Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    There is more bad news for me and my TouchPad. Just as I had started to get used to the idea of having to live with the crack near the right speaker, while hoping that the crack remains contained and does not keep increasing, I have just now discovered a second crack starting at the USB port. I am really dissapointed with the build quality of the TouchPad to say the least. My Pre+ had developed a crack around the USB port and now my TouchPad too. At the very least I had hoped that HP would not repeat the hardware quality issues of the Pre with the TouchPad, but alas it was not to be and here we are, stuck with another poorly built piece of hardware.

Does anyone have an idea, what my chances are of having the TouchPad replaced under warranty if and when I get the opportunity of being able to send it to the US for replacement. In other words, will these cracks qualify for an exchange under warranty?
    Last edited by Sanjay; 07/26/2011 at 11:37 PM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Good news: This came just in via twitter:
    HP Quickly Replacing Select TouchPads For Cosmetic Defect [EXCLUSIVE] | Featured, News |webOSroundup
    We are aware of a small number of customers reporting issues with cracks in the plastic housing which appear around the speakers and headset jack ports on their HP TouchPad devices. HP stands behind the quality of our products and will work with our customers to replace them.
    C-Note likes this.
    that's really good they acknowlege it and fast... within 30 days of launch.

but the answer kinda sucks for those who have them already... take it to your store while you have your exchange window available, or we give you a refurb.

but at least acknowledging it means that the newer models should have it fixed.
    Gah! I have the crack. Bottom left speaker, left side, about 1/8th inch long. Have my support ticket with options:

1. Get replacement 'refurb' from HP & then ship mine back to HP.

2. Return it to the point of purchase.

Which is the better option? No idea why this is a hard decision, but it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    Gah! I have the crack. Bottom left speaker, left side, about 1/8th inch long. Have my support ticket with options:

1. Get replacement 'refurb' from HP & then ship mine back to HP.

2. Return it to the point of purchase.

Which is the better option? No idea why this is a hard decision, but it is.
    Based on what we are hearing you will get a new one by returning it to your point of purchase, instead of a refurbished one from HP.

Of course all of the refurbished ones can only be a few weeks old and probably just have new stronger plastic covers.

Still for me, it isn't worth going through the hassle. I will likely keep mine and my wife's which also has a crack.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    bevcraw likes this.
  6. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Why do I read these posts?

So I go and check and I have 2 cracks! 1 at each speaker....***?

If I hadn't seen this I might have been happy in blissful ignorance, but now....argggghh.

So how are we contacting HP about this?
    Since I'm no where near my 2 week return window.
    somline and retroblu like this.
  7. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    well, well looks like I have 45 days not 14.

45 days for all products for Reward Zone Program Premier Silver members*
    Best Buy Store Exchange & Return Policy - Best Buy

But if I do exchange it am I just getting another first run model that will crack as well?
    And I already mailed in for the $50, doesn't that muddy the waters?

oh the joy.
    Wow. This is both so very sad and yet so very comical. I have been wanting a webOS device for YEARS. I am linked in to the news and community and I want to spend my money on a webOS device. Everyday that goes by, another reason to not buy a webOS device pops up. Sigh.

I can't say that I expected much from HP. I have had horrible experience with their hardware on both their low and mid range laptops over the years.

I am totally bummed out about this.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    I noticed there is a determined effort not to post pics here. So far we have 3 pics, and they all tell me a story. Why no other pics?
    NNJ
    cobrakon likes this.
    Did you see the link above from webosroundup? They have a pic. And they have a response directly from HP that says...

"We are aware of a small number of customers reporting issues with cracks in the plastic housing which appear around the speakers and headset jack ports on their HP TouchPad devices. HP stands behind the quality of our products and will work with our customers to resolve the issue. [Edited at HP's request for clarification]"

And there are a couple of pics already. You just dont believe the quote is directly from HP acknowlodging the issue? or don't believe people posting and need to see at least 60 pics of cracks? I actually dont see it being a positive to show 60 pics of cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    I noticed there is a determined effort not to post pics here. So far we have 3 pics, and they all tell me a story. Why no other pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    Why do I read these posts?

So I go and check and I have 2 cracks! 1 at each speaker....***?

If I hadn't seen this I might have been happy in blissful ignorance, but now....argggghh.

So how are we contacting HP about this?
    Since I'm no where near my 2 week return window.
    Agree. I was blissfully ignorant too. Then I looked really close & it was there. I started on the live help chat, then they gave me a number to call for service @ HP. The number is probably the same, so you can probably skip the chat part, because they can't finish the ticket online, it has to be a live call: (877)426-3777.

Good luck, and welcome to the club (even if you didn't want to be here).
    dweigh likes this.
    I would, but I can't get a good shot of it. It's what I would call a micro crack & it's only about 1/8th of an inch long. If I'm not in flourescent light, or really bright light, I can't see it. I can always catch it with my fingernail though. Regardless, I'll try to post if I can get it at the right angle. ***edit***Pre camera just can't focus on the closeup needed for this, none turned out. Will try with a better cam @ home later tonight.***

Still haven't decided if I want to go refurb or return it to the store for new. Part of me is hoping we can get some details soon on the refurbs & if the case has been slightly improved to prevent this.
    Last edited by steffej3; 07/27/2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Update on pic...
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    "We are aware of a small number of customers reporting issues with cracks in the plastic housing which appear around the speakers and headset jack ports on their HP TouchPad devices. HP stands behind the quality of our products and will work with our customers to resolve the issue. [Edited at HP's request for clarification]"

In my chat session I had nearly the exact same quote. Slightly modified in this type of format: "HP stands behind the quality of our products and will work with you to resolve the issue."

Service, both chat & phone was very nice & responsive. I had to repeat my email about 3 times on the live call using F for Frank, S for Steven, etc. but regardless of the rest of the script, it was helpful & brief. The only question that was mildly abrasive was:

"Can you tell me why the bottom is cracked?" I chuckled on the phone & said I wish I knew.

After a few more words, I was on hold, then got the approval. If I had decided to have them process it, they would have put a hold on my credit card...mine was an obscure, like $369 or something. Not sure why that's been different for people, but I was quoted two different hold amounts on the call vs. the chat. Chat said $400. They also quoted me different service fees, but then both quickly noted that the fees are waived b/c of the number of days left on the premium service (or whatever it's called).

Anyway, that's my experience. It's also not a phantom issue & has zero to do with someone's treatment of the device, so let's put that to rest.

Oh, and they survey you after the call. My only issue with that, is I have 3 of them to respond to. I get having 2, because of the chat & live call, but why 3 & 3 different case numbers for the same case?
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    Did you see the link above from webosroundup? They have a pic. And they have a response directly from HP that says...

And there are a couple of pics already. You just dont believe the quote is directly from HP acknowlodging the issue? or don't believe people posting and need to see at least 60 pics of cracks? I actually dont see it being a positive to show 60 pics of cracks.
    I've seen the pics, and it might be indeed that a very small number of devices may develop a crack off its own. I do not believe, however, that this is an epidemic, and that ALL the TouchPads will develop cracks off their own, as some in this thread here are trying to convey.
    I have edited the 2 pics posted to show what I mean. Like I said in another post, I have been repairing electronics and computers for 15 years now, and some of those complaining about cracks are lucky this device is now making a debut, and getting them replaced. For, like in the pics I attach here, if this was a seasoned device, the warranty would have been voided.
    I have a year and a half old Treo Pro that has 1 tiny nick on it (obtained 2 weeks ago when my 3-yr old dropped it) that I can wipe clean and fool but the most observant that it is brand new. I can't imagine for the life of me getting the kind of damage on a 1 month (not even so old) $600 device that is seen in the pics. But accidents do happen.
    Point for the request for the pics, is that it is one thing to jump on this thread declaring the thing magically cracked (and plastic will crack, once adversely pressured), blast build quality, scream Pre- epidemic (I'm sure if no one had ever mentioned oreo effect, nobody would have twisted their phone to see what was happening and stressed the mechanism), when truthfully, it could have been user treatment that caused the problem. With pics, everybody can see for themselves and make a judgement call.
    Like I said, accidents do happen, but I will grab that salt jar when someone here declares an 'issue', posts no pics, and berate 'build quality' trying to put a swing like HP robbed them somehow.

Point: Plastic WILL crack. Soon, or eventually. From force, or from age. I had my Treo 650 so long, it took until the plastic housing crumbled in my hand to put it aside. My Treo Pro will more than likely go the same way, or crumble in a drawer. And I still will be getting 2 TouchPads (wife gets the first), plastic and all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NNJ
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    HP want to charge me 60 bux to replace it =[. Why do that if it is a known defect ..... Now I'm now sure what to do, since I got it launch day with amazon....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    then go through amazon instead and have them ship you a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    HP want to charge me 60 bux to replace it =[. Why do that if it is a known defect ..... Now I'm now sure what to do, since I got it launch day with amazon....
    Point: Plastic WILL crack. Soon, or eventually. From force, or from age.
    Then don't use plastic. I wonder how many iPad owners handle their devices with kid gloves in order to keep the housing from cracking?

Blaming the materials the manufacturer chose to build the device from is no excuse.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    See what I mean? "known defect"

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Then don't use plastic. I wonder how many iPad owners handle their devices with kid gloves in order to keep the housing from cracking?

Blaming the materials the manufacturer chose to build the device from is no excuse.
    I'm not excusing anything. You go buy the iPad instead. I will buy the Touchpad. Don't buy this if you want a metal housed product is all I'm saying. I think it is idiocy to buy something and expect it to behave like something else altogether.
    NNJ
    Yesterday I felt something rough on the edge of my TP, and when I reached down to rub it, a piece, the length of the left speaker (top), came off in my hand. And there is also a crack on the right one.

I've already done the rebate, so I phoned HP using the number provided above by steffej3. Initially he said that it would need to be escalated to a Level 3 person, and someone would call me back with in 24 hrs. Then he put me on hold for a bit & came back saying that this was a "Hot Topic" and he would be able to resolve my situation.

They're putting a hold on my credit card for $365, and said the "new" one will be here in 2-3 days. One word of advice....don't give them a Discover Card number. I spent 10 minutes on hold while he tried to authorize it, before he came back & said they couldn't take Discover. I don't mind the inconvenience if everything works out in the end. The device is worth it.
    steffej3 likes this.
    I've seen the pics, and it might be indeed that a very small number of devices may develop a crack off its own. I do not believe, however, that this is an epidemic, and that ALL the TouchPads will develop cracks off their own, as some in this thread here are trying to convey.
    ....Like I said, accidents do happen, but I will grab that salt jar when someone here declares an 'issue', posts no pics, and berate 'build quality' trying to put a swing like HP robbed them somehow.

Point: Plastic WILL crack. Soon, or eventually. From force, or from age. I had my Treo 650 so long, it took until the plastic housing crumbled in my hand to put it aside. My Treo Pro will more than likely go the same way, or crumble in a drawer. And I still will be getting 2 TouchPads (wife gets the first), plastic and all.
    I am sure there are sensationalist posts that warn of doom, but this post is so far off. Any micro cracking like I have at my speaker is clearly a stress issue (it also doesn't look like the massive crack posted here). For all I know it could be caused by the added stress from the form of the folio case, but I have babied this thing. It's never been dropped, kicked, etc.

I already noted I have a launch Pre in my posession that doesn't have so much as a scratch & I never returned the friggin thing for oreo, power button issues, ghastly headset, or finnicky volume button. A few months ago I did plus my Pre, but my wife still has the original in the condition I left it (we replaced hers, which was mistreated).

Look, I've been here long enough, and a big enough supporter of webOS to deserve an ounce of trust on this. This is no ACCIDENT. History in repair or not, degredation from standard use after less than a month is a problem. I'm the LAST person that wants to grandstand a problem. I'm the type that will likely send it to HP b/c I don't want my local rep telling everyone they crack. The deal is though, it's happening, and it's happening to those of us who take care of our stuff. I have no reason to make this up. I could return it no questions asked & the store would never even see the crack it's so small. But it's THERE.

I'm sure there are some who truly damage their own device & hijack a thread. I'm also sure there are those who troll around trying to kick HP & webOS. I'm not one of those, and I have a good bet, most of these folks reporting this aren't either. I'm just glad HP is not a cynical as this post & has given me options.
    4aSong and shrxwin like this.