Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Then don't use plastic. I wonder how many iPad owners handle their devices with kid gloves in order to keep the housing from cracking?

Blaming the materials the manufacturer chose to build the device from is no excuse.
    does either ipad have stereo speaker ports that fire towards the user???

does any tablet have stereo speakers in this orientation?

Not saying it's not a design flaw, but this is really an apples and oranges comparison. I'll add to that, at this point it appears to be purely cosmetic damage and looking at the TP I can tell exactly why it's happening (beyond what has been posted previously about some being dropped).

The problem is not with the use of plastic, but the choice to design the speaker ports with a certain cosmetic look. If the design was different (it's the actual "port" design), still in plastic you would see fewer of these instances of cracking.

So yes some folks are seeing cracking, and it is due to the cost of what is a slick looking cosmetic design. Nothing to do with the use of plastic or cheap construction.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    HP want to charge me 60 bux to replace it =[. Why do that if it is a known defect ..... Now I'm now sure what to do, since I got it launch day with amazon....
    If you just bought it, why would they charge you $60? They quote you $59 and change, but that fee is waived because of the terms of purchase/warranty. They quoted me the fee as well, but before I could even react, I was told it was waived.

Please explain, maybe your situation is different somehow?
    I can understand a lot of the webOS faithful are quick to forgive HP for this issue, but I don't think we should be. Talking about speaker orientation, it's just "cosmetic damage", etc... all excuses. I think so many people have eagerly awaited a webOS tablet for so long that they are so giddy and happy that it is finally here, they simply are too willing to turn a blind eye to any issues it may have. But this is an issue.

HP could have found a way to build in stereo speakers with a metal back if it wanted to. I don't think anyone can seriously make the argument that to build a tablet with both stereo speakers and a metal back is impossible.

If HP wants to be serious and compete with the big boys, then it needs to make devices that can compete on not just a software level, but hardware as well. This is not it.

To HP's TouchPad I say, is that the best you can do? Really? Go back and try again.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    I can understand a lot of the webOS faithful are quick to forgive HP for this issue, but I don't think we should be. Talking about speaker orientation, it's just "cosmetic damage", etc... all excuses. I think so many people have eagerly awaited a webOS tablet for so long that they are so giddy and happy that it is finally here, they simply are too willing to turn a blind eye to any issues it may have. But this is an issue.

HP could have found a way to build in stereo speakers with a metal back if it wanted to. I don't think anyone can seriously make the argument that to build a tablet with both stereo speakers and a metal back is impossible.
    Did you read any of my post? Never said that stereo speakers couldn't be done with metal back, I said the actual design of the ports results in weak plastic around the port area. I simply asked you if the ipad (you were comparing to ipad users and ipad build) has ever had stereo speakers facing the user, then asked if any tablet did.

I said plastic could have been used with a different speaker design that wouldn't have caused this. Have you looked at the speaker ports closely on a TP? If you have you should know and understand EXACTLY what I am saying. I did not and am not apologizing for HP, my post was pointing out the design flaw of the port was the flaw, not the use of plastic. Honestly the use of metal in the same port design would have most likely led to some users reporting deformation of the metal around their speaker ports.

As far as the metal back, personally I wouldn't want to use a touchstone with a metal back, not sure how safe that would be. I know I currently pick up an inductively charged device with a plastic back and it is warm or hot to the touch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    steffej3 likes this.
    There are a million ways HP could have improved the quality of the TouchPad and avoided this issue. They could have made an all-metal back, perhaps with a plastic insert for the TS. Or they could have kept the all-plastic back and put metal inserts around the speakers, if the design was too weak for plastic in that area. Or they could have simply used higher-grade plastic, such as fiberglass reinforced polymers (what they use for guns). Personally I would have much preferred an all-metal back.

IMO, as the TP is now, the plastic just feels like it's fragile enough to break, and the fact that it does actually break doesn't do anything to alleviate that feeling. This is not a suitable showcase for webOS.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Just looked at my case and hey what do you know it is cracked near the speaker...I just talked with Amazon and they are sending me a new one. Now my question is, do I just return the new one because of horrible build quality. I love WebOS but man it seems the products it is put in is always such crap. This is the pre orea effect all over again for me.
    after I read this post I checked my week old touchpad and found 2 cracks on my speaker. I'm a sad kid...
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    does either ipad have stereo speaker ports that fire towards the user???

does any tablet have stereo speakers in this orientation?

