Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i heard of the yellow tint due to glue... but i thought that as it dried it was clear so not defect/quality issue. heck they are shipping it the moment it is assembled and ready... even shipping it driectly from china... fresh from the oven

also the screens? LG... korean.
    Not to go too much off topic, but aren't the assembly of the devices in China? I'm sure the parts come from all over Asia to save $$$. Folks still returned some of the ones with the yellowing screens thinking the devices were defective. I looked over at the iPad forums and some of the Android forums and suddenly I didn't feel so bad. Everyone is having some problems with build quality and in my analysis it is pointing to where their product is being built. The company who contracted out the product (in this case HP, for the yellowing issue Apple) is still ultimately responsible for whatever defect is found and it is their job to clean up quality issues.

BTW, I read too much of this stuff! I need to take a break from tech news.
    yes they did replace a number of them i believe... that's what's gonna happen when you get new calls on issues like these and the reason hasnt been determined.

just like oreos... you replace the heck out of them until you find out its not a defect but a feature ... ok a design flaw.

but the yellowish effect is not a defect or quality issue if it goes away once the glue is dry. if you had swedes put the unit together they would be using the same glue and shipping it out.

but maybe they would wait 24 hours more in storage for it to dry or something so that people would not have to see the glue drying.

yep, this stuff is the same on all forums. that's why i feel finding these things and posting about it is normal... and good for the product. otherwise companies wont address issues fast enough if they are not made to light.

Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Not to go too much off topic, but aren't the assembly of the devices in China? I'm sure the parts come from all over Asia to save $$$. Folks still returned some of the ones with the yellowing screens thinking the devices were defective. I looked over at the iPad forums and some of the Android forums and suddenly I didn't feel so bad. Everyone is having some problems with build quality and in my analysis it is pointing to where their product is being built. The company who contracted out the product (in this case HP, for the yellowing issue Apple) is still ultimately responsible for whatever defect is found and it is their job to clean up quality issues.

BTW, I read too much of this stuff! I need to take a break from tech news.
    also, we'll have to see if replacements dont crack. some people that post make it sound like, even though they may not have looked for it initially, that their tps were crack free out of box and then appeared after use. we'll see.

maybe hp thinks it is a batch then thats why they'll replace it. they have no choice really even if they know its a design issue and the new backs are not ready... they'll just spin it initially and say it's only 1% and keep replacing while they make the redesign. if only a smaller percentage of those replacements have cracks then they are ok.

if over time we see that all of the tps start cracking... then they will have a bigger issue on their hands.
    I know mine was not cracked when I got it. After the USB cracking debacle on the Pre, I checked it with a flashlight from top to bottom, front to back. Didn't notice a crack had formed until after reading this thread.

I hate conspiracy theories. Enough said on that. I also know better. I studied to be an aeronautical engineer for a short period of time. Then joined the military as a helicopter mechanic, before switching my studies to computer networking. I had to learn structural design. I also had to stop-drill cracks on helicopters (made of metal, I might add). It doesn't matter what material you make your product from (unless it's diamond) or how well you design it, it can still crack if it is under stress, not handled well, or assembled wrong. They can change the design and expose another weak point. Not trying to scare anybody but that's just life.

Either way HP is responsible to replace it if it does crack. You have a 365 day manufacturer's defect warranty so if you find a crack use it.
    yes they did replace a number of them i believe... that's what's gonna happen when you get new calls on issues like these and the reason hasnt been determined.

just like oreos... you replace the heck out of them until you find out its not a defect but a feature ... ok a design flaw.

but the yellowish effect is not a defect or quality issue if it goes away once the glue is dry. if you had swedes put the unit together they would be using the same glue and shipping it out.

but maybe they would wait 24 hours more in storage for it to dry or something so that people would not have to see the glue drying.

yep, this stuff is the same on all forums. that's why i feel finding these things and posting about it is normal... and good for the product. otherwise companies wont address issues fast enough if they are not made to light.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, but you know what 'would' have gone a long way in mitigating the cracking issue, without ditching plastic.....

The rubbery matte finish. That simple addition to the entire exterior plastic casing would have increased the structural integrity enough that I highly doubt any of these fractures would have occurred.

That said, then people would complain even more about the added weight. Hah! D'd if you do & D'd if you don't. Couple added durability with a more pleasing surface...I'd take that any day.
    I dropped off my old Touchpad at my local UPS Store for shipment back to HP. Took a look at the address it was being shipped to:

ATTN FOXCONN
    HP PLMGBU AE PROGRAM
    STE 200
    360A AMERICAS
    EL PASO TX 79907

I bolded and underlined the part of the address I wanted everyone to see. Appears that Foxconn is involved in this. For those of you who don't know, Foxconn is a Chinese company that makes the iPhone, iPad, iPad2, and now the Touchpad. They are contracted out by Apple, HP, and others. So clevin, what do you think of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, but you know what 'would' have gone a long way in mitigating the cracking issue, without ditching plastic.....

The rubbery matte finish. That simple addition to the entire exterior plastic casing would have increased the structural integrity enough that I highly doubt any of these fractures would have occurred.

That said, then people would complain even more about the added weight. Hah! D'd if you do & D'd if you don't. Couple added durability with a more pleasing surface...I'd take that any day.
    Isn't xoom like that? Is it heavier than touchpad?
    I dropped off my old Touchpad at my local UPS Store for shipment back to HP. Took a look at the address it was being shipped to:

ATTN FOXCONN
    HP PLMGBU AE PROGRAM
    STE 200
    360A AMERICAS
    EL PASO TX 79907

I bolded and underlined the part of the address I wanted everyone to see. Appears that Foxconn is involved in this. For those of you who don't know, Foxconn is a Chinese company that makes the iPhone, iPad, iPad2, and now the Touchpad. They are contracted out by Apple, HP, and others. So clevin, what do you think of that?
    Right, which apple product, made by foxconn, has 1% of unit with crack cases?

Or acer, asus, intel, dell, nokia, cisco, sony, microsoft products?

Foxxonn is an assembly line, they don't make plastic cases.

Your accusation is very inappropriate and without any evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Right, which apple product, made by foxconn, has 1% of unit with crack cases?

Or acer, asus, intel, dell, nokia, cisco, sony, microsoft products?

Foxxonn is an assembly line, they don't make plastic cases.

Your accusation is very inappropriate and without any evidence.
    How is it inappropriate to point out that the same company makes all these products? You can google it for the evidence of that. I don't think anything else is needed since this is not a court of law and I am not taking legal action against any parties involved in this fiasco. I'm pointing out that all these products have some type of widely reported problem that is not necessarily a design issue. That problem could be caused by simply putting it together wrong. Putting something together wrong is something an engineer or designer cannot design out. Case in point, if you torque a screw on an item outsided of the engineered limits is it your fault that the item failed or is it the engineer's fault. I would say it is yours.

We really don't know what the extent of the cracking is or how many Touchpads it effects. However, unless it is effecting all of them then it is not a design issue. This could be a whole lot of other things.

I brought this up because I find it odd that every time I seem to have a problem with something it is "made in China" and every time that problem is with something electronic it was "put together by Foxconn". Either way I hold the company who's logo is on the product ultimately responsible for the product.

Edit: BTW, Foxconn's issues with Apple products seem to effect the screens not being put together correctly (light bleeding on iPad2 and yellowing caused by undried glue on iPhone4). Apple also came close to firing them for problems with their laptops two years ago.
    Edit: BTW, Foxconn's issues with Apple products seem to effect the screens not being put together correctly (light bleeding on iPad2 and yellowing caused by undried glue on iPhone4). Apple also came close to firing them for problems with their laptops two years ago.
    Actually, isn't Apple moving a lot of their new orders to Pegatron and away from Foxconn right now???
    Quote Originally Posted by jtfolden View Post
    Actually, isn't Apple moving a lot of their new orders to Pegatron and away from Foxconn right now???
    I saw a two year old story that said that Apple was moving laptop manufacturing away from them because of quality issues and Foxconn was competing with them. However, it was a Registry story so I don't know whether to trust it or not. I do know their name has popped up as the "assembly line" for a few products I have seen problems with. Enough times for me to notice. I suspected that they put the Touchpad together and I think the address to send the broken ones to proves that.

Edit: I think this story is from Digitimes which is not that reliable. Every story I checked on this links them as the source.
    I saw a two year old story that said that Apple was moving laptop manufacturing away from them because of quality issues and Foxconn was competing with them. However, it was a Registry story so I don't know whether to trust it or not. I do know their name has popped up as the "assembly line" for a few products I have seen problems with. Enough times for me to notice. I suspected that they put the Touchpad together and I think the address to send the broken ones to proves that.
    Yes, I do remember something about laptops a while back, maybe the original Macbook Air in particular. A couple articles I just read last week were reporting that iPhone 5's and iPad 3's were now being manufactured at Pegatron with the iPhone due by early September and the new iPad by the end of November. I've seen mixed reports on whether Foxconn will share production duties on the iPad or left out alltogether.
    Yes, I do remember something about laptops a while back, maybe the original Macbook Air in particular. A couple articles I just read last week were reporting that iPhone 5's and iPad 3's were now being manufactured at Pegatron with the iPhone due by early September and the new iPad by the end of November. I've seen mixed reports on whether Foxconn will share production duties on the iPad or left out alltogether.
    jtfolden,

We don't want to drift too far off topic. Whether this was caused by Foxconn or not really doesn't matter. This is HP's fault and they need to fix it.
    i have been going back and forth and chose to get my Touchpad replaced. it has 2 tiny cracks one on each side of a speaker. they are barely perceptable and if i had not read this thread or webos roundup i might not have noticed them -- i am not sure if they were there when i received the device or not. it has been handled gingerly and never dropped. I am afraid that they will grow and this is my main reason for getting it replaced. I had a hard time getting HP butler rep to finially send the advanced replacement. they wanted me to call QVC and get them to replace it as they would give me a new one ( they are sold out by the way) they told me over and over that i would be getting a refurb device. they told me i would have to lay down a 365 dollar deposit -- it was continuous until i finally said that i wanted the replacement and that was that -- hopefully there have not been that many returns yet and they will have to send me a new device to replace mine ..
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Isn't xoom like that? Is it heavier than touchpad?
    So you're implying that adding a rubber matte coating layer to the existing plastic layer would somehow weigh less? Misplaced snark.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Not having the 'rubbery matte finish' on the TouchPad is one of the major goof ups by HP. I love the 'rubbery matte finish' on the back of my Pre+ and I really cannot understand why HP did not have the same for the TouchPad. This is specially so, considering the publicly stated goal of HP to target the TouchPad at the enterprise market. Flashy & shiny, to me, is something that is targetted more at the female consumer. Which also explains the trend of almost all consumer electronics donning the shiny, flashy look. Even the darn screens themselves have only gotten shinnier and almost mirror like.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I have to admit I was amazed the TP got a shiny backside out of the gate. Another questionable design choice.
    when you use the OEM cover it adds the rubbery matte finish -- i think this was HP's thinking -- i have had the cover on since i took the tp out of the box and have never even noticed the shiney finish -- like i said i think this is what HP was thinking -- make them buy a case too
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I have to admit I was amazed the TP got a shiny backside out of the gate. Another questionable design choice.
    I have yet to find one person who doesn't get a cover for their tablet. I think a person has to be nitpicky to complain about something that the vast majority of people cover up and will probably never see again until it is time to get rid of the device. If the front of the device has weird looking with an odd color I feel that it would be worth the time and effort to waist words on, but the back? Might as well be upset over the size and color of the HP logo on the back.

I thought this thread was about build quality, not fashion. Even if it was about fashion, the back of the device would be the equivalent of underwear. Unless you are wearing something revealing or you are in the emergency room (as my mom would warn me) no one will see your underwear.
    For me, keeping a product pristine is all about the resale value.

The decision to buy (or not) a product is balanced by how much I think I can reasonably sell my product-to-be-replaced for. While a hidden crack might not affect me, it certainly affects my resale value.

My current laptop is a mess: but that's different because I can part it out, but I can't easily do that with a phone or tablet.
Page 9 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast