never thought about looking under there. I thought it was some combination of button presses.

Hopefully the next couple of OTA updates (plus increased number of apps) will get me coming back to this in 2 - 4 weeks.
    returns are what cause reps to steer customers away from particular products. It's a shame to see one being returned with hopes of buying another one in a month or two.
    bevcraw likes this.
    No kidding that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. If you are coming back just keep it, that is silly as hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    returns are what cause reps to steer customers away from particular products. It's a shame to see one being returned with hopes of buying another one in a month or two.
    You can't blame it on the user to return the product because of the bugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    No kidding that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. If you are coming back just keep it, that is silly as hell.
    How do you know if HP is going to fix all the bugs in few weeks? What if it takes 6+ months. He was hoping it's fix in few weeks. But I doubt he will buy it back if it doesn't. I think it's smart move to return the product, you don't have to frustrated with the gadget.
    or not buy it in the first place. Returns are what sunk Palm. Granted the returns may have been justified, but the practice of buying something with the intention of returning it hurts the sales rep and the brand reputation.

ps, I'm not saying the OP did that. Only that it has the same effect.
    You and all other people pointed out that the tech reviewers are useless. Best way is to go out and try it out for yourself. And you can't really find all the problem while you are using the display model. I really doubt the OP bought to just return the product. I am sure he tried his best to use the product and I guess it's not worth it to get frustrated. It's his money. It's 100% HP's fault that people are returning the product. Just hope that HP fixes the problem in short time, and get all those customers back to the touchpad soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    You and all other people pointed out that the tech reviewers are useless. Best way is to go out and try it out for yourself. And you can't really find all the problem while you are using the display model. I really doubt the OP bought to just return the product. I am sure he tried his best to use the product and I guess it's not worth it to get frustrated. It's his money. It's 100% HP's fault that people are returning the product. Just hope that HP fixes the problem in short time, and get all those customers back to the touchpad soon.
    Amen!

HP seems to have taken a cynical approach by releasing TouchPad with known, glaring issues to be fixed "in the coming months". No product will ever be perfect, but we've seen this movie before with the Pre and Pixi.

This time around, even the webOS faithful may need repeated proof that HP fulfills its commitments before making a discretionary purchase. Otherwise, they will completely loose credibility and might as well kiss off the $1.2B invested in Palm.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimOhara View Post
    You really shouldn't call someone dumb you know!

I returned the TP because quite frankly it just didn't live up to my expectations and there were too many bugs/annoyances/things missing.

Also, if you re-read my original posts perhaps you'll see that I'm not dumb. I didn't say that I was for sure going to re-buy one. I said I will wait for the next 2 OTA updates. The bottom line is it's my money and if I am not satisfied with a product then why should I keep it?

I've already seen some of the fixes in the OTA (since I am a WebOS dev) and they are definitely addressing some of the items, but quite frankly these fixes should have been in the original release.

At least I am still keeping my mind open to the fact that HP might start to correct their wrongs.