In reply to earlier post, Yes, I have a Playbook and the Speakers face forward. They actually cut out the glass in the screen in two small spots. Very good hardware, the best I have seen on any tablet I have picked up. It's a shame that HP put top notch hardware inside then wraped the whole thing in Cheap, Thin Plastic. I really don't think the plastic is the main issue, it's how THIN the plastic is around the ports. My son started this forum on the cracks after he and I noticed it on his new Touchpad. HP was very good at making sure we were taken care of. My only concern is the new replacement will end up the same way. It is definitly a design flaw.
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    So, I just discovered my touchpad has a crack by the speakers too.

What are the best options for getting it repaired?
    So after reading this thread yesterday, I stopped off on my way home at Best Buy and to inspect the two display models. From what I can tell, I and I was looking very carefully, there were no cracks. I would of thought that the display models would certainly be cracked as they are usually mistreated.

For those of you who have cracks, I would suggest returning the tablet. To say think that it will just crack again is a bit presumptuous. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Quote Originally Posted by wingcutter View Post
    I would of thought that the display models would certainly be cracked as they are usually mistreated. .
    If many people actually played with it freely.

The thing is always wired, its hard to hold it far from the table.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Interesting that this issue has not appeared on the front page yet....
    I now have one forming on the right speaker. Smaller than the left speaker crack, but it's there. Same general pattern. Since I can't get a good shot of it, if you are looking at the bottom, almost the center of the oval (left side of it, small part of the oval) appears to be a stress crack. Crack appears to start at the opening & shrinks as it moves outward. I must stress, the crack is VERY small. I'm really starting to wonder if this is a result of the added pressure from the folio case?

What I also noticed is that there seem to be some plastic or paint impurities near that speaker. That's the only place on the device I can find what are really subtle wavy lines, almost like it didn't cure properly. Does this make sense to anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    What I also noticed is that there seem to be some plastic or paint impurities near that speaker. That's the only place on the device I can find what are really subtle wavy lines, almost like it didn't cure properly. Does this make sense to anyone?
    You mean its a design flaw?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Is there anybody who has these cracks who did NOT have their TP in the HP case at some time? I don't have cracks (don't have the case either) but I was looking at the way my wife's iPad snapped into her third-party case. It looks like that system would put some pressure on the corners of her device - right where the TP is weakened by the speaker holes. So, I'm wondering if there might be a connection between cases and cracks on the TPs?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    You mean its a design flaw?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Really don't know. That may be normal & I have to be directly under a light to see it. It's only in that one corner, so it doesn't explain the left speaker crack. Just thought I'd ask if anyone knew about that type of stuff.

I'm with the other poster at this point, but I'd like to see if there are folks with these cracks that aren't using the folio case. I really think it might be added stress over time on an already weaker part of the design.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
    Is there anybody who has these cracks who did NOT have their TP in the HP case at some time? I don't have cracks (don't have the case either) but I was looking at the way my wife's iPad snapped into her third-party case. It looks like that system would put some pressure on the corners of her device - right where the TP is weakened by the speaker holes. So, I'm wondering if there might be a connection between cases and cracks on the TPs?
    I think a lot of the people with the cracks at least for a while didn't have it in the TP case (case wasn't widely available at launch).

Also, from what I can tell the HP case would have nothing to do with these cracks (I look at my speakers multiple times a day).
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I now have one forming on the right speaker. Smaller than the left speaker crack, but it's there. Same general pattern. Since I can't get a good shot of it, if you are looking at the bottom, almost the center of the oval (left side of it, small part of the oval) appears to be a stress crack. Crack appears to start at the opening & shrinks as it moves outward. I must stress, the crack is VERY small. I'm really starting to wonder if this is a result of the added pressure from the folio case?

Did you have yours in the case the entire time you owned it? Mine was out of the box and nearly immediately into the case.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
    I've been treating my TouchPad like glass, pending the Quick Office update and have been holding off buying accessories for the same reason. I have three cracks around each speaker. Here, I was hoping that getting the case would stop the cracks. I'm actually a bit concerned, now, because I don't know whether Amazon will accept the return of an item with cracks like those -- the longest is almost a half inch long, but all are so thin that you can't see them unless you're looking.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Did you have yours in the case the entire time you owned it? Mine was out of the box and nearly immediately into the case.
    Yeah, It's been in the case since day 1. I only took it out to examine the cracking closer & snap a photo. I finally got one photo with the right angle to show the first crack. Will post shortly.
Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast