1.    #1  
    I have a 32G touchpad since yesterday afternoon -- i installed the weatherbug app and it geolocated my location -- I was tied to the WIFI at home and it came up with the house next door. I figured it was something in my wifi at home that told it where i was -- I opened trapster ( came across from my phone -- it showed me in the exact right spot. now i am sitting in my work trailer with the TP hooked up through free tether and the the gelocation is working perfect -- the map app , trapster and weatherbug all place me in the exact right position (trapster will say that it cannot talk to the GPS then show me in the right spot) -- trapster will not show me moving and i will mess with this on the way home to see how quickly it reports the correct position. My question is this -- no GPS -- no Cellular connection so i guess no AGPS -- how does it know where i am?

Also -- you can connect a bluetooth GPS antenna to the touchpad but it just stays grey and does not connect. in case anyone was thinking about buying one
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I believe it gets its location from where the wifi is. Im on Verizon and usually I cant get a location at all. But when I am connected to wifi, it locks on real fast.
  3.    #3  
    well ok -- but i cannot think of anything on my hub at home that would give such an accurate position and right now i am using free tether on my pre 2 -- the phone is not using bluetooth so how is the touchpad getting any location signal? it doesn't have gps - cannot access AGPS - i think -- since it has not 3g connection and there are no cell towers to triangulate so how is it getting its position??
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Try turning your GPS off on your phone while connected to your wifi and see if you still get a location. Im not smart enough to understand how it works. lol. I just know wifi sends a location somehow.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    There are databases out there that indicate that specific WiFi routers are located at certain GPS locations. For example, when the Google StreetView cars are driving around taking pictures, they also scanned for Wifi routers and recorded what they found.

While not always accurate, they at least give you an idea of where you're at. When you do a GPS lookup on the Pre, it would first report the location as the nearest tower to you, then it would try to return the location based on Wifi signals near you, then finally it would use the actual GPS radio to get a specific location. That's why if you left the Maps app open, your location would shift a couple times over 5 seconds.

It's not just looking at the Wifi that you're using, it's comparing all the signals near you, so Freetether's not magically doing something to use your phone's GPS radio to find you.
    I think it may be tied into the ip leased by your provider. Your provider knows where you live and where that specific ip (I'm not talking about a class c privatized ip you get from your router) for service is sent to. Your router uses this and then uses NATing in order to have multiple users on the same line. Google would never be able to get this info, if they did then it would be a violation. Besides google is not constantly wardriving so you can rule them out. Anyone can get a new router, SSID is what's broadcasted and this info can be changed at any time.

You need multiple antennas for triangulation also, so if you think that a single wifi router can give specific gps coordinates that would be some high tech miracle. To test this theory, connect to another ap (hopefully it's unlocked) with the weakest but usable signal (this should be the farthest ap from your house, then again it could be obstructions in the way degrading the signals) and see if your gps coordinates are spot on from the same place.

I also posted this in another post but no tried it out:
    "Also, turn wifi on but do not connect to any access points and run the test. I'm curious as to what results you would get. I've heard people say that the agps module needs wwan module in order to exist, but gps does not since it does not require cell tower assisting. People still get the 2 mixed up. Remember the wifi version ipad has gps.

Downloaded the spec sheet from qualcomm regarding their new Snapdragon_8x60 lineup, here what was listed for gps: gpsOne Gen 8 with GNSS Standalone, Assisted, gpsOneXTRA, 2dB improvement vs. Gen 7

Don't know what to make of it since it says standalone and assisted, no exceptions listed. It's vague and unclear if it is all or nothing.

All I can say is, I don't think there is a gps on/off switch on the touchpad. Since gps if a form of wireless communication it kinda sorta makes some sense that it's control would be tied in with the wireless on/off switch. So to test whether standalone gps (not agps, which we all know can"t possibly exist since there is no wireless carrier connection) exists leave the wifi on without connecting to a network."
  7.    #7  
    as far as i know there is no gps chip in the wifi only touchpad -- i think jsabo has an explanation that works for me -- what i have found is that independant of the phone after a few minutes in an area that has a few known wifi signals around the touchpad has so far come up with fairly acurate locations -- this is from google services which i am beginning to think is exactly as described above it looks around at available signals -- wifi and determines your location by these. i may be wrong but it rings true. it cannot triangulate on cell signals -- no cell -- no gps this is what makes sense -- it is surprisingly acurate
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    There are databases out there that indicate that specific WiFi routers are located at certain GPS locations. For example, when the Google StreetView cars are driving around taking pictures, they also scanned for Wifi routers and recorded what they found.
    It should be noted that they're not allowed to do this anymore.

However, pretty much every Android cellphone does the same thing. Even the Pre does it if you turn on anonymous data collection in location services.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

However, pretty much every Android cellphone does the same thing. Even the Pre does it if you turn on anonymous data collection in location services.
    jhoff80,

While this is true what scares me is how accurate the geo location on the Touchpad is. Not complaining, just overly impressed.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

i don't know that they are not allowed to do it so much as once the masses found out they were doing it there was great uproar -- with webos you have always had the option of opting in or opting out of sharing this information. Since i will not likely be using my touchpad as an alibi in a murder case in the near future i am allowing them to get anonomous information from my phone and tablet -- i live a boring life and would welcome someone finding it interesting enough to spy on
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i don't know that they are not allowed to do it so much as once the masses found out they were doing it there was great uproar -- with webos you have always had the option of opting in or opting out of sharing this information.
    Judge: Google Can Be Sued for Wiretapping in Street View Debacle | Threat Level | Wired.com

They're allowed to do it on the phones, but what was illegal was collecting the data from the Street View cars.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They are allowed as long as they ask up front. When you create your Palm Profile there is a Google data EULA you can agree or disagree with.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    I think the issue with Google was that they went beyond just geotagging the Wifi routers that they saw, but actually were sniffing traffic. So if you didn't have encryption turned on, they might have picked up your email or passwords.

I think they'd still be allowed to geotag, as long as they don't try to sniff.
    google skyhook and read how it works part.....amazing stuff