Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 64651525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 1126
Like Tree67Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by surrealchemist View Post
    Just got off the phone with CS Rep (who I could hardly understand because of her thick accent) and was told that cracks are not covered under the warranty anymore? And that if I wanted it fixed it would be to the tune of $385. When did this happen? Online chat support told me the same thing. I'm considerably annoyed considering I've had my 32 gb Touchpad since the firesale and have taken great care not to put too much pressure on the speakers. Finally noticed a hairline crack near the left speaker yesterday and thought I could get it fixed before my warranty expires in October. I'm having it sent in to fix the backlight bleed though I'm sure they'll end up swapping it with an equally bad or worse screen.

Oh, and I was charged $14 to speak to someone with broken english read a troubleshooting script.

FML.
    Wow, that blows. If you're willing to spend the time and effort, I'd complain to their (American) corporate office about how the call was handled and your overall crappy experience. They definitely shouldn't have charged you for a warranty-related call. The whole cracks things seems like B.S. too, but I'm sure there's some way they can get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
    Wow, that blows. If you're willing to spend the time and effort, I'd complain to their (American) corporate office about how the call was handled and your overall crappy experience. They definitely shouldn't have charged you for a warranty-related call. The whole cracks things seems like B.S. too, but I'm sure there's some way they can get away with it.
    That's actually a good idea. I'll try tomorrow and update here.

Yeah, when I called customer service the automated message states that there's a per incident fee 90 days after purchase for Customer Support. I think It's pretty ridiculous that my warranty hasn't even expired and they're already refusing to fix something as common as this. A flaw that exists due to HP's shoddy design.

It's a shame, WebOS deserves better. I installed Luna CE a few days ago and my Touchpad feels like new.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I rang up and the guy said "normally sir we would fix this for free but you are out of warranty by a week"

...gutted

oh and then he quoted me £250 to repair it
    so i got my touchpad from TigerDirect's secret stash back in June of THIS YEAR. so my touchpad is only 3 months old.

-the dreaded crack has appeared after 3 months of use. FYI, it was in the hp stock case since day 1. anyways, long story short:

-called hp support India, where they give fake american names

-they said they no longer support this defect even though i have 284 days of warranty left

-i escalated to supervisors, twice

-they both said no, i wanted to talk to the senior supervisor, who wasnt available. they said they'd get the sr. supervisor to call me back. i doubt i'll get a call back.

-i even asked for two of the senior supervisors names. i got two generic american names, just like my original agent.

(just for kicks, the names were Charles Wright, Joe Marshal, and Sam Taylor. i asked where were they located, they said India. then i said what is their real names since these are obviously generic fake american names. they said they couldn't disclose that)

what recourse do i have aside from sending a complaint to some email black hole??
    Hey everyone,i dont know if im in the right spot but i have some good news i thought i would share with all my fellow hp touchpad owners that have busted battery covers on there touchpads and are stuck with them.I actually found a website that sells the back covers for the hp touchpads.I actually called hp last night and got the run around that my touchpad wasnt covered and i pretty much was stuck with a busted touchpad so sfte much researching and searching online i found a place that sells the back cover or battery cover they call it.If interested just message me and ill give you my email addy and a link to were you can buy a back cover for your touchpad! Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by charles2883 View Post
    Hey everyone,i dont know if im in the right spot but i have some good news i thought i would share with all my fellow hp touchpad owners that have busted battery covers on there touchpads and are stuck with them.I actually found a website that sells the back covers for the hp touchpads.I actually called hp last night and got the run around that my touchpad wasnt covered and i pretty much was stuck with a busted touchpad so sfte much researching and searching online i found a place that sells the back cover or battery cover they call it.If interested just message me and ill give you my email addy and a link to were you can buy a back cover for your touchpad! Thanks
    Seems legit O_o
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
    It is a legit place as far as i know. Im hoping it is cause i just payed them through paypal for a new back cover
    Quote Originally Posted by iamidle View Post
    so i got my touchpad from TigerDirect's secret stash back in June of THIS YEAR. so my touchpad is only 3 months old.

-the dreaded crack has appeared after 3 months of use. FYI, it was in the hp stock case since day 1. anyways, long story short:

-called hp support India, where they give fake american names

-they said they no longer support this defect even though i have 284 days of warranty left

-i escalated to supervisors, twice

-they both said no, i wanted to talk to the senior supervisor, who wasnt available. they said they'd get the sr. supervisor to call me back. i doubt i'll get a call back.

-i even asked for two of the senior supervisors names. i got two generic american names, just like my original agent.

(just for kicks, the names were Charles Wright, Joe Marshal, and Sam Taylor. i asked where were they located, they said India. then i said what is their real names since these are obviously generic fake american names. they said they couldn't disclose that)

what recourse do i have aside from sending a complaint to some email black hole??
    A bottle of super glue, some 3M DI-NOC, a razor blade, and at least a 6-pack should fix your TouchPad right up. At least, they did in my case. :beer:
  9. CW2
    Hey Guys,

Just got this back from CS:-

3:10 PM CW: Hi
    3:10 PM Sam: Hi CW
    3:10 PM Sam: Thank you for contacting HP webOS customer Support. Please give me a moment to review the info you provided.
    3:11 PM CW:no problem
    3:12 PM Sam: I understand that but as per the policy the cosmetics damages on the device are not covered under warranty.
    3:13 PM CW: i've looked on the internet and there are countless examples of touchpads having similar issues though?
    3:15 PM Sam: I understand that as per the new update we are not allowed to repair the device which as cosmetics damage.
    3:16 PM CW: What new update?
    3:19 PM Sam: According to the new Updated information on definition of a cosmetic condition and handling of cracked housing inquiries. Cosmetic conditions such as scratched, damaged, broken, dented, worn, discoloration or transparency defects (stains, fingerprints, etc.) are not considered IW.
    3:22 PM CW: Thank you for clarifying that. I'll update the users of webosnation (56 pages of similar issues) with this information.
    3:23 PM Sam: I am sorry for the inconvenience.
    3:23 PM Sam: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    3:23 PM CW: that is all thankyou!
    3:24 PM Sam: If you still have any issue regarding this then please come back to us at anytime referring to this chat session ID...

Not great service from HP then...
    Quote Originally Posted by CW2 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Just got this back from CS:-

3:10 PM CW: Hi
    3:10 PM Sam: Hi CW
    3:10 PM Sam: Thank you for contacting HP webOS customer Support. Please give me a moment to review the info you provided.
    3:11 PM CW:no problem
    3:12 PM Sam: I understand that but as per the policy the cosmetics damages on the device are not covered under warranty.
    3:13 PM CW: i've looked on the internet and there are countless examples of touchpads having similar issues though?
    3:15 PM Sam: I understand that as per the new update we are not allowed to repair the device which as cosmetics damage.
    3:16 PM CW: What new update?
    3:19 PM Sam: According to the new Updated information on definition of a cosmetic condition and handling of cracked housing inquiries. Cosmetic conditions such as scratched, damaged, broken, dented, worn, discoloration or transparency defects (stains, fingerprints, etc.) are not considered IW.
    3:22 PM CW: Thank you for clarifying that. I'll update the users of webosnation (56 pages of similar issues) with this information.
    3:23 PM Sam: I am sorry for the inconvenience.
    3:23 PM Sam: Is there anything else I can help you with?
    3:23 PM CW: that is all thankyou!
    3:24 PM Sam: If you still have any issue regarding this then please come back to us at anytime referring to this chat session ID...

Not great service from HP then...
    I guess they're sick of fixing their own design defect with another case that will again crack. If this had been tablet that hadn't crashed and burned (I. E. An android tablet) , I don't think that would fly.
    Quote Originally Posted by happynoodleboy View Post
    I have had my touchpad since launch day and I noticed today that the case is is cracked by the speaker. I was wondering if anybody else has had this issue? I know it's a minor problem and I could probably fix it myself but for the $600 I paid I plan on exchanging it for another. Other than this it love the touchpad so far. Has anybody tried the case yet and if so what do they think about it? Thanks.
    I know I'm way late to this thread, but I had to ask: What were you listening to when the TouchPad case was cracked by the speaker? Smashing Pumpkins?
    Mine is out of warranty now too..so what is the diy way of fixing this or at least stopping it getting worse?
    Invest 5 bucks for super glue and five minutes of your time, fixed mine over a year ago and it's still holding up great. It'f funny how people in here spend all this time with CS and hassling shipping their units back for what, a $99/$149 device? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Invest 5 bucks for super glue and five minutes of your time, fixed mine over a year ago and it's still holding up great. It'f funny how people in here spend all this time with CS and hassling shipping their units back for what, a $99/$149 device? lol
    i honestly don't care if it cost me 100 or 500. a defect is a defect and it is the principle of the matter that ****es me off personally. and the fact that my device is only 3 months old is insult to injury.

i wish someone would start a class action law suit.

alas, if nothing can be done though superglue it will be.

however, let it be known that i will never buy another HP product again if i can avoid it. I also will never recommend hp to my friends or family or at any company i ever work at. hopefully enough of us who got screwed by them will take a similar stance and maybe the consumer's voice will be heard in the long run.
    All I can say is that if your device is only 3 months old you had opportunity to learn about this issue long before purchase, so a class action suit is a lil over the top.

HP had upset me the point of abandoning them.... we will see what Open webOS brings before I commit to not purchasing their products. The crack to me is what it is, could have sent the wifes in, decided I would rather not deal with the hassle, it doesn't bother her or me in usability (hers isn't at the speaker but in between them).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by iamidle View Post
    i honestly don't care if it cost me 100 or 500. a defect is a defect and it is the principle of the matter that ****es me off personally. and the fact that my device is only 3 months old is insult to injury.

i wish someone would start a class action law suit.

alas, if nothing can be done though superglue it will be.

however, let it be known that i will never buy another HP product again if i can avoid it. I also will never recommend hp to my friends or family or at any company i ever work at. hopefully enough of us who got screwed by them will take a similar stance and maybe the consumer's voice will be heard in the long run.
    I wouldn't say that discovering a crack in a 'firesale' priced machine is exactly 'getting screwd' by HP!!!

I suspect one of the reasons the case cracks is because of the expansion differentials in the hard but brittle plastic, caused by heat (particularly when charged in a Touchstone unit).. and in fact if/when HP became aware of it, this might have been yet another reason why they 'spat the dummy' with the entire production run anyway!

It's 'only' a case! If instead the batteries were exploding and filling your face with shards of shattered Gorilla Glass... then that may be a different and 'class-action' worthy scenario!

You can buy new back-covers.

I used 2-part epoxy resin on mine.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/21/2012 at 05:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    I suspect one of the reasons the case cracks is because of the expansion differentials in the hard but brittle plastic, caused by heat (particularly when charged in a Touchstone unit).. and in fact if/when HP became aware of it, this might have been yet another reason why they 'spat the dummy' with the entire production run anyway
    Another reason would likely be the lack of radiusing on the speaker ports creates an inherent weakness in the design.

Having said that, I have no cracks round the speakers… ******* thing went around the 3.5mm socket n now has a chunk missing from that area
    Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
    Quote Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
    Another reason would likely be the lack of radiusing on the speaker ports creates an inherent weakness in the design.

Having said that, I have no cracks round the speakers… ******* thing went around the 3.5mm socket n now has a chunk missing from that area
    Sure.. any 'hole' creates a waek point doesn't it.
    HP once muttered something about 'overtightening of retaining scres during assembly' being responsible.. but mine only started cracking after I got a Touchstone - about 4 months after I initially got the TP.
    I used to smuggly inspect it regularly! No cracks!
    Until...

Have you used a Touchstone?

~8~
    Since this discussion is going that way.... it's a multitude of factors, my 32 gig is older than the wifes.... both always on TS.... she holds hers differently than I hold mine... she has the crack and it's not from any hole as I have said before. It may be a combination of factors, but definitely about how/where you hold it, its a stress fracture in the plastic.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    anyone can direct me to get a replacement back cover..?...the cracks on the speakers are an eye sore..and it happened that during use , one of the plastics broke off...leave a unsightly gap at the speakers....