Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Finally able to get a decent camera on this. See pic...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    steffej3 - If my crack was pointed in that direction I would be looking for a replacement for sure - my crack is like the one pictured at webosroundup, it doesn't really have anyplace to spread to so I will stick with my known issue. Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by shrxwin View Post
    steffej3 - If my crack was pointed in that direction I would be looking for a replacement for sure - my crack is like the one pictured at webosroundup, it doesn't really have anyplace to spread to so I will stick with my known issue. Good Luck!
    Yeah, I'm replacing it. I'm going the refurb route. It goes without saying, but I was assured the refurbs pass full quality inspection, which can just be said, but it makes me feel better to have him say that. I have a house full of refurb electronics, so I'm not worried...and even hoping that by some grace they have made an important change to eliminate this issue.

I bought the thing at Wal-Mart so I could get it at midnight of launch...which, and sorry for the snobbery, I NEVER buy from Wal-Mart. So at this point, logical or not, I trust HP more than I do an exchanged product at Wal-Mart.

This is a really bittersweet moment though. I don't know the psychology behind it, but it always felt really good knowing I soldiered through some cosmetic issues with the Pre. But, this isn't a Pre, and I certainly want to be sure I protect this investment.

Cheers all. And best of luck to those who haven't had this happen. I truly hope it's an isolated batch.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Yeah, I'm replacing it. I'm going the refurb route. It goes without saying, but I was assured the refurbs pass full quality inspection, which can just be said, but it makes me feel better to have him say that. I have a house full of refurb electronics, so I'm not worried...and even hoping that by some grace they have made an important change to eliminate this issue.

I bought the thing at Wal-Mart so I could get it at midnight of launch...which, and sorry for the snobbery, I NEVER buy from Wal-Mart. So at this point, logical or not, I trust HP more than I do an exchanged product at Wal-Mart.

This is a really bittersweet moment though. I don't know the psychology behind it, but it always felt really good knowing I soldiered through some cosmetic issues with the Pre. But, this isn't a Pre, and I certainly want to be sure I protect this investment.

Cheers all. And best of luck to those who haven't had this happen. I truly hope it's an isolated batch.
    I'm about to go through the same thing. There is a small crack near my left speaker. I think there is one near the right also but it is so small it is hard to tell. I would not have noticed either one of them if I didn't know to look. Just got off the phone with HP. They are sending another express (next business day) at no cost to me. I did have to give them a $365 deposit. The new one will be refurbished which the rep told me may mean that "the engineers corrected the problem with a better cover" but definitely means that the engineers checked the device and it is on par with a new product. I will check it when it arrives and if it is up to my standards I will send them my old one. If not I will give them a call. Regardless, I really don't want to give up my old one and I am going to be very sad to see it go. I have not had 1% of the problems reported by others in this forum. I hope I'm not trading a good device for one with other issues.

As a sidebar, the HP rep asked me what version of webOS I was running on my Touchpad. I was a little shocked because 3.0.0 is the only version available so far. After the transaction was over, I asked her why she asked me that. She told me that it was a standard question she was supposed to ask, even though 3.0.0 is the only version released. Of course I prodded her about 3.0.2 telling her that everyone was waiting patiently for it. She laughed and said that they (tech support) were waiting for it too. She also said that she had no new information on it. Bummer!
    I want to provide an update here. At approximately 3PM Eastern yesterday, I completed my call with HP support & put the deposit down on the refurb replacement unit. I was repeatedly told 2-3 business days.

My wife received the refurb TouchPad at 9:21 AM this morning. Amazing! Cracking aside, this is how customer service should work. It actually reminds me of the responsiveness of Amazon customer service. Just thought I'd post. Hopefully everyone else with this issue has a similar experience.
    Is it industry standard to replace this type of damaged/defect devices, developed within a month of release, with refurbished unit?
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    wow. Just saw this thread. The folks at Level3 support told me they estimate less than 1% of units were affected...my first unit suffered...showedup in the second week.
    They replaced it.
    I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Mike
    __
    Michael Compeau
    Red Zen Marketing . posterous . com
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Is it industry standard to replace this type of damaged/defect devices, developed within a month of release, with refurbished unit?
    I noted that in my survey response & on the phone call. I was assured that it would be for all intents a 'new' device & that it has to pass a strict QC to be allowed out the door. I could not be assured that it would result in a refined product less prone to the cracking issue. The guy literally said "don't worry, it will be just like a new unit." Enough for me.

I will say though, I have refurb PCs, a refurb 65in LCD, & several refurb monitors. I've never been burned & have repeatedly read that manufacturer refurbs get greater attention & more strict QC than assembly line units. That's debatable though, so just passing it on. I just hope they are correcting the issue & that's a part of the reason I worked with them & not my retailer.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Incredible. The Internet has SO increased the ability of the Customer to keep product creators 'honest' about defects... After reading the comments here, and experiencing a full on breakage of the 'crack issue' on my first TP32, i am beginning to think the issue is far larger than HP has let on.

so sad. ...when the engineers have lawyers and accountants looking over their shoulders...
    __
    Michael Compeau
    Red Zen Marketing . posterous . com
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Just got off the phone with HP. They are sending another express (next business day) at no cost to me. I did have to give them a $365 deposit.
    I just got a ring on my doorbell 5 minutes ago. The new Touchpad is here! This is insane! I call this in to HP yesterday at around 4pm EST. It's 10:20 EST now. These guys are freaking fast! I'm going to charge it up now. My wife won't let me touch it until we runs some errands. She knows I will spend the rest of the day with it just to get it right. She was just as shocked as I was. I'm going to post this in another thread today. Say what you want about HP but if they continue to have service like this, this Touchpad owner is staying!
    Last edited by k4ever; 07/29/2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Time was wrong. Was 1 hour earlier.
    I will say though, I have refurb PCs, a refurb 65in LCD, & several refurb monitors. I've never been burned & have repeatedly read that manufacturer refurbs get greater attention & more strict QC than assembly line units. That's debatable though, so just passing it on. I just hope they are correcting the issue & that's a part of the reason I worked with them & not my retailer.
    Both my Compaq (HP) desktop in my office, and my HP HTPC (probably 5 or 6 years old converted to HTPC about 2 years ago) have been refurbs.

I just got a ring on my doorbell 5 minutes ago. The new Touchpad is here! This is insane! I call this in to HP yesterday at around 4pm EST. It's 10:20 EST now. These guys are freaking fast! I'm going to charge it up now. My wife won't let me touch it until we runs some errands. She knows I will spend the rest of the day with it just to get it right. She was just as shocked as I was. I'm going to post this in another thread today. Say what you want about HP but if they continue to have service like this, this Touchpad owner is staying!
    Nice turn around time. I am waiting for my wife to kick my *** for playing with the TP every night.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    From the UK - my TP has cracks by both speakers, it is three weeks old and has lived in the HP accessory case since the moment I took the wrapper off. I bought from the HP store on-line who are replacing the faulty item with a new unit - I have to pack the whole device up and into original packing inc charger for collection next week. Disappointed in the hardware quality aspects as I've had a faulty charger already that has been changed - those HP Carepacks look like a neccessary expense now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicblue View Post
    From the UK - my TP has cracks by both speakers, it is three weeks old and has lived in the HP accessory case since the moment I took the wrapper off. I bought from the HP store on-line who are replacing the faulty item with a new unit - I have to pack the whole device up and into original packing inc charger for collection next week. Disappointed in the hardware quality aspects as I've had a faulty charger already that has been changed - those HP Carepacks look like a neccessary expense now.
    Yeah this "made in China" thing screams of problems. Almost every major tech company (to include HP and Apple) is contracting out the manufacturing of their devices to companies in Asia (mainly China) to save a few bucks on cheap labor. Either the devices are not being put together correctly, the Asian companies are using cheap parts, or no one is doing proper quality control. Then there is the damaged caused to most of the devices by poor handling during shipping. I can't imaging how many countries, ports, and warehouses my device went to before it arrive to the store in Georgia, USA. There hasn't been one portable electronic device I have purchased in the past 10 years that did not have some kind of flaw with it. It upsets me, but it comes with the territory. I know it is foolish and unrealistic to expect a product to not have flaws. I used to when I was younger but now I know better. I always make sure the store or website I buy from has a good exchange rate and I get additional insurance on devices that cost an arm and a leg.
    Really don't know. That may be normal & I have to be directly under a light to see it. It's only in that one corner, so it doesn't explain the left speaker crack. Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew about that type of stuff.

I'm with the other poster at this point, but I'd like to see if there are folks with these cracks that aren't using the folio case. I really think it might be added stress over time on an already weaker part of the design.
    I have been to (2) BB's and all display units had cracks at the speaker. None of these display units are in a case.
    Quote Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
    I have been to (2) BB's and all display units had cracks at the speaker. None of these display units are in a case.
    I wouldn't use a display unit as an example of what could happen to a normal device. Those things get the heck beat out of them by careless customers and their kids every hour that the store is open. They get treated as bad as rental cars. People could care less about taking care of them. Look at the display laptops in Walmart for example. I haven't seen one with all the keys on the keyboard yet.
    Yeah this "made in China" thing screams of problems.
    No, this god damn obsession to keep Pre-like device design is absolutely unexplainable and screams of problems. I can really understand Apple and their iPhone pattern, but keeping resemblance with most problematic device, like Pre was, is totally insane. I've picked up my Pre from drawer and it has same cracks going from USB to screen like that TP in OP.
    Last edited by chalx; 07/29/2011 at 06:37 PM.
    Yeah this "made in China" thing screams of problems.
    That statement is just wrong on so many levels.

There are many many many other gadgets "made in China" w/o problems, it's hp's design problem, blaming it on another country is just so wrong.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    That statement is just wrong on so many levels.

There are many many many other gadgets "made in China" w/o problems, it's hp's design problem, blaming it on another country is just so wrong.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    You want some examples? IPhone 4 screen turning yellow because of glue was not allowed to dry before shipping. People on their third IPad2 because screen is bleeding light. Who makes these? Foxconn. Where? China. Is that a design problem or poor assembly? Been hearing how these cracks may be caused by torquing the screws down to tight on the case. I have a new one right in front of me and the design is the same from the last one but I'm being assured that this one won't crack. So if it is the design why are they sending out new ones designed exactly the same? Why are the backs on the new ones not made of metal? Still black plastic.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    i heard of the yellow tint due to glue... but i thought that as it dried it was clear so not defect/quality issue. heck they are shipping it the moment it is assembled and ready... even shipping it driectly from china... fresh from the oven

also the screens? LG... korean.

You want some examples? IPhone 4 screen turning yellow because of glue was not allowed to dry before shipping. People on their third IPad2 because screen is bleeding light. Who makes these? Foxconn. Where? China. Is that a design problem or poor assembly? Been hearing how these cracks may be caused by torquing the screws down to tight on the case. I have a new one right in front of me and the design is the same from the last one but I'm being assured that this one won't crack. So if it is the design why are they sending out new ones designed exactly the same? Why are the backs on the new ones not made of metal? Still black plastic.
    also, we'll have to see if replacements dont crack. some people that post make it sound like, even though they may not have looked for it initially, that their tps were crack free out of box and then appeared after use. we'll see.

maybe hp thinks it is a batch then thats why they'll replace it. they have no choice really even if they know its a design issue and the new backs are not ready... they'll just spin it initially and say it's only 1% and keep replacing while they make the redesign. if only a smaller percentage of those replacements have cracks then they are ok.

if over time we see that all of the tps start cracking... then they will have a bigger issue on their hands.

Page 8 of 57 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